Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Grand final day was a significan placeholder in 'Big Al's' career at hawthorn.

Another poster looking back at forum discussion of this time made me look back further.

Even the fractured days leading to Clarksons announcement as coach on sept 8 2004 were pretty remarkable too. Hawks posters made opponents posters look positively benign we were savaging our club that badly, even ferociously.

This is a post from 'Mick' on hawkheadquarters, where many of us lived in that period sept 8 2004

icon1.gif

\"I'm going to bring a disciplined, attacking brand of football\"
\"Improve Culture\"
\"Invest heavily in youth.\"
\"We are going to have a very young list\"
\"This is the start of some massive changes that are taking place, on and off the field.\"
\"There is no point in naming how many wins we expect to achieve next year, what is important is that the players show discipline, commitment and passion for the club.\"

All of it was music to my ears.

Not all the quotes are from Clarkson,-Dunstall ws excellent, Dicker looked tired and drawn and only made two \"nothing\" comments.

Last edited:
Some background

By Stephen Rielly, Stathi Paxinos
The Hawthorn board will meet this morning to choose the club's next senior coach but will first have to bridge a gulf that exists between those who want to appoint an experienced coach and those who believe a completely new start is required.
After meeting for a second time Port Adelaide assistant coach Alastair Clarkson on Monday night, the subcommittee that has conducted the search for Peter Schwab's successor settled on a recommendation yesterday that will be put to the full board at 7.30am.
An official announcement could be made as early as tomorrow morning.
While the short-list of candidates extends to three, club sources were saying yesterday that the debate this morning will essentially be about whether the experienced Gary Ayres or inexperienced Clarkson should be appointed.
The chances of Donald McDonald, the third candidate and Schwab's interim replacement, rest with the remote prospect of an impasse and the need for compromise.
Nine of Hawthorn's 10-man board will gather this morning - the 10th, Bruce Growcott, is overseas - and it is believed that at least four favour the experience of Ayres and at least three the option of a fresh start.
One official said yesterday that it would not be possible to make a decision until this critical argument was settled.
\"You have on the one hand the view that we need a departure from the past, new and fresh ideas and that we should be grooming the next great coach,\" the official said.
\"On the other, you have the view that a new coach to be learning on the job in the current climate, with rebuilding years ahead and uncertainty in the air, could only end in disaster.\"
Hawthorn president Ian Dicker, a member of the coaching subcommittee, met with the club's interim chief executive and fellow subcommittee member Jason Dunstall yesterday morning before devoting much of his day to the task of interviewing the short-list of four candidates for the chief executive position.
Current Collingwood and former Hawthorn chief financial officer Terry Dillon and former Melbourne chief executive John Anderson are believed to be among the four.
Dicker did so only 12 hours after Clarkson flew to Melbourne on Monday night for a meeting at Glenferrie Oval that was held that evening rather than yesterday, as first planned.
Former Hawthorn player and premiership coach David Parkin, who worked for several years alongside Schwab at Dicker's invitation, yesterday joined the calls for change at Glenferrie.
Parkin said on Talking Footy that change was \"categorically\" required. This was despite Parkin rejecting Don Scott's view that a coach did not need to be appointed until after Scott's board challenge was over.
\"I'm supporting that it is time for the club to make some changes. I think the (on-field) results . . . is a direct result of what's not happening off-field and I think the board of directors have an absolute obligation to look at themselves and say what we have done hasn't been good enough,\" Parkin said.
\"I support Don in the sense that he is the one that had the courage to actually say change is needed and to put himself on the block in doing so and I don't think he is enjoying it. I know him well enough to know this emotionally hasn't been a great time for him so I would support the fact of change and I would support Don in that regard.\"
Scott said his rebel group yesterday lodged a notice for the resignation of the Hawthorn board but did not submit the petition of 100 signatures required to force the board spill. He said his faction had two weeks in which to file the petition with the club and said he had not revealed either the identities of those on his ticket or submitted the 100 names because \"outing\" them could expose them to criticism.
\"There are over 100 people who have taken us on faith value, and I am not going to subject people to the criticism that I have been subjected to (and) even Ian Dicker has been subjected to,\" Scott said.
\"It is not warranted and I am not in a pos

icon1.gif
Quartermain not a happy chappy with Clarkson's appointment
\"If you don't have anything good to say about somebody, it's best not to say anything at all\"

