Opinion Most Disappointing Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett.

After he tore Glass to shreds in only his second game who didn't think we had an absolute superstar on the horizon. His 2007 was very good in the first half and then in the second half he struggled with injury. He showed some massive glimpses in the finals series of what could of been. What a waste of talent.

Agree, extremely disappointing from a fan's point of view. With the application and desire of his brother he'd be one of, if not the best key forward in the comp right now.

Frustrates the s**t out of me when opposition fans declare him a spud who only got games in 2007 because of his name. Contributed greatly to the way that forward line functioned as a unit.

Was going to post the same thing. I will always believe that Nathan Ablett would have become a superstar - even better than Hawkins. The two of them would have been one of the great forward duos, IMO.

Decent season for a 21-year-old key forward with 15 games under his belt prior.

I knew Cocky before any of you.....................

Very easy to drop a "y" from that sentence :p

Decent season for a 21-year-old key forward with 15 games under his belt prior.

Came here to say this and everything else that everyone has said about Nath Ablett.
Biggest waste of talent we have seen at the Cats in 20+ years.

Interesting on Nathan why he didn't become a true gun kpp of the AFL.moons said on open mike Gary Jr was a shithouse trainer he didn't like it bit came back and started to become the gun he is now.maybe nath didn't like all the training and all the other stuff that come with being a footy player. Most def wasted talent.

* me the Ablett boys have been a loss to footy, Gary not playing finals for 4 years and Nathan walking away...:cry:

If Nathan had taken off, he'd be playing right now next to Tummy Porkins and Gary would still be at the club.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

**** me the Ablett boys have been a loss to footy, Gary not playing finals for 4 years and Nathan walking away...:cry:

If Nathan had taken off, he'd be playing right now next to Tummy Porkins and Gary would still be at the club.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
A lot of us were waiting for the Ablett boys,me more so Nathan than Gary and it saddens me that they're not running around in the Blue and White hoops, I always got a kick out of it to if they flashed the TV cameras onto the old man in the stand or in the rooms after the game.I'll always be grateful for the football pleasure the Abletts brought to my life.100 goal in a season to Noblett and a flag to the old man,I'd have liked to have seen that.

What went wrong with him. Did Cats stuff up taking him at No.1, was he injured, or what?

Did develop severe patellar tendonotis = jumpers knee, which for a ruckman is career threatening. IIRC, he never fully recovered.
Disappointing in that he was our only #1 pick ever.
Nathan Ablett.

After he tore Glass to shreds in only his second game who didn't think we had an absolute superstar on the horizon. His 2007 was very good in the first half and then in the second half he struggled with injury. He showed some massive glimpses in the finals series of what could of been. What a waste of talent.

Definitely Nathan Ablett for me.
I'm sure after his improvement in 07, Bomber and the team had massive plans for Mooney, Hawkins and NAB.
As soon as I heard he went AWOL in 08, I felt despair, what should have been. It put a lot of pressure on Lonergan up forward, and Mooney really missed him. That, and the loss of Egan were blows in 08 that were costly, and Harry at that stage was not at his peak.
For sheer talent, athleticism and potential , how do you go past Nathan Ablett as our most disappointing?

Ranga Ediriwickrama
Not that I ever thought he'd make it as a player but imagine the fun the commentators would have had with that name!
He is actually a good name to throw up.

Had decent wraps on him when we rookied him with many believing, me being one, that he was probably good enough to be on the senior list so when we were able to rookie him it seemed like a steal.

Had bad hammies from memory.

He is still running around for Pennant Hills though.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-afl-grand-final/story-fngr8j1q-1227070288753

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd nominate two - Nathan Ablett at the top of the list, and probably David Spriggs as runner-up.

Ablett's easily the biggest waste of talent I've seen at Geelong. We've had talented players not make it for a variety of reasons, but very few because they simply couldn't be bothered. Or were perturbed by the public glare (which isn't out of the question with him). Considering how excited we get about key forward prospects now, he was doing five times as much as any we've had since (excluding Pods), doing it far easier, and wasn't at all put off by the pace of the game or big game pressure. He was inconsistent from week to week, but as he'd only played 32 games for us, that's to be expected.

Spriggs was pretty disappointing too I'd say. A very promising midfielder, with pace, he never got over his knee injury, and more importantly mentally never recovered. Was a shadow of what he'd promised to be by the time he went to Sydney.

Importantly, neither of these guys failed due to injuries, or not getting enough chances. It was simply their own doing. Shame.

Interesting on Nathan why he didn't become a true gun kpp of the AFL.moons said on open mike Gary Jr was a shithouse trainer he didn't like it bit came back and started to become the gun he is now.maybe nath didn't like all the training and all the other stuff that come with being a footy player. Most def wasted talent.

If so it is rather odd he went on to be a personal trainer

He is actually a good name to throw up.

Had decent wraps on him when we rookied him with many believing, me being one, that he was probably good enough to be on the senior list so when we were able to rookie him it seemed like a steal.

Had bad hammies from memory.

He is still running around for Pennant Hills though.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-afl-grand-final/story-fngr8j1q-1227070288753

only good wraps on bigfooty
was ment to be the next big thing, the bigfooty hype on him was bizarre

eardley clone

Did develop severe patellar tendonotis = jumpers knee, which for a ruckman is career threatening. IIRC, he never fully recovered.
Disappointing in that he was our only #1 pick ever.

Definitely Nathan Ablett for me.
I'm sure after his improvement in 07, Bomber and the team had massive plans for Mooney, Hawkins and NAB.
As soon as I heard he went AWOL in 08, I felt despair, what should have been. It put a lot of pressure on Lonergan up forward, and Mooney really missed him. That, and the loss of Egan were blows in 08 that were costly, and Harry at that stage was not at his peak.
For sheer talent, athleticism and potential , how do you go past Nathan Ablett as our most disappointing?

Actually people seem to forget that Lonergan wasn't even the first choice as a replacement for Ablett in 2008 - Hawkins was initially the go-to as the 2nd tall but his body wasn't up to the strain at that point and he broke down after 7 weeks. Considering that Lonergan was a defender-turned-forward-turned-defender-turned-forward at that point, he acquitted himself well for 36 goals from 16 games. Ablett's 2007 season was 34 goals from 21 yet Lonergan is always unfairly described as a spud forward while Ablett is talked of in revered tones. I guess not winning the flag has poisoned everyone's memory of his season as opposed to a sub-par effort by an inexperienced (and coming from arguably further behind than Nathan, near death and all) player.

Last edited:
Actually people seem to forget that Lonergan wasn't even the first choice as a replacement for Ablett in 2008 - Hawkins was initially the go-to as the 2nd tall but his body wasn't up to the strain at that point and he broke down after 7 weeks. Considering that Lonergan was a defender-turned-forward-turned-