If Abbott gets removed from the leadership of the Coalition who will replace him?

If the Coalition decide to remove Abbott who will most likely replace him?

• Warren Truss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Julie Bishop

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Joe Hockey

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Christopher Pyne

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Kevin Andrews

• Malcolm Turnbull

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Andrew Robb

• Greg Hunt

• Scott Morrison

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • George Brandis

• Other - Please Specify

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Mathias Cormann should be considered as leadership material. He has the ability to talk 'ad nauseum' in a monotone voice for hours & say the same think 6 times over. Thats an amazing skill.
Also he sounds like Arnie & only has to say 'I'll be back' anytime he loses an election or a vote in the house. Real leadership material right their.:p

For the people saying Julie Bishop how much do you think her past in regards to James Hardie and asbestos victims? Will it hurt her chances of getting the leadership of the Coalition (and as a result becoming PM) and if Labor start talking about it a lot more will it hurt the Coalition at the polls?

For the people saying Julie Bishop how much do you think her past in regards to James Hardie and asbestos victims? Will it hurt her chances of getting the leadership of the Coalition (and as a result becoming PM) and if Labor start talking about it a lot more will it hurt the Coalition at the polls?
As heartless as she appeared, she was a lawyer who was doing her job trying to get the best result for her clients. I wouldn't hold that against her.

As heartless as she appeared, she was a lawyer who was doing her job trying to get the best result for her clients. I wouldn't hold that against her.

No, but this is politics. You only have to look at the gutter politics of Abbott whilst opposition leader. Their will be no holds bared to dirty the names of people on both sides of the political divide. The 'Americanisation' of election campaigns has gotten us to this low point.
Do you think the ALP will go soft after the RC rubbish the LNP have put on Gillard etc?
No. I'm afraid it really has come to this.
Both political machines are dirty & are to blame.

[
Julie Bishop has been in 3 incompetent liberal party leadership teams, Nelson-Turnbull-Abbott the deputy leader should take the blame as well.

Maybe Abbott should be removed by the governor General, Gough stile, can't get his major money bills through the senate, ex army man General Cosgrove should have the balls chop him throw in shorten & call a double dissolution . Rupert & his papers should be on the front foot with this. What an enjoyment it would be to watch.

Abbott's antics whilst Health Minister haven't hurt him.

What's with you blokes? It's only taken you 14 months to start a leadership speculation thread.

NEWSFLASH: Some SMH hack will use the posts on this thread to write an article on the subject.
Your posts will be paraphrased as "anonymous sources within the government."

So RUNVS, Sherb, Poller & NTRabbit comments will be written up as members of the inner government

find my post from earlier this year predicting we'd have a new PM before years end...timing might be a little off, but it'll be the case, soon enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of those options are good so I voted for Morrison because he'd be the least popular by far.

Morrison... I mean, Latham lost an election for looking kinda like a bully that one time.

Bishop is the best balance between satisfying the caucus and the electorate. I'd expect her to get it if the opportunity arises.

Turnbull is probably more popular with the voters, but not well liked from some sections of the party.

Truss - Leader of the Nationals, so the Coalition agreement would prevent him from serving as PM long term. He's a relic anyway.
Hockey - Has tarnished his reputation. If they're looking for a quick-fix to their polling numbers, Hockey isn't the man.
Pyne - Highly unlikeable, petulant.
Andrews - Holds some scarily conservative social values that would turn off swinging voters.
Robb - I know little about him, they'd probably need someone with a bigger profile to move into the role.
Hunt - Not particularly likeable.
Morrison - Would win over some of the hard-right in caucus, but I doubt he'd appeal to voters.
Brandis - Would need to move into the HoR at an election, not really worth the hassle for someone of his competence.

Pretty much this.

But would hte party win with either Bishop or Turnbull? Sometimes seems less likely than winning with Abbott. Policy issues, and trust, are hurting the government, not individual profiles (Shorten is leading the opposition after all).

None of those options are good so I voted for Morrison because he'd be the least popular by far.

Morrison... I mean, Latham lost an election for looking kinda like a bully that one time.
Latham lost that election because he wanted to punish the working class who sent their kids to private schools.

It's not the leader, it's the policies.

Changing drivers will make no difference if they keep travelling in the same direction.

Political parties really need to get a handle on how to deal with the 24 hour Facebook-esque media environment. This is becoming a joke.

There is no threat to Abbott as PM. How do you bring down a first term government? You destabilise the leader. This will not happen. Only the Left are talking about his leadership. It is a non issue!

Back