Levi Greenwood [Wants to go to Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I'd be surprised if North are near the cap. Their best players are 30+ year old veterans.
Harvey, Petrie, Wells. How old is Swallow?
Barrett who is a North fan said yesterday they would be close to the cap with Waite and Higgins coming on board.

No doubting your info mate, you know your club better then me im sure but the noise around is that you dont have plenty of coin and salary cap is an issue. You saying that's rubbish ?

To be fair was reported we were pushing the cap last year with the dusty situation and it wasn't true.

Feeling a bit sick right now that freo, Sydney, cats and hawks have all offered a big deal for Frawley and Port a big one for Ryder. That's your top 5 clubs.

No doubting your info mate, you know your club better then me im sure but the noise around is that you dont have plenty of coin and salary cap is an issue. You saying that's rubbish ?

To be fair was reported we were pushing the cap last year with the dusty situation and it wasn't true.

Feeling a bit sick right now that freo, Sydney, cats and hawks have all offered a big deal for Frawley and Port a big one for Ryder. That's your top 5 clubs.

It's well known that Hawthorn, Sydney (with the exception of Buddy and Tippett) and Geelong don't pay overs to any of their players (mainly their highest paid). That's the number 1 reason why they always got room to move. In fact most of the highest paid players from those clubs would be getting well under market value. Many accept small pay cuts knowing that alot of their team mates have also done the same for the good of the club, so there is not an ounce of bad blood at all. It's just the way the top clubs work.

Hawthorn long ago internally explained what it was trying to achieve with the salary cap, and all their players bought into the philosophy. It's literally all for one and one for all. s**t like this over time becomes the culture of a club. Can you imagine what a brotherhood their dressing room would be like? The mentality is: "Wow this bloke took an even bigger cut for us, what a champ!" Then some of the younger blokes think "Gee, I wanna take a little paycut too, do my bit so we can have an even bigger better list". Now look what they've achieved with that mentality. They will probably make it 3 in a row next year.... AND get Frawley.

Down at Punt rd, I can almost guarantee you our Cotchins Lids and Jacks are on more than the Selwoods, Hodges or JPK. It's not in our culture for these guys to get paid anywhere near less than what they think they are worth, so it won't happen. Which means there is 0 chance of anyone below them signing a moderate contract or taking a small cut either as every player is looking at what's happening at the top. It's a culture of most players wanting a bigger piece of the pie than they are really entitled too VS a club like Hawthorn where it's actually the complete opposite.

To break it down even further, here (and at most other clubs) players feel good about scoring a deal with more money than they are probably worth. At a club like Hawthorn, players feel good about taking less money knowing that it's allowing the constant breeding of a list that will have success. This is why they can build a list that is lightyears ahead of us and still have cap space to get anyone they want right after 2 premierships in a row.

Last edited:
It's well known that Hawthorn, Sydney (with the exception of Buddy and Tippett) and Geelong don't pay overs to any of their players (mainly their highest paid). That's the number 1 reason why they always got room to move. In fact most of the highest paid players from those clubs would be getting well under market value. Many accept small pay cuts knowing that alot of their team mates have also done the same for the good of the club, so there is not an ounce of bad blood at all. It's just the way the top clubs work.

Hawthorn long ago internally explained what it was trying to achieve with the salary cap, and all their players bought into the philosophy. It's literally all for one and one for all. s**t like this over time becomes the culture of a club. Can you imagine what a brotherhood their dressing room would be like? The mentality is: "Wow this bloke took an even bigger cut for us, what a champ!" Then some of the younger blokes think "Gee, I wanna take a little paycut too, do my bit so we can have an even bigger better list". Now look what they've achieved with that mentality. They will probably make it 3 in a row next year.... AND get Frawley.

Down at Punt rd, I can almost guarantee you our Cotchins Lids and Jacks are on more than the Selwoods, Hodges or JPK. It's not in our culture for these guys to get paid anywhere near less than what they think they are worth, so it won't happen. Which means there is 0 chance of anyone below them signing a moderate contract or taking a small cut either as every player is looking at what's happening at the top. It's a culture of most players wanting a bigger piece of the pie than they are really entitled too VS a club like Hawthorn where it's actually the complete opposite.

To break it down even further, here (and at most other clubs) players feel good about scoring a deal with more money than they are probably worth. At a club like Hawthorn, players feel good about taking less money knowing that it's breeding constant success. This is why they can build a list that is lightyears ahead of us and still have cap space to get anyone they want right after 2 premierships in a row.

Quality post.
However, I think the culture at Richmond has changed over the last few years.
The club has stated numerous times that we wouldn't be paying our players overs, hence the contract saga with Dusty last year.
Dusty wanted X, and we wouldn't budge with our offer of Y.
In the end, Dusty wanted approx. $600,000 and settled for around $480,000.

Yeah I am. Swallow is reportedly our highest earner on ~550/600
Jacobs, dal santo and cunnington have front loaded contracts (a lot of others do too just so they could make up the minimal salary cap restriction. Those in the know have said dal santo's front loaded contract just got us to the minimum. I assume the higher ups are preparing to wipe the debt then spend the remainder of the wage limit (helped by the afl increasing the cap)

Quality post.
However, I think the culture at Richmond has changed over the last few years.
The club has stated numerous times that we wouldn't be paying our players overs, hence the contract saga with Dusty last year.
Dusty wanted X, and we wouldn't budge with our offer of Y.
In the end, Dusty wanted approx. $600,000 and settled for around $480,000.