'Timmay'. Sept 8 2004 HHQ

Last edited:
October 2004, HHQ, 'Wayne' on the news Nathan Thompson to be traded to north for picks 10 and 24

win-win deal as far as I'm concerned - with the proviso that we hold on to pick 10.
Please God: do not allow Essendon to seize pick 10 for a discard like Bolton or Henneman.
Three picks in the top 10 is fantastic.
We now have a bit of money in the salary cap to spare, not to mention pick 2 in the pre-season draft, which could be the first live pick if Richmond snares Simmonds. Perhaps we could throw a few $$$ around & attract a good quality out of contract player, so no need to sacrifice a 2nd round pick for someone we could pick up for free.

19 nov 2004, national draft
--------------------
CMB:
Roughead pick 2. :headbang:
Franklin pick 5.
They f*cked it up already.
--------------------
Drew:
Hmmm....Roughead and [pause] Franklin.....
WTF? None of the top 3 standouts????
--------------------
Arnie:
WHAT?????? Richmond got Deledio and Tambling, * NO!!!!!!!
---------------------
SCoPe:
just you think we couldnt * this year up any more .. we go and do that .. sack bucky now ...get dermie off the board .. he obviously had a huge say in roughead going 2nd .. we just missed out on a midfielder of judd class for another tall. im so stunned at the moment
---------------------

Four pages in, a positive comment. From hawk Talker

You bunch of whinging negative boned sods!
WE GOT TWO TALENTED KEY POSITION PLAYERS. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC SELECTIONS!!!!
This is exactly what St Kilda did with Reiwoldt and Kozsitzke a few years ago and look at them, they are guns.
Bucky went for what we needed, KPP, not what everyone else thought was the best. Well done Bucky.
-----------------------

Wild Bill sensed there was some poker playing happening, just misunderstood that it was hawthorn doing the bluffing
icon1.gif
Re:
[quote:d08a53b3b2=\"Realist\"]I reckon we were bluffed by the other clubs. Hawthorn were worried they were gonna miss out on Franklin & Roughead, with picks 3 & 4. But the Dogs picked Griffen anyway. You could tell by the quiver in Bucky's voice and the delay when calling out Franklin's name that he had been shafted. To clever for our own good![/quote:d08a53b3b2]

That's clearly what happened. They called our bluff.

We obviously assumed Richmond or Bulldogs would panic about not getting a tall and pluck Franklin, leaving us with one of Tambling or Griffen.

We played games, they picked the best available. They came out on top.

Anyway, i've calmed down enough now.

Hopefully Roughhead and Franklin can develop into the future CHF and CHB we need. But our midfield remains slow and woeful.
-----------------------

When everyones cooled off, the BlueTyrant

I wouldn't be too sad. Tambling is a bit of loss, but as some of you have said, Holland and Barker can now see the horizon......
The pace issue might still be there, but pace is meaningless in a team that can't win it. Also, you can't jump the queue in 1 draft. Next year, when your team competes hard but can't quite close games, you pick quick little buggers in the draft, and you've got it made in the shade.
At least you can be happy you didn't take any \"projects\" in a draft full of smokeys and plain stupidity.
From an outsider's POV, I'll raise a few issues as-yet-unraised.
Tom Murphy... how short is he? 189cm KPP? Gee, that's a little on the short side. Hope he can mix it up a bit in other positions, or cover his lack of height with skill. Maybe he can. Bret Thornton is 189-191cm, and he goes ok.
Matt Little... where will he play? back pocket? take over from Ben Dixon as a leading pocket? You wouldn't think he could play FF at senior level. But, he could sneak under a few guards as a 3rd or 4th marking option.
Franklin.... I don't think he will play Ruck in the future. Doesn't have the bottle for it. He could/will be an awesome leading Tarrant-esque forward if you can put some meat onto dem bones. The key to getting him to stay? High maintenance women. Find some attractive little Hawthorn supporter, hitch buddy to her wagon, and have her refuse to live in Perth. He'll stay then..... for the nasty! Looks the type who could be easily lead by his.....er.... \"emotions\".
Jordan Lewis...... a drafting for the Essendon rematch?
Roughead...... Could be anything.... could be nothing. A bit like Croady with Whitnall's brain.
Interesting times.
Whoever wrote on here \"why do we need Tambling when we have Harry Miller?\" will be happy..... I tell ya, there are some strange old characters on this site....

