Opinion Where are priority picks at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have been happy for them to have got an end of first round compensation pick. Especially if it meant the Frawley compensation wouldn't be pick 3.

The so called 'priority pick' is dead and the AFL should take it off the table. If Melbourne can't get anything at all then what will it take?

Yeah, they're where they're at through poor admin, poor management and deliberate shitness.
They have been at the bottom of the ladder enough to have plenty of early draft picks, tanked to get more and are still rubbish. Now that they have appeared to tidy up their operations (through intervention and a heap of assistance) they have to make something with what they've got before being gifted anything more. Bloody lucky to be getting a draft pick relative to their ladder position as it is, let alone more + compensation.

If a club has been a shambles on and off the field over a number of years, a pimply 18 year old wont fix the underlying issues, and will likely just leave in a few years because the club is rubbish. Draft pick achieves nothing, Melb have proven that themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In relation to my comment about "what will it take to get a priority pick?" It was more in relation to the system and not the football club of Melbourne. If a club such as Melbourne and their win/losses over the years can't be given a priority pick even at the end of the first round then the actual concept of a priority pick should be taken off the table.

No it shouldnt. I have no problem with it, but it should be very rare that one is awarded. Win/loss ratio isnt the be all and end all either. Nelb have had enough high draft picks over a sustained period that they shouldnt be in this position. The problem clearly isnt that they need more draft picks.

So if it is to be still an option outline for me what would it take? I am in total agreeance that one extra top end draftee is not going to magically turn around the fortunes for a football club on the field. If governance and financial standing and other areas are taken into account I would hate to see where a football club would have to be for a priority pick to be handed out.

So if it is to be still an option outline for me what would it take? I am in total agreeance that one extra top end draftee is not going to magically turn around the fortunes for a football club on the field. If governance and financial standing and other areas are taken into account I would hate to see where a football club would have to be for a priority pick to be handed out.

Yeah, I'm with you jjami. It's a bit concerning.

I'm also a bit dubious about the reasoning they've used, such as anticipating the Frawley and Clark trades: surely those are potential additional risks more than benefits?

Maybe once a few more years have passed and clubs aren't feeling the effects of the compromised drafts they'll lower the bar a bit.

I kind of agree. I'm of the opinion that if a club had a year as bad as Melbourne last year (without having all the previous issues) that they should be in line for some sort of support (that could be an end of first round pick for example). I don't necessarily believe Melbourne should have got one this or last year, but i don't want them to be the bench mark of you have to be worse than them

I have no interest whatsoever in Melbourne getting a PP, but it's strange to look back.

Hawthorn got Roughy and Buddy in 2004 after playing in a prelim final in 2001 -- and STILL got another PP a year later (which they wasted on Beau Dowler).

Collingwood got Pendles and Thomas in 2005 after playing in grand finals in 2002-3. And nobody batted an eyelid then.

I reckon the Dees haven't made a prelim or better since 2000.

I have no interest whatsoever in Melbourne getting a PP, but it's strange to look back.

Hawthorn got Roughy and Buddy in 2004 after playing in a prelim final in 2001 -- and STILL got another PP a year later (which they wasted on Beau Dowler).

Collingwood got Pendles and Thomas in 2005 after playing in grand finals in 2002-3. And nobody batted an eyelid then.

Underrated post, people carry on about Sydney and Melbourne if you want an example of a club that has exploited the system to the nth degree Hawthorn is your example.

The rules were changed in 2006 (wonder why)

Melbourne had priority picks in 2008 & 2009 and haven't won a wooden spoon since. Since then the rules changed to a secret formula.
If the Saints stay at the bottom for another couple of years, they may well be entitled to ask. On the old rules, Melbourne would have got first and 3rd pick this year and Saints 2nd & 19th. At the same time it pushes everyone elses pick up (or down, whichever way you look at it.)

It is not like the last year or so hasn't seen plenty of assistance for Melbourne. Financial assistance, board intervention and a shiny messiah funded in part by the AFL. They have had loads of help which would have been taken into consideration (I assume) and as stated haven't even won a wooden spoon for 5 years. Let's see what they do with the help given, new coach and admin before we gift them priority draft picks.

The rules were changed in 2006 (wonder why)

Melbourne had priority picks in 2008 & 2009 and haven't won a wooden spoon since. Since then the rules changed to a secret formula.
If the Saints stay at the bottom for another couple of years, they may well be entitled to ask. On the old rules, Melbourne would have got first and 3rd pick this year and Saints 2nd & 19th. At the same time it pushes everyone elses pick up (or down, whichever way you look at it.)

It is not like the last year or so hasn't seen plenty of assistance for Melbourne. Financial assistance, board intervention and a shiny messiah funded in part by the AFL. They have had loads of help which would have been taken into consideration (I assume) and as stated haven't even won a wooden spoon for 5 years. Let's see what they do with the help given, new coach and admin before we gift them priority draft picks.
Its also hard to fully understand the role the expansion clubs have played the last couple of years. They have "won" the wooden spoons that Melbourne probably would have got but they have also unbalanced the drafts the last few years. This has been well and truely discussed but I'm sure the AFL would like to have a few years mostly normal before they consider PP again

I would prefer if the PP is given, it must be traded on before the draft. This will enable the club to potentially get a quality seasoned player rather than the 18 year old. I also think that the highest PP should be after the teams that didn't make the finals; Pick 11. It has some currency but doesn't effect other clubs that struggled in that year and didn't get a pick.

I would prefer if the PP is given, it must be traded on before the draft. This will enable the club to potentially get a quality seasoned player rather than the 18 year old. I also think that the highest PP should be after the teams that didn't make the finals; Pick 11. It has some currency but doesn't effect other clubs that struggled in that year and didn't get a pick.
I like the theory but not sure with anything that must be used in a certain way. What if there is no one that wants to move there for around that price that fits the team? Does it devalue the pick or do they just get forced to use it on a player they wouldnt want?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back