2015 is THE most important year of Dimma's reign

Remove this Banner Ad

Winning contested possession has never been our problem.... It was the way we used the ball when we had it.... trying to hug the boundary and create stoppages... etc. I think I have been over it enough. Go back and read my Dear Dimma thread.
Nut is right.

Sydney round 14, Dimma has a presser where he said the strategy was to create stoppages and win the ball from there.
I can't recall which player it was that also confirmed that the plan was to get the ball out in the forward line to create a stoppate, then win the contested ball and score from there.

It was a dreadful strategy that proved ineffective and it took the team far too long to adjust to the attacking football 2014 was famous for.

2015 is going to be about possession, running, speed and accuracy.

Winning contested possession has never been our problem.... It was the way we used the ball when we had it.... trying to hug the boundary and create stoppages... etc. I think I have been over it enough. Go back and read my Dear Dimma thread.
We still need another contested ball beast to put thru the rotations. Imo it still is a problem sometimes, especially when we get don't in big games.

Nut is right.

Sydney round 14, Dimma has a presser where he said the strategy was to create stoppages and win the ball from there.
I can't recall which player it was that also confirmed that the plan was to get the ball out in the forward line to create a stoppate, then win the contested ball and score from there.

It was a dreadful strategy that proved ineffective and it took the team far too long to adjust to the attacking football 2014 was famous for.

It was a strategy for THAT game, not all games. This was also put in the Dear Dimma thread. Don't people realise that we adjust our game day tactics depending on the opponent?

It was a strategy for THAT game, not all games. This was also put in the Dear Dimma thread. Don't people realise that we adjust our game day tactics depending on the opponent?
Honestly, I don't remember the Dear Dimma thread arguments as there was a lot of negativity there.
You're right about different game plans for different teams. But..there's always a but...for mine the focus in the first half of the season was about slowing the play and contested possession. Whether that was just the way the team played or if it was the message from top down is something only the coaches and players know. For punters watching the result was the same.

Honestly, I don't remember the Dear Dimma thread arguments as there was a lot of negativity there.
You're right about different game plans for different teams. But..there's always a but...for mine the focus in the first half of the season was about slowing the play and contested possession. Whether that was just the way the team played or if it was the message from top down is something only the coaches and players know. For punters watching the result was the same.
That was in a nutshell the debate. I am in the players did it than the coaches did it camp.

Chaplin has been fine. At times excellent. Hampson has been s**t, but I can see why we got him (kind of).

We need to get another good ruckman. ASAP. I won't be sold on this Maric's cousin s**t. We need quality.

Chaplin is not fine. Can't play one on one. His game in the port final was horrid.

That was in a nutshell the debate. I am in the players did it than the coaches did it camp.

Interesting view to have considering the amount of players that were dropped in the first half.... And that we made fundamental changes in the way we moved the ball in the second half.

Last edited:
Nut is right.

They wanted to create stoppages in the Sydney game as they had been so poor all year at it.

They wanted to create stoppages in the Sydney game as they had been so poor all year at it.

Our stoppages were poor all year????? what stats do you look at? We matched most sides with the exception of the hawkss Freo and Geelong games... and in most cases won the stoppages but lost the game.
It was the way we used the ball... not our contested ball and stoppage winning ability. And that changed remarkably during the last half of the year.

The coach changed the game plan.... the fact that he denies this is disturbing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to be accountable like all it is that simple measured in at least a top 5 finish
The whole club from Dan down to the Orange peeler needs to be held accountable .if success eludes us nobodies position should be guaranteed to be safe. This is the only way to raise the standards by aiming high and everybody raising the bar in unison
Benny needs to enforce this mentality into all staff members
To this stage I honestly believe our admin and coaching team have had a free ride with little pressure on them
This year must be a no nonsense year and all staff must lift if the team is to improve on our last two EF losses otherwise DH will not be the only head to roll

The whole club from Dan down to the Orange peeler needs to be held accountable .if success eludes us nobodies position should be guaranteed to be safe. This is the only way to raise the standards by aiming high and everybody raising the bar in unison
Benny needs to enforce this mentality into all staff members
To this stage I honestly believe our admin and coaching team have had a free ride with little pressure on them
This year must be a no nonsense year and all staff must lift if the team is to improve on our last two EF losses otherwise DH will not be the only head to roll
Pretty fair to say that it really is a massive year for not only Dimma but the club and us supporters.Need to make hay while the sun is shinning(Dark clouds in the form of Suns and GWS are getting closer).

Pretty fair to say that it really is a massive year for not only Dimma but the club and us supporters.Need to make hay while the sun is shinning(Dark clouds in the form of Suns and GWS are getting closer).
Agree but it's frightening as other clubs are preparing themselves for a launch also.
We need to be on the ball as the industry is no longer made of of 12 clubs with weekend footballers who turn up after a 9-5pm week of work

Interesting view to have considering the amount of players that were dropped in the first half.... And that we made fundamental changes in the way we moved the ball in the second half.
Its a view I had in that thread, even considering what you just said. I stand by that view.

Our stoppages were poor all year????? what stats do you look at? We matched most sides with the exception of the hawkss Freo and Geelong games... and in most cases won the stoppages but lost the game.
It was the way we used the ball... not our contested ball and stoppage winning ability. And that changed remarkably during the last half of the year.

'Their stoppages', not ours.

FFS, Sydney's. As theflea said.

Agree but it's frightening as other clubs are preparing themselves for a launch also.
We need to be on the ball as the industry is no longer made of of 12 clubs with weekend footballers who turn up after a 9-5pm week of work
We'll findout our how much we are prepared for a launch with next years FA.Think we need to finish top 4 to get that monkey off our back.Go into the 1st final without a noose around our heads.

Please correct me if my memory is wrong but our mid season turn around coincided with the rigorous self appraisal facilitated by Leading Teams. Also may be wrong but a factor in our capitulation to Port in the elimination final was that we ran out of gas. Very few players had anything in the tank that day. Dimma deserves respect for elevating us from krill to mid level competitors - and in an environment of a compromised draft. So 2015 will be a key year for him because the pressure is on him to show that he has the strategic and practical coaching capacity to move us into that next level - namely the ability to challenge for a flag from one of the top four positions.

To this point in time and the failure to win a final .... Absolutely. He would have to one of the longest serving coaches with out a finals win.

Who cares about "winning a final"? We exist to win PREMIERSHIPS! :)

It's far better to spend 6 years building towards a premiership than to judge him on whether he "wins a final" in years 1, 2, or 3.

I don't judge him on meaningless H&A wins and not elimination final wins either. The next step may be to win a final, but that's not an achievement. Winning a final is nothing!

I only judge him on his ability to steer us closer to premiership success. I think his pedigree will be more effective if we become a top team too - he's not used to motivating mediocre football sides.

Why is winning an elimination final suddenly the benchmark for measuring success? Tell me that! ;)

Who cares about "winning a final"? We exist to win PREMIERSHIPS! :)

It's far better to spend 6 years building towards a premiership than to judge him on whether he "wins a final" in years 1, 2, or 3.

He failed in year 1 because your criteria for success is to win a final... surely that's not what you really think!

We're a million miles closer to a flag and that's the criteria I judge him on, not meaningless H&A wins and not elimination final wins either. The next step is to win a final, but that's not an achievement. Winning a final is nothing!

Why is winning an elimination final suddenly the benchmark for measuring success? Tell me that! ;)

??????????? yesr 3, 4 and 5 have been failures IMO...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back