LOL Brad the Brain wins - it's a teal guernsey!

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on who we are playing in a grand final, it will not be a surprise to be forced to wear a crappy jumper like this teal rubbish.
Nope, we would wear black against all of our current top four rivals, Freo pending and if a big vic club made a GF with us (lol) we'd wear white out of their stubbornness to use a clash jumper. The dilemma in the elim final was that it was a home game where we'd earned the right to play out home kit at AO, but in a GF in Melbourne against a big Vic side we would definitely get shafted to white, never teal though.

The more time passes the less I actually care about this. I still want a silver one to be added to the club wardrobe though. The main thing is the design of the jumper has not, and will not, be compromised.
We'll bring out the silver in a couple of years for sure.

I've suggested in the past that I would be in favour of a rotating clash strip – purely from a money/merchandising point of view – where every two years (the AFL's standard timeframe in which teams must keep any particular guernsey) we change from a white based guernsey, to a teal based one, to a silver based one and then back to white, then to teal, then silver, and so on and so forth and we repeat the cycle indefinitely.

By the time the cycle repeats again, I imagine our guernsey would have gone under enough change (sponsors changing, manufacturers changing, the chevrons getting bigger/smaller, general template updates, etc) so that they are distinct from the one worn the last time, and people will buy them all over again.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about it now as I've grown fond of our white clash, mostly because it's our 'away finals wins guernsey'. I mean, I wouldn't be against the idea, but I wouldn't jump through hoops to make it happen.

This doesn't massively bother me. It's a high quality kit.
Me neither, this inherent paranoia that we may have to wear the teal in a game outside preseason let alone in a final is bothering me. Don't people understand that the circumstances in which we had to produce the PBs as an alternative was extremely rare? Once Richmond update their clash in 2016 and West Coast return to the wings, most clash issues will be solved.

We will never have to wear this preseason jumper in a final, let alone a regular season game, unless the club on its own decides that it will replace the white jumper as our second kit from 2016.

Me neither, this inherent paranoia that we may have to wear the teal in a game outside preseason let alone in a final is bothering me. Don't people understand that the circumstances in which we had to produce the PBs as an alternative was extremely rare? Once Richmond update their clash in 2016 and West Coast return to the wings, most clash issues will be solved.

We will never have to wear this preseason jumper in a final, let alone a regular season game, unless the club on its own decides that it will replace the white jumper as our second kit from 2016.

Exactly it's just a pre-season jumper.
I don't think Hawthorn would have been forced to wear this in a final just because they wore it during the pre-season.
Hawthorn-Preseason-diamond.gif

I doubt it. Something about ISC that has clubs sticking with them very long term. And the shinniness of their player issue guernsey would really make the silver actually look like silver rather than grey.
I agree, finny. We seem to have built up a good rapport with them and I see no reason for us to change manufacturers (or even our other sponsors) for a long while yet, but who's to know what the landscape will be like in six years time? Buddha himself says that 'not one thing in the world can escape impermanence.' Our apparel sponsor included. Adidas might take note of our good sales and might decide to jump on our bandwagon, or, Allah forbid, ISC go under.

I digress from the more important issue here, though. When it's time for a silver guernsey, we'll probably get a silky dull grey, similar colour but different material to the current silver training gear we have, I imagine.

The teal on this new guernsey looks a bit off.
I'd like to see it in the same colour as our training tops.

1409992045593.jpg

Also... the image above is from an article by Ashley Porter prior to the elimination final.
It's probably been posted before but it's worth a repost.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rom-port-guernsey-furore-20140906-10d4f2.html
The same men will be wearing Port's black and white prison bars as would have worn its normal away strip, but psychologically Richmond has the edge here. Name another side that would be excited about wearing anything ahead of its normal guernsey or normal away strip? What does its AFL guernsey stand for? Richmond will be thinking they're playing a second-tier side; the prison bar jumper has a strong history in South Australia, but it means nothing to Richmond; there's no fear. It's laughable. Don't be surprised if Port takes time to hit its targets; the natural instinct of looking for a black, white and teal top, or a predominantly white top with these colours, won't be there.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rom-port-guernsey-furore-20140906-10d4f2.html

hqdefault.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me neither, this inherent paranoia that we may have to wear the teal in a game outside preseason let alone in a final is bothering me.

You'll have to forgive the mental scarring of the Planet-era fans for that.

