Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you care so much about others opinions on this board if everyone seems to disregard yours?
I'm just interested in what people think it would take for another all-rounder to leapfrog Watson in the pecking order.

Given Watson has averaged 31 since the start of 2011, anything above that could be regarded as an improvement.

Do you have a problem with that? Or do you just want my attention?

Last edited:

I'm just interested in what people think it would take for another all-rounder to leapfrog Watson in the pecking order.

Given Watson has averaged 31 since the start of 2011, anything above that could be regarded as an improvement.

Do you have a problem with that? Or do you just want my attention?

Nobody will change your opinion on Watto so just give the argument a rest...

Nobody will change your opinion on Watto so just give the argument a rest...
Why?

I've asked a reasonable question: what would it take for another all-rounder to leapfrog Watson, given he's averaged 31 since the start of 2011?

Are you so paralysed by irrational support for Watson that you're unable to even think about offering a sensible answer?

Instead, you're going to spend your time bizarrely insisting that the question shouldn't be allowed?

Last edited:
What I don't understand is how Hilfenhaus gets a call up ahead of Behrendorff, Sayers and Bollinger.

Would leave us with Johnson, Starc and Bollinger.

Sayers isn't fast enough for Boof's liking and they probably want Behrendorff to get some experience rather than sit on the bench.

Interesting that Faulkner didn't make it. I guess he's a long way behind now

If Mitch Marsh averages 31, it'll increase his FC average. Surely not too many debutants in Aust's top six have been in that scenario since the 1800s?

That's the benchmark for him I'm guessing...

Michael Clarke averaged mid 30s when he made his test debut. Was two years older than Mitch.

Mitch has averaged 49 with the bat over the last 12 months. A good chance to give him a shot.

Michael Clarke averaged mid 30s when he made his test debut. Was two years older than Mitch.

Mitch has averaged 49 with the bat over the last 12 months. A good chance to give him a shot.

Watson has never really been what you would have liked with the bat considering his first class record. And he certainly created almost Johnson levels of frustration with his continual brain farts.

Be interesting to see if Marsh can get some runs. I don't expect him to do that well considering that he would have never played any of the Pakistan bowlers and they have tricky spin bowlers without 42 Degrees being in the team.

Great experience for him if he gets a start though. My big issue is that like Watson, he's a bit of an lbw candidate early on. Movement is limited when he first gets to the crease and his footwork is laboured - except when he's running down the pitch to try and put the ball out of the park.

Watson has never really been what you would have liked with the bat considering his first class record. And he certainly created almost Johnson levels of frustration with his continual brain farts.

Be interesting to see if Marsh can get some runs. I don't expect him to do that well considering that he would have never played any of the Pakistan bowlers and they have tricky spin bowlers without 42 Degrees being in the team.

Great experience for him if he gets a start though. My big issue is that like Watson, he's a bit of an lbw candidate early on. Movement is limited when he first gets to the crease and his footwork is laboured - except when he's running down the pitch to try and put the ball out of the park.
Watson is in trouble and he knows it, he wanted to go as a bat only and was told no. Clarke will basically need to be unable to walk not to play. They will play two spinners and this is wher it gets tricky. Mitch Marsh is batting 6. If Clarke plays the order will be Rogers, Warner, Doolan, Clarke, Smith, Marsh, Haddin, Johnson, Starc, O'Keefe & Lyon. If Clarke does not play - Hughes will open, Warner will drop to 3 and they may drop Lyon and bring in Maxwell to strengthen up the batting.

They really like Maxwell (i don't) but the wraps on him from those in the know are huge.

Watson is in trouble and he knows it, he wanted to go as a bat only and was told no. Clarke will basically need to be unable to walk not to play. They will play two spinners and this is wher it gets tricky. Mitch Marsh is batting 6. If Clarke plays the order will be Rogers, Warner, Doolan, Clarke, Smith, Marsh, Haddin, Johnson, Starc, O'Keefe & Lyon. If Clarke does not play - Hughes will open, Warner will drop to 3 and they may drop Lyon and bring in Maxwell to strengthen up the batting.

They really like Maxwell (i don't) but the wraps on him from those in the know are huge.

I like Maxwell, think he's got disgusting amounts of talent, it's his brain that gets in the way.

That wraps on Mitch Marsh must be even bigger, if he's pencilled in at 6. I don't see his brain as a problem at all. The penny has dropped with him, you can see that.

Love it if SOK gets to play.

Just imagine with Watto out the selection dilemma of the old NSP with Invers and co. Can't drop Lyon with his recent performances as the only other (pure) spinner on tour is a disfavoured O'Keefe, so it'd have to be a choice between a player with the last name Marsh and their golden child Maxwell.

Who ever can't see the talent Mitch Marsh has rocks in there head. To even remotely suggest he isn't ready, not good enough, etc. etc. etc. can go and suck a fat one.

The kid has single handedly ripped apart some of the best quicks in the world to more than ever show he is capable at this level

Just imagine with Watto out the selection dilemma of the old NSP with Invers and co. Can't drop Lyon with his recent performances as the only other (pure) spinner on tour is a disfavoured O'Keefe, so it'd have to be a choice between a player with the last name Marsh and their golden child Maxwell.
I am fairly confident O'Keefe will play. As will Marsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson is in trouble and he knows it, he wanted to go as a bat only and was told no.
What do you mean?

He scored a century in the last Ashes series. Are you saying that counts for the less than the fact he's been short of runs for three-and-a-half years?

I don't think you should be allowed to say that.

Considdering our past endeavours on the subcontinent, i seriously hope we pick O'Keefe and Lyon together. They need to do the bulk of the work.

Agreed if the pitches are like the ones england got then the pace bowlers are backup bowlers and not much more, spinners will be doing the bulk of the work after the first hour, would rather thats lyon and okeefe in tandem instead of smith/maxwell backing up okeefe.

Sorry that's just crap.

We're all happy to jerk off at the altar of Boof, but the selectors played just a significant role in sorting our side out last year.

Agreed if the pitches are like the ones england got then the pace bowlers are backup bowlers and not much more, spinners will be doing the bulk of the work after the first hour, would rather thats lyon and okeefe in tandem instead of smith/maxwell backing up okeefe.

How spin friendly will the pitches be? Not sure it has enough firepower to take 20 wickets but could we see...
Warner
Rogers
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Marsh
Haddin
Maxwell
O'Keefe
Johnson
Lyon
Given both Smith and Warner can bowl some spin probably unlikely I guess.

Sorry that's just crap.

We're all happy to jerk off at the altar of Boof, but the selectors played just a significant role in sorting our side out last year.

Fair enough, they hit the nail on the head with bringing back Harris and Rogers to all the neysayers. Just lost a bit of esteem for them after India.

Also, I don't agree with everything Boof has to say. The faster the better is a load of s**t, players like Bird and McKay can run through teams rather than having the chance to see the stump being snapped in half by a Starc inswinger.

A few questions:

- When did Starc all of a sudden vault above Siddle? I can't see Starc performing well there (or anywhere in test cricket).
- Why don't they think Hughes can bat at 3? I'd have him there instead of Doolan, let alone if Clarke is out. Why break up the Warner and Rogers opening partnership when Hughes is perfectly capable of batting at 3?
- If we're going to be playing on raging turners, why is Marsh an automatic selection as the all-rounder? Wouldn't we be better served playing Maxwell as the all-rounder, together with O'Keefe and Lyon in the bowling lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back