Last edited:
Franklin.... I don't think he will play Ruck in the future. Doesn't have the bottle for it. He could/will be an awesome leading Tarrant-esque forward if you can put some meat onto dem bones. The key to getting him to stay? High maintenance women. Find some attractive little Hawthorn supporter, hitch buddy to her wagon, and have her refuse to live in Perth. He'll stay then..... for the nasty! Looks the type who could be easily lead by his.....er.... \"emotions\".

The irony kills me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said. It was just the vibe. At the time most things hawthorn were so disappointing that we turned on everything and anything.
One example was the saga between brereton and mark harvey, who left calls for the other etc. Normal tribalism where posters would immediately defend brereton to the hilt were suspended, and we even jumped to the defence of a bomber mongrel.

Things were starting to go right, bit we didnt really recognise them at the time. What started to come through was we were using a mix of geelong and st kilda as the model to work on.

In that these days we relate to people we might never see, seeing the same thing from ten years ago is not much different, it does give a sense of time travel, although limited to a backwards direction obviously

Rflections show that while there was a lot of negativiry re the 2004 draft, a lot of it cam from the same group of people posting over and over

Pharoah, replying to fishman on draft day HHQ:

[quote:4d34beec41=\"kerrimuirfishshop.com\"]Three years time Richmond, after spending the lions' share of that time near the bottom, they will sack Wallace, will be whinging why did we not draft Roughead or a KPP, all we got was a dud in Tambling, and an old man in Graham. Rebuilding?[/quote:4d34beec41]
Fishman, you are about to go on my Ignore list. You talk self-deluded twaddle.

Hawk frenzy on clarkos first win, HHQ 16 April 2005. Put into context clarkos 28th win deliverd the first final victory and the 48th deliverd the first flag
"Ok guys, one down, fourty seven to go !"

Just got home from work! Great Win! (Understatemant of the year) Sensational Team effort! One of my most satisfying days at the footy. I have never been prouder of 22 guys wearing the brown and gold. And the noise of 20,000 Hawk supporters was unbelieveable! Hard to single out players but Mitchell and Everitt were outstanding and showed at present are probably are most important and irreplaceable players. And I would also like to single out Tim Clarke for a great game. You well and truly stuck it up that tosser who rang in on Whiteline Fever and told AC \"How is Tim Clarke on an AFL list let alone in the HFC leadership group\" Also I was critical of AC in Round 1, but superb coaching effort today and for the last 3 weeks actually. And who gets dropped when Smith comes back?

Great thread. You can see why people would have been skeptical of any decisions made by the club hierarchy in those days. We've come a long way since Clarko got appointed, sort of rebuilt the entire club and Clarko along with Dunstall have really been the driving forces. Keep it coming Pess, I am enjoying this a lot.

wow .. i was scope in the draft post .. im very happy to admit I was wrong and know nothing about the drafting of kids lol ...

we nailed first 3 picks in 04 ... we lost our way for a couple of years later which coincided with pelican joining.

Lukehodge15 from the brisbane win. Didnt take us long to embrace our 2004 draftees

icon1.gif

stating the obvious here but.................
jordan lewis will be and is a gun
every game i watch , i just keep getting more and more impressed.........think we have a very good keeper here.

and 4 everybody on these boards that throttled me 4 saying luke hodge should be captain this year. he shoulda been and thats all there is 2 this arguement, he is ready and i just hope its sooner rather than l8r.

watching lewis and hodge changing off the half back flank on saturday was a joy 2 watch. first quarter , brisbane hit back and kick 3 goals in 5 minutes towards the end of quarter. hodge sprinted from half back , tapped lewis on shoulder and assumed the responsibilty in the middle. he wanted 2 be there !!!!!! wanted 2 stem the momentum, constant talking 2 his teammates , encouraging lifting HIS team.