After first watching this happen on our home deck...

image.jpg

... because Collingwood wanted to play hardball on wearing a halfway decent clash strip, then going through the "Power not Port Adelaide" era of John James and just last September being told to wear our away guernsey in the first home final at Adelaide Oval, it's hardly beyond the realms of THEY'VE MADE US DO WHAT to forsee a similar clusterfolk come to pass now we've made noises about a full set of chevron guernseys - that's all.

View attachment 94298

... because Collingwood wanted to play hardball on wearing a halfway decent clash strip, then going through the "Power not Port Adelaide" era of John James and just last September being told to wear our away guernsey in the first home final at Adelaide Oval, it's hardly beyond the realms of THEY'VE MADE US DO WHAT to forsee a similar clusterfolk come to pass now we've made noises about a full set of chevron guernseys - that's all.
I guess the AFL is unpredictable, but I'm sure we're out of the woods from the Power FC era. Richmond AFAIK were fine with wearing their clash strip entirely against our home but the AFL wanted them in their home. Pies will be fine with wearing their inverted top away but should it be a GF we would surely wear the white kit.

I do see your skepticism now. Previous *ups would all be avoided from present onwards I believe, we should always be able to wear BiB at home and in the case of a clash in a GF white will do fine.

I guess the AFL is unpredictable, but I'm sure we're out of the woods from the Power FC era. Richmond AFAIK were fine with wearing their clash strip entirely against our home but the AFL wanted them in their home. Pies will be fine with wearing their inverted top away but should it be a GF we would surely wear the white kit.

I do see your skepticism now. Previous ****ups would all be avoided from present onwards I believe, we should always be able to wear BiB at home and in the case of a clash in a GF white will do fine.

If we play 4 GFs in a row and get forced to wear white each time, would that be fine? The true answer is 'no'.

Some years ago, Cunningham as CEO mentioned in a member's meeting that the AFL were 'encouraging' us to adopt a permanent predominant teal jumper, and it was evident that Cunningham and the club didn't like to have our new colour scheme move to that degree. I felt that the blame fell on Port for the costumes it wore before and after this situation. It set a precedent. The club may do something 'once off' that is innovative but if the AFL likes it too much they make strong suggestions, they bite you with it later. The prelim versus Richmond worked in our favour regarding the 'Never Tear Us Apart' song but we've had such headache over jumpers for too long, why take this risk.

If we play 4 GFs in a row and get forced to wear white each time, would that be fine? The true answer is 'no'.

Some years ago, Cunningham as CEO mentioned in a member's meeting that the AFL were 'encouraging' us to adopt a permanent predominant teal jumper, and it was evident that Cunningham and the club didn't like to have our new colour scheme move to that degree. I felt that the blame fell on Port for the costumes it wore before and after this situation. It set a precedent. The club may do something 'once off' that is innovative but if the AFL likes it too much they make strong suggestions, they bite you with it later. The prelim versus Richmond worked in our favour regarding the 'Never Tear Us Apart' song but we've had such headache over jumpers for too long, why take this risk.
Yeah alright this is just paranoia carrying over from a different era. I trust our admin to be strong with our brand if the AFL wanted us to wear a teal top full time (they won't). Why would the AFL want to dilute a brand which was previously struggling and now thriving by bringing back elements from struggling times? That Cunningham anecdote is from a different era.

had such headache over jumpers for too long, why take this risk.
Because I reckon they have already sold 100? I bought one and a couple of other posters said they bought them also.A few others said they will.Even Brian the brain reckoned he will buy one although it wasn't what he expected.I saw no need to buy the BIB but I did this one as it might not be ariund next year.Maybe the silver next year?

View attachment 94298

So true!
Those of us that have been around a bit longer can remember all the "Power are not the real Port Adelaide" and "est 1997" damn awful sh**.
We can also recall the large amount of s*** guernseys brought out to appeal to kids. Teal was splashed everywhere during this time.
Not even winning a premiership in our original SBS jumper could save it because it didn't look Port Adelaide (intimidating).
A highlights package of Kane Cornes for his 300th could show him in as many as 14 different Port guernseys. That's s***!
So forgive us if we are a little concerned that this teal guernsey could go from pre season to regular clash. We're a bit tired of this new guernsey crap!

Because I reckon they have already sold 100? I bought one and a couple of other posters said they bought them also.A few others said they will.Even Brian the brain reckoned he will buy one although it wasn't what he expected.I saw no need to buy the BIB but I did this one as it might not be ariund next year.Maybe the silver next year?

Yep I bought one last night. I probably won't wear it to games but it's a nice little addition to the collection and throws some extra $$ towards the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back