Preview lions v Cats at the Gabbatoir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1689668672106.jpeg

Preview – Round 19, 2023, Brisbane Lions v Geelong Cats

WHERE AND WHEN:
The Gabba, Saturday 22nd July, 4.35PM AEST

Another preview after a loss, I am cursed.

Just a smallish review of Friday nights efforts:

I havent had much of a chance to read through the review thread after Fridaynights loss to Melbourne.

But, I am assuming the doomsayers are out in force, Sack Fagan, sack the whole coaching staff, we need Damien Hardwick or Chris Scott to take over from Fages at the end of the year, Gunston is cooked, Zorks is half baked, Oscar is not good enough, Top 2 chances are gone, Premiership chances are gone. Lester is a God, And all that!

I am going to steel the now infamous words of Paul Keating and say “It was the recession/loss we had to have”.

Some may also be sick of the word “Learnings” but as far as I am concerned, WE NEED TO “LEARN”, THAT IS NOT THE WAY TO CLOSE OUT A GAME.

The defend the game mindset, is not a bad one if the midfield are still winning the ball and moving the ball forward, but when you have a midfield that refuses to do the hard stuff, that result was bound to happen at some point and for me I am glad that it has happened now and I really hope they get to work in not allowing the negative game style to come in, late in games in the future.

Ultimately I thought it was our midfield that lost us that game, they were terrible to start the game and ended the game the same way. The midfield numbers were pretty sad, Clugga 22 disposals, Neale 19, Lyons 19, Bailey 19, Ashcroft 17, Zorko 16, Berry 8, Rayner 8 disposals. That is not a profile that is going to win you many games of football.

Clearances and contested possessions were equally as poor with 45 clearances to 32 and 146 to 125 contested possessions, both way in Melbournes favour. Once again not a formula that is going to win many games of Afl Football. We evened the numbers up during the second and third quarters and played some bloody good footy off the back of it.

The work of our defensive players with ball in hand is what gave us the spark during our brilliant run in the second and third quarters, where I honestly believe was the best football we have played under Fagans tenure and Premiership winning quality, if only we can play that way for a full 4 quarter effort.

Looking at the game as a whole I don’t really think we defend the larger spaces of the ‘G’ very well and it took us a little bit to get into the groove of the game. But when we did we were all over them, until we stopped.

Anyway onto Geelong:

The team that for me, is the one team that we really haven’t matched up on well in previous games and come September is the team I feel will be hardest for us to beat, especially in Melbourne and at the dreaded MCG. This game thankfully is at the Gabba, but to be honest I am not sure if that is enough, Geelong have built their year from being comprehensively beaten by Collingwood in Round 1, it was only 22 points in the end but it felt much bigger.

Didn’t get their first win until Round 4, against the Hawkers which was tight until half time before they blew them away in the second half to win by 82 points. Bit better than win loss from there to be 9w and 7 losses and a draw 0n 38 Premiership points and into 5th on the ladder. Coming into some real form at the right time as you would expect from Geelong.

Lions are 12 wins 5 losses On 48 Premiership points and 3rd on the ladder.

So should really be a cracker of a game and building to a perfect night atmosphere with the twighlight kickoff. Love the atmosphere of the night games most of all.

I feel this will be the game where we will find out if the Dunkley acquisition has really paid off, he has done extremely well until this point matching up on the oppositions best for most games. Must have been one hell of a corky for him to be out for a couple of weeks but I am truly hoping that he will be back in this week because we missed him big time last week inparticular.

Geelong after a slow and injury hit start to the year are just getting all of their most important players back and into form just in time for this game, unfortunately for us, we have typically been beaten up by Geelong over the years and this will be a big test for our new look midfield and defensive outfits. The inclusion of Dunkley into our midfield was exactly what we were after and I really hope that he is fit and good to go. Which I think it looks like he will be.

I am hoping with the rise of Jack Payne we will now finally have someone who can match up on Hawkins which is an area we have struggled in previously, Harris has continually been belted by him and with Adams out of the team this year Payne will have the job to keep him quiet. Leaving Lester to run with Cameron and Harris to float around from Ollie Henry to a resting ruckman. Starce to take Gary Rohan leaving Stengle, Close and Miers to our other defenders. Their forward line will be a handful.

Daniher has been in pretty good form mostly and will need to be this week and if we are any chance of stopping Stewart marking everthing, Daniher, Hipwood and Gunston will need to compete in every arial contests to stop his influence.

Or, alternatively we put someone, like Rayner on him to play as a defensive forward so he doesn’t just rome free.

Rayner played in the defensive half for a reason earlier in the year and maybe this was the reason? Just a thought.

LIKELY TEAM CHANGES from the last time we played each other:

In the prelim last year which Geelong won 18-12-120 to 7-7-49

GEELONG:
Outs: Selwood, C. Guthrie, J. Bews

Ins: Bowes, Bruhn, O. Henry

LIONS: Outs: Gardiner, Rich, Answerth, AhChee, McStay, Matho

Ins: Lester, McKenna, Dunkley, Fletcher, Ashcroft, Gunston.

Best 22 for this game imo:

B: Starcevich, Payne, Harris

HB: McKenna, Lester, Coleman

C: Berry, McCluggage, Fletcher

HF: Rayner, Hipwood, Bailey

F: Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy

Followers: Oscar, Neale, Dunkley

Int: Ashcroft, Wilmot, Zorko, Gunston

Sub: Robertson or AhChee

As with most games it will come down to contested ball and clearance.

If we can get the ball moving into our forward line quickly they we will be hard to stop and that is why we must compete strongly and atleast match them in the middle of the ground to stand any chance In this game. And try and create some more forward half turnovers off midfield and forward pressure.

