Review The Melbourne Highlights Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted something similar in the Random Chat thread, but i'm going to repeat it.
So what with the University holidays and the boring grind of the off season, i started going back through my archive of Melbourne matches (It's a big archive let me tell you). Anyway the idea hit me that rather than me just enjoy re-watching a match i could do something productive as well as bring enjoyment to others.

So after posting my first upload in the Random Chat thread, i took the advice of Crimson Azure and decided to make a dedicated thread for my uploads. So here it is the Highlights thread. If anyone has seen youtuber SportsJunky my videos will follow a pretty similar format to his... Except, rather than game highlights, it's Melbourne highlights only.

Do keep in mind while i will work hard to put highlights up often but i am human, and i have average internet so don't expect constant uploads although i will try my best.

I'm not focussed on one era either and am not putting highlights up in any particular order, for example you might get highlights from a game this year, and then highlights from a game in the 90's.

Anyway, pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy highlights that are only red and blue. Feel free to discuss the classic matches and the great players. Also if anyone feels like it, give me a like or a comment, or like my posts here (you don't have too, but it keeps me motivated and it makes the work more rewarding :) ).

So i have nothing left to say but, Enjoy!

I posted this before also in the Random Chat thread, but i'll post it here too
Round 11 2011 Melbourne vs Essendon. This was the game where we responded the bruise free footy remarks after being beaten by carlton the previous friday. One of the great wins of 2011 in my opinion along with the Richmond game. i have included match facts in the description because i was to lazy to make annotations in the video.

Round 11 2011 Melbourne vs Essendon. This was the game where we responded the bruise free footy remarks after being beaten by carlton the previous friday. One of the great wins of 2011 in my opinion along with the Richmond game. i have included match facts in the description because i was to lazy to make annotations in the video.

I watched the highlights this morning. Names like Evans, Scully, Moloney, Rivers, Morton, Bennell, Martin, Strauss, Gysbert, Nicholsen, Jurrah, Green all gone. Gysbert was actually playing ok as was Evans. I wouldn't mind Martin still playing with us. Morton actually backed in to a pack making a spoil on one occassion. Why couldn't he and Gysbert play like that all the time. Green was a bloody champion - some of those goals he kicked were sensational. Gee I miss him!

Great idea darthsidusfan
I look forward to those afternoons when I can reminisce about better days

Will your focus be on individual matches or are you looking at other things as well such as a highlights package from the career of a champion, or our run to the 2000 GF?

Meds said:
Great idea darthsidusfan
I look forward to those afternoons when I can reminisce about better days

Will your focus be on individual matches or are you looking at other things as well such as a highlights package from the career of a champion, or our run to the 2000 GF?
I have a few games from the year 2000, unfortunately while i have some great classics the bulk of my archive is from the Bailey era and recently. As i said i'm not really uploading matches in a particular order, just whatever i decide to do next. i do have all our finals appearances from 2000 though, that preliminary final against North Melbourne is still just amazing to watch.

Edit: Also because i'm a fan of Green i might do a goals compilation from what footage i have, Jones will probably get a highlights package too

Great thread. At work so it's hard to contribute right now, but i have quite a few Melbourne videos favourited at home.

Round 4 1999 Melbourne vs Hawthorn at the MCG. Fair to say i really enjoyed putting this one together, average first quarter but a great contest between both sides throughout the match.

With Neitz and the Ox in the forward line there are some pretty exciting goals to be seen, Farmer was also exciting but his direct opponent Shane Crawford may have had the better of him in this match. Farmer in the end had opportunities to win the game for us in the final term but didn't, he kicked out of bounds on the full, dropped a mark and handballed to an opponent, so not the wizards finest moments right there. Scott Chisholm, gave away an unlucky free kick after laying a tackle in the goal square, the umpire was unable to see that the Hawthorn player took possession of the ball and payed holding the man giving Hawthorn a lucky goal to draw score level with five minutes to go left.

So the finnish to this game was pretty frantic, and i'm not going to spoil it for people who haven't seen the game, but it's one of the best finishes i've seen.

