Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats not unpopular.
Saying hes better than Jordan, now that would be unpopular. IMO Jordan still better.

Yep - I was pretty much gonna say that.

Clearly is top 5 already... and unless something disastrous happens (or we find out he's on PEDs) will end up clearly top 2. Personally I would never put him above Jordan, just because of the whole switching teams thing - but there will be a lot of discussion when his career ends.
---

(I have been shot down for unpopular Spurs opinions before - so I say this with some hesitation - but I was watching a Timmy video this morning and was thinking about where I rate him over his career):

My (biased) opinion: I think Timmy is the 3rd best big man to ever play the game: and isn't far behind Russell and Abdul-Jabbar when you take into account the different eras they played in - and I would rate his career clearly ahead of any other big. And I think he is in the mix with those two, Bird, Magic and Kobe to be considered a top 5 all-time player. (behind Jordan and, at the end of his career, LBJ)

explain the massive difference. Both of them are very good at both I would have thought.
One of them is one of the greatest defenders of all time and the other stopped being useful outside of iso defense about a decade ago.

One of them is one of the greatest defenders of all time and the other stopped being useful outside of iso defense about a decade ago.

I have no issue with saying Garnett is a better defensive player, but Kobe is still a 9 time all defensive 1st team member (a record he shares with Garnett). You could argue that he may have got there a few times on reputation, but 9 times? Your use of the word "massive" is way off.

Can't say I've EVER heard that call being made about Garnett.
Great player yes - very good defender yes - but no way would he go down as one of the greatest of all time.
---

And as for leadership - I would love to know which of his teamates rate him as a great leader - making a lot of noise and trying to intimidate the opposition, the refs, (and often - your teammates) does not make you a great leader... In fact if any of the rumours are to be believed - you are more likely to find guys who despise him than people who want to play with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if Jordan is so good that he is both the best and second best player of all time.

Bill Russell is # 1 ....it's not even close.

Can't say I've EVER heard that call being made about Garnett.
Great player yes - very good defender yes - but no way would he go down as one of the greatest of all time.
---

And as for leadership - I would love to know which of his teamates rate him as a great leader - making a lot of noise and trying to intimidate the opposition, the refs, (and often - your teammates) does not make you a great leader... In fact if any of the rumours are to be believed - you are more likely to find guys who despise him than people who want to play with him.
Plenty of people involved in the game have talked about his defensive game as being amongst the best ever.

You sound like a typical Tim Duncan lover who wants to denounce Garnett. Did you just wake from a seven year coma? Did you miss the tremendous impact he made on the Celtics from 2007-2013?

Hilarious statement. Leadership is one of his best qualities. He never flat out abuses his teammates for not passing him the ball like Kobe does, nor did he ever divide the team like Kobe did with Shaq in 2004.

Plenty of people involved in the game have talked about his defensive game as being amongst the best ever.

You sound like a typical Tim Duncan lover who wants to denounce Garnett. Did you just wake from a seven year coma? Did you miss the tremendous impact he made on the Celtics from 2007-2013?

Hilarious statement. Leadership is one of his best qualities. He never flat out abuses his teammates for not passing him the ball like Kobe does, nor did he ever divide the team like Kobe did with Shaq in 2004.

No doubt the Celtics were better with him there. And no doubt he deserved a ring... and was probably the biggest part of them taking the next step.

And I'm not just talking about Timmy (though if rumours are to be believed - KG has a history of trash-talking about Timmy's mother, who died on his 14th birthday)... everything coming out of the NBA is that, unless you're Paul Pierce, people just don't like the guy... I don't think that makes you a great leader.
---

And comparing someone's leadership to Kobe, is like comparing someone's shooting to Rubios.

I guess you posted that in the right thread.

Yes only because I couldn't find the 'When I Say Best Ever .... I Mean From The Mid-1980's Thread'.

Phil Jackson when asked by Time if he could take any player who he would he take ....

"In my estimation, the guy that has to be there would be Bill Russell. He has won 11 championships as a player," Jackson said in an interview with Time. "That's really the idea of what excellence is, when you win championships."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9307574/phil-jackson-says-start-team-bill-russell-michael-jordan

Russell did whatever was necessary to win, and unlike when Jordan was playing ....there was not the shithouse expansion teams to beat up on.

Wilt maybe even give Jordan a run for 2nd but like in the Aussie Rules and cricket ....there are clear number ones - only the dumb and the young don't know it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back