10 may 2005 HHQ and my first foray into the jeff for HFC president debate. I might as well have saved my typing fingers

icon1.gif
Re:
[quote:27ca65a210=\"Kinkster\"]Agreed. Kennet would make a good President. Just the man to do the hard things that need to be done, and excellent connections to Victorian business.

Interesting to see who would be the harder nut - the Coach or the President?[/quote:27ca65a210]

Connections so good none of them would give him a real job. Ever wonder why ?

And his radio career - where he didn't have an army of MPs and public servants dong the work - was not an outstanding success.

In fact the career as premier was only good in the light of the previous government - not in comparison to other state regimes.

And by the way I wouldn't want Bracks as president either - were he a hawk - politicians too divisive and JFK especially.

Glad to see Piggy is the kingmaker though

What next ? Sell the team to Qld and 'steal' the Crows from adelaide ?

Beepster 22 may 2005 an away win against Freo

DOMINANT ... You can use that word to describe today's totally fantastic victory and you can attach it to any of 6-8 of our players. They ALL played well but a handful were standouts.
We came into this game as RANK outsiders and during the course of it we have heard commentary like standout side, could easily charge the eight, hardest team playing this year etc.
Ben Dixon in his 150th had a great game. Leads, marks, goals. Couldn't fault him at all. Poor Willo didn't get many kicks at all....but how many goals did he kick? Good lord. Greene in for Ries has been a great inclusion although judging by the rest of the team's delivery and disposal my sainted grandmother who's 5 years in the grave could get the ball against the Shockers.
I could go on about Brennan, Changa, DJ, Smithy, Laddo or Vanders but I wont. What I will say is what ruckman who's been beaten in taps dominates in general play to the tune that he has the stats of an onballer. Everitt has been supreme both in this game and the year.
Tim Clarke. Leader. He's played his guts out consistently all year and he's again one of our dominant best.
Willo. As I said he was held to only a few kicks but the man is sensational and but for better kicking could have had 10.
Hodge? 3 votes easily.
Mitchell? 3 votes easily.
Crawf? 3 votes easily. See what I mean?
DOMINANT.
The final score of 18. 16 to 10. 10 - a victory of 54 points - is an indictment. The boys tackled fiercely to the end even when the game was in the bag, and their march to the goals to cheer and slap hands with our supporters that got there was a great touch.
There was not one single Freo player that amassed more than 20 disposals.
The Hawks had 8!
Wallow boys n girls. Wallow. I love this game
smile.gif

Paul.
ps: Oh yeah, I'll be doing the Footy Tips scores when I stop laughing. This may take a while.
GO HAWKS!

19 nov 2004, national draft
--------------------

When everyones cooled off, the BlueTyrant

I wouldn't be too sad. Tambling is a bit of loss, but as some of you have said, Holland and Barker can now see the horizon......
The pace issue might still be there, but pace is meaningless in a team that can't win it. Also, you can't jump the queue in 1 draft. Next year, when your team competes hard but can't quite close games, you pick quick little buggers in the draft, and you've got it made in the shade.
At least you can be happy you didn't take any \"projects\" in a draft full of smokeys and plain stupidity.
From an outsider's POV, I'll raise a few issues as-yet-unraised.
Tom Murphy... how short is he? 189cm KPP? Gee, that's a little on the short side. Hope he can mix it up a bit in other positions, or cover his lack of height with skill. Maybe he can. Bret Thornton is 189-191cm, and he goes ok.
Matt Little... where will he play? back pocket? take over from Ben Dixon as a leading pocket? You wouldn't think he could play FF at senior level. But, he could sneak under a few guards as a 3rd or 4th marking option.
Jordan Lewis...... a drafting for the Essendon rematch?
Roughead...... Could be anything.... could be nothing. A bit like Croady with Whitnall's brain.
Interesting times.
Whoever wrote on here \"why do we need Tambling when we have Harry Miller?\" will be happy..... I tell ya, there are some strange old characters on this site....

Prophetic words really. And in the end wasn't much between tambling and miller in what they achieved anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back