Correct. Except you're talking about the culture of the board, i'm talking about the culture of playing groups.

Benny & co have made a real effort to change the culture at the top, but it takes years for it to filter down to the playing group. We are in that phase right now (I hope).

well we don't need frawley or ryder, simple

Love (and laugh at) the way every teams supporters claim to know how close their side is to their salary cap, and some spruiking front loading and actually knowing what players actually are getting paid. What a joke!!! Unless they are involved with list Managers or CEO's, it is HIGHLY unlikely they would know much, if anything at all.

Sure, some may know a player or two, and may know what they earn, but the club being near or heaps under their cap, what cr@p. Played out with us last year as previous poster stated with the Dusty affair, when we were told by some claiming to be "in the know" that we were maxing out our cap. Utter rubbish.

Dan Richardson appears, from the outside, to be addressing our remuneration situation and have no doubt players will be asked to buy into the dream and stay for less. Next year will tell all from my point of view, given we have a number of our better players coming out of contract.

Last edited:

To break it down even further, here (and at most other clubs) players feel good about scoring a deal with more money than they are probably worth. At a club like Hawthorn, players feel good about taking less money knowing that it's allowing the constant breeding of a list that will have success. This is why they can build a list that is lightyears ahead of us and still have cap space to get anyone they want right after 2 premierships in a row.

I agree but its bad for equalisation. Geelong is also helped by cheaper living costs in Torquay. I'm also pretty sure these guys get around the cap.

As Dimma said top 4 clubs should not be allowed to sign FA unless they lose one.

well we don't need frawley or ryder, simple

I know we don't need them. Couldn't pick two player types we were less interested in, but its more that these top clubs can throw huge wads of cash at these guys. Why would Ryder go to Lions when he go to Port and know he is a shot at a premiership, its a slippery slope towards EPL where any decent player signs for city, chelsea or man u for a shot at a title.

Actually this is incorrect. This was specifically the reason why Richo was brought for the GM position, as he has a unique understanding of what the top tier get paid at those clubs. From what I hear, our top tier( about 3) are only paid in the mid to high 600's max, with the rest staggered below. You cant tell me Hodge isn't getting that. It was sold to the players about the way our tpp will be shaped and that they all had to be on board for the ultimate success. I would add it was this way but hasn't for a while.

Correct. Except you're talking about the culture of the board, i'm talking about the culture of playing groups.

Benny & co have made a real effort to change the culture at the top, but it takes years for it to filter down to the playing group. We are in that phase right now (I hope).

All a clubs problems start from the top.

See Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we don't need them. Couldn't pick two player types we were less interested in, but its more that these top clubs can throw huge wads of cash at these guys. Why would Ryder go to Lions when he go to Port and know he is a shot at a premiership, its a slippery slope towards EPL where any decent player signs for city, chelsea or man u for a shot at a title.

There is a thing called the salary cap which prevents this. In my opinion free agency doesn't work well in the AFL, the way it currently is. However free agency was brought in to help players, not as an equalisation measure. It certainly appears to be working that way.... Expect the AFL to try and tinker with it in the next year or 2. Then watch the AFLPA try not to let go of any part of it and actually make FA come in earlier. The players don't care about equalisation.... although they should.

Love (and laugh at) the way every teams supporters claim to know how close their side is to their salary cap, and some spruiking front loading and actually knowing what players actually are getting paid. What a joke!!! Unless they are involved with list Managers or CEO's, it is HIGHLY unlikely they would know much, if anything at all.

Sure, some may know a player or two, and may know what they earn, but the club being near or heaps under their cap, what cr@p. Played out with us last year as previous poster stated with the Dusty affair, when we were told by some claiming to be "in the know" that we were maxing out our cap. Utter rubbish.

Dan Richardson appears, from the outside, to be addressing our remuneration situation and have no doubt players will be asked to buy into the dream and stay for less. Next year will tell all from my point of view, given we have a number of our better players coming out of contract.

So you mean to tell me Bigfooty is NOT the hive of list managers and draft exerts I thought it was?! :eek:/:D

Beat me to it

As soon as you hear someone write front loading, you know they're talking s**t.

Waite will come very, very cheap as an unrestricted FA (we are talking a bit over minimum wage), Higgins will cost anywhere from 300-400k as the Bulldogs cant/wont match our length of contract

Waite will come very, very cheap as an unrestricted FA (we are talking a bit over minimum wage), Higgins will cost anywhere from 300-400k as the Bulldogs cant/wont match our length of contract

So Waite is leaving Carlton, where, as a best 22 player, he'd have been on decent coin and North tempted him away with an offer of minimum wage?

Do you really think that?

Waite will come very, very cheap as an unrestricted FA (we are talking a bit over minimum wage)
So he'll leave the club he has loved all his life, the club where his father played and won premierships, for the minimum wage?

You must be on some good sh*t mate!

He will be a pension at Norf with Harvey and Petrie...its sad that they are your best players.

I would be happy with him on our list, but isn't there an older inside mid available as a free agent or cheap? Can't keep trading away our good draft picks for 25yos in consecutive years, it'll hurt us eventually.

Teams above us are getting these types in for free and they're also getting a steady stream of rated kids coming in. Only in 5 years will this difference in philosophy become apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back