Injury HFC Injury watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a stupid question:
These days you can get a fitted mouthguard made from some super special plastic stuff that you barely notice you're wearing.

As a Brit who has never played AFL, why do players remove their mouthguards when taking a set shot?

I always assumed it was uncomfortable to wear and/or it was to help breathing after busting a gut to take the mark.
Or if they are more comfortable to wear these days, is it just ritual?

As a Brit who has never played AFL, why do players remove their mouthguards when taking a set shot?

I always assumed it was uncomfortable to wear and/or it was to help breathing after busting a gut to take the mark.
I think it's possibly a combination of all, depending on the person and the mouthguard. Some players still look to wear guards that are the thicker, rubber variety. Those are less comfortable and more restrictive of airflow. Some would also be just ritual, like pulling up your socks that many players also do. Maybe they got into the habit when they were kids with poor fitting mouthguards and keep doing it now even though they've got better fitting ones?

Dunno. I used to leave mine in on the very rare occasion I had a set shot.

My guess is because it's not part of their goal kicking routine ie they don't wear one when they practice goal kicking

It's usually nice to take a deep breath and settle yourself before executing a set shot. Far easier to do without a mouthguard.

It's usually nice to take a deep breath and settle yourself before executing a set shot. Far easier to do without a mouthguard.
I would think it is about trying to get the heart rate down as quickly as possible with deep breathing

I was watching this a couple of weeks ago and didn't actually spot it happening. Wondering whether it's got something to do with the short socks and not being able to tuck it in there! But maybe I just missed it happening.

Would it help much? I’ve never worn a mouthguard, and there is probably some benefit in not getting your tongue caught between two sets of sharp incisors, but jammed between mouthguard and bottom teeth like that still seems unpleasant …
I'm confused. Are you asking whether there's a benefit to wearing a mouth guard?

No I’m asking if wearing a mouth guard will stop you from biting off your tongue. It seems to have come up as a point of discussion after the Wingard incident .
I would think the 'rounded' contours, and relative softness, of the mouthguard compared to enamel-hard incisors would help, at least in the aspect of actually cutting through the tongue

No I’m asking if wearing a mouth guard will stop you from biting off your tongue. It seems to have come up as a point of discussion after the Wingard incident .

Interestingly, the association is advocating for a "No mouth guard, No play" for all sporting organisations. Obviously AFL have yet to sign up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mouthguards prevent your teeth working like scissors. Scissors are efficient at cutting because there are two sharp points convening at one positon. If you only have one scissor blade and have to press it against a flat/soft surface the amount of force required to make a cut is significantly increased. Most likely would result in surface abrasions and bruising but no laceration.

In any case the significance of the injury would in almost every single occasion be markedly reduced by wearing a mouthguard.

Meanwhile in some exciting news, key forward Mitch Lewis is expected to be available next week for the Round 7 clash against the Western Bulldogs in what would be his first game of 2023.

Jeka and Scrim gotta get through training this week.

Hirstwaite and Stephens are completing concussion protocols.

Meanwhile in some exciting news, key forward Mitch Lewis is expected to be available next week for the Round 7 clash against the Western Bulldogs in what would be his first game of 2023.

Jeka and Scrim gotta get through training this week.

Hirstwaite and Stephens are completing concussion protocols.

Awesome. Sounds like Chad will play AFL this week as well.

Mouthguards prevent your teeth working like scissors. Scissors are efficient at cutting because there are two sharp points convening at one positon. If you only have one scissor blade and have to press it against a flat/soft surface the amount of force required to make a cut is significantly increased. Most likely would result in surface abrasions and bruising but no laceration.

In any case the significance of the injury would in almost every single occasion be markedly reduced by wearing a mouthguard.
Cheers. I had no idea how scissors worked.

Cheers. I had no idea how scissors worked.
fuck my life fml GIF

"He is pushing hard to be available this week" - the morning after the senior squad has been announced

Would suggest Lewis will have a hit-out at BHH first before stepping up to AFL level the week afterwards.
naah mate it's more they do not want him to play till next week.

I kind of feel that ML's reputation has grown even further whilst injured! Particularly because of our absence of any other key forwards.

Hoping that he will burst out of the blocks, but going to keep a measured expectation! I think regardless, he will be creating contests and crashing packs - so desperately needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back