I have a couple of favourites over the years that will hopefully get a mention...
1998- Final game of the season when we belted the living Christ out of Richmond when they needed to beat us to make the 8,and the 2 finals that followed where we beat Adelaide & St Kilda... (We were jibbed that year)
2000- Qualifying Final against Carlton, what more can I say..
2005?- Round 21 when White kicked the winning goal from outside 50 with about 20 secs to go..
2006 Elimination Final, BRock

Not a lot of great ones after that though, although belting the swans in 2010 was pretty sweet

lose said:
I have a couple of favourites over the years that will hopefully get a mention...
1998- Final game of the season when we belted the living Christ out of Richmond when they needed to beat us to make the 8,and the 2 finals that followed where we beat Adelaide & St Kilda... (We were jibbed that year)
2000- Qualifying Final against Carlton, what more can I say..
2005?- Round 21 when White kicked the winning goal from outside 50 with about 20 secs to go..
2006 Elimination Final, BRock

Not a lot of great ones after that though, although belting the swans in 2010 was pretty sweet
I have all of them but round 21 2005, 1998 is vhs quality and has some audio problems

Round 4 1999 Melbourne vs Hawthorn at the MCG. Fair to say i really enjoyed putting this one together, average first quarter but a great contest between both sides throughout the match.

With Neitz and the Ox in the forward line there are some pretty exciting goals to be seen, Farmer was also exciting but his direct opponent Shane Crawford may have had the better of him in this match. Farmer in the end had opportunities to win the game for us in the final term but didn't, he kicked out of bounds on the full, dropped a mark and handballed to an opponent, so not the wizards finest moments right there. Scott Chisholm, gave away an unlucky free kick after laying a tackle in the goal square, the umpire was unable to see that the Hawthorn player took possession of the ball and payed holding the man giving Hawthorn a lucky goal to draw score level with five minutes to go left.

So the finnish to this game was pretty frantic, and i'm not going to spoil it for people who haven't seen the game, but it's one of the best finishes i've seen.

Man our jumpers look good there.

This is not mine but still a good find. The final moments of the queens birthday clash against Collingwood 2004. Credit to the guy who put this up. perhaps a hint towards the next match i'm working on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOVE this goal. This was a good win too :thumbsu:

another good one from recent times

The passages of play leading up to Watts' first goal then Moloneys goal reminds me of we actually looked damn good at times under Bailey.

Last edited:
This is not mine but still a good find. The final moments of the queens birthday clash against Collingwood 2004. Credit to the guy who put this up. perhaps a hint towards the next match i'm working on

the one thing I hate about this is seeing Scott Thompson it a deed jumper, hurts

Sorry guys been a little bit busy but here is the next video

Round 12 2010 is one of the great queens birthday clashes in recent times, i can remember watching this game in the final minutes, i thought Collingwood where going to rob us again after beating us by a point in round 2 earlier in the season. Turns out neither side could manage that all important behind or goal in the final stages of play and the game ended in a thrilling draw. Considering the amount of points the pies kicked we where perhaps lucky to get into a competitive position, still though as a Melbourne supporter at the time i was thrilled with the effort but left wondering to what could have been a memorable win over the pies.

Also i included the team line ups and just wanted to make a note that only nine current day demons are playing

Also if you want a good story about the great Jim Stynes there is one he once told on the footy show that is attached to this game. I can't directly quote it but i remember it well. Stynes who i think had been in hospital the pervious day was meant to be at home recovering and of course was watching the game at home. At around the closing stages of the third quarter or the beginning of the last Jim thought to himself that we where a good chance to win this. Not wanting to miss this Jim left for the MCG. if you happened to be outside the MCG during the match you may have noticed Jim Stynes pacing around watching or listening to the final moments. Stynes said at the time he said to himself "well if they win i'll go in and if they loose i go back home, then i thought oh bugger it's a draw. So i thought what do i do? i decided to go in because they put in a good effort". (that quote is very loose but from memory thats around about what he said, if anyone can find this interview it would be great.)

That was a weird day of footy. I took a friend of mine from France to his first afl game that day. I remember sitting in the Ponsford on level 2 among a ton of freo fans who were gloating and yelling out how bored they were with how 'easy' it was all the way through the first half. I sat there embarrassed i had brought this dude along to introduce him to footy. In his naivety, he kept telling me we were still in it all the way through. I'd just laugh and get another beer.

Then the second half happened

EDIT: Apologies for the poor quality of the above vid

while i'm waiting for some exporting i'll give some clues out to what the next matches will be
1 - We vs the gold coast but not at the MCG or Metricon
2 - The second last time we won some silverware

I would just like to say sorry for the delay getting this video out, i was right to upload in two weeks ago but the internet crashed so hence why the delay. But anyway here it is Gold Coast vs Melbourne round 4 2011, this was the first time that these sides clashed. This match was played at the Gabba like the rest of Gold Coast's early home games that season due to construction on metricon stadium not having finished yet. Garry Ablett was absent from the suns line up. Brett Maloney had a big game after being the headlines for the wrong reasons during the week and having the vice captaincy stripped off him. We were clearly the favourites to this one and despite some early fight by the suns the match pretty much played out to expectations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back