ODDS: Lions $1.48 Cats $2.66 WTF!

PREDICTIONS:
Think they have got that completely wrong the game will be much closer than those odds suggest. Yes, the game is at the Gabba but if we are to lose a game at the Gabba this year, it will likely be this one.

I am hoping we can really bounce back after a loss that shouldn’t have happened with some smarter play, maybe our best hope is that Geelong still haven’t quite hit their straps. Hopefully we will take the game on and not resort to the down the line tactics especially when under a bit of pressure late in the game.

LIONS BY 7 points.

Go the LIONS!!!!!

I like your team Dalions except I would omit Gunston and have either one of Ah Chee/Robertson in the side.
I would too but I know it’s not gonna happen.
I would have picked the same team as the Richmond game just with Zorko in for Dev but I just know that Gunston will be named.

I would too but I know it’s not gonna happen.
I would have picked the same team as the Richmond game just with Zorko in for Dev but I just know that Gunston will be named.
Great preview mate.

I think we'll win. The boys will take some time to analyse what went right and wrong last week and realise they're good enough but if they don't keep at it for the whole game they're vulnerable.

As for who should be out whatever don't start me but I'd love to see Cal back in the side particularly for this game. I said exactly the same thing last week. What we lack are a couple of junkyard dogs who sacrifice their game for the greater good.

How ripped is beastmode these days.
361634109_659895726186245_4771500210386245949_n.jpg

I havent had much of a chance to read through the review thread after Fridaynights loss to Melbourne.
Fair enough...
But, I am assuming the doomsayers are out in force, Sack Fagan, sack the whole coaching staff, we need Damien Hardwick or Chris Scott to take over from Fages at the end of the year, Gunston is cooked, Zorks is half baked, Oscar is not good enough, Top 2 chances are gone, Premiership chances are gone. Lester is a God, And all that!
...hey wait a second, you said you hadn't read it all!

If the board have some balls this should be a stuart dew type deciding game for fages.

I'm currently listening to this weeks Roar Deal and I think Dom Fay must read Big Footy... his changes for this weekend are Lyons and Gunston omitted for Dunkley and Ah Chee. He also commented that Lester was caught out for pace a couple of times against the Demons and was throwing up the possibility of him going out for Gardiner before the finals.

I'm currently listening to this weeks Roar Deal and I think Dom Fay must read Big Footy... his changes for this weekend are Lyons and Gunston omitted for Dunkley and Ah Chee. He also commented that Lester was caught out for pace a couple of times against the Demons and was throwing up the possibility of him going out for Gardiner before the finals.
Did Gardiner play the last VFL game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see Gunston getting dropped anytime soon. Whilst I think Ah Chee would be a better inclusion overall in terms of team cohesion and balance, Gunston's hitting the scoreboard and providing a target which is better then what he was producing before his training block.

I would be fine with Gunston going if it freed up Rayner to play a more damaging role. It seems that for every game that Rayner plays like the one against Collingwood there are three or four games like the Melbourne one where he's a non-factor in the contest. We all know he's a surgeon with the footy, but I suppose it's just about him finding it more often and making the most of his touches.

I fear we will see the return of Rich for this game and we will look the slowest we have in weeks. I really, really hope I'm wrong and Fagan has a post-Hawthorn type response.

How ripped is beastmode these days.
361634109_659895726186245_4771500210386245949_n.jpg

Human wrecking ball.

Can't run very far or fast, but beware any who entry his sphere of influence.

He is the crocodile in the river or the lion in the grass. Often not near you so you get lulled into feeling like you can do whatever you want, but then ... in single moment ... everything changes.

Matho's there, he ambushes you and you are done.

Physically wrecked and forever nervous, looking around constantly and hesitating for a split second. Which makes you prey for the other predator lions on the field.

If we are going to have one slow midfielder, let it be Predator Matho. Once he has had a game or two in the reserves. Obviously..

I fear we will see the return of Rich for this game and we will look the slowest we have in weeks. I really, really hope I'm wrong and Fagan has a post-Hawthorn type response.
I would be surprised but wouldn’t be surprised 😮 if you know what I mean!
He didn’t play last week so has had an extended run of a mini preseason.
I do think he will come back before finals to give him a run and see how he fits in.
Hard to see where he fits in though.
Does he come in at the expense of Coleman or does Wilmot go back to the wing and Fletcher goes out of the team?

I can't see Gunston getting dropped anytime soon. Whilst I think Ah Chee would be a better inclusion overall in terms of team cohesion and balance, Gunston's hitting the scoreboard and providing a target which is better then what he was producing before his training block.

I would be fine with Gunston going if it freed up Rayner to play a more damaging role. It seems that for every game that Rayner plays like the one against Collingwood there are three or four games like the Melbourne one where he's a non-factor in the contest. We all know he's a surgeon with the footy, but I suppose it's just about him finding it more often and making the most of his touches.

Rayner trying to cover for gunston?? Can't commit to his own game?

Safe to say the coaches and selection committee will be taking the piss if they think Daniel Rich is the solution to any of our problems.

I'm beyond frustrated with how this team operates. We've actually had a stellar list build and are challenging for a premiership. The issues are now mental and tactical. Can we win a Premiership this year? Yes we can! Will we win the Premiership this year? I don't think we will.

I'm beyond frustrated with how this team operates. We've actually had a stellar list build and are challenging for a premiership. The issues are now mental and tactical. Can we win a Premiership this year? Yes we can! Will we win the Premiership this year? I don't think we will.
It won't happen, but you'd hope we'd in the ear of Pendles to bring him up here in some coaching capacity.
If he coaches, it will be for the Pies, but one would think he's got multiple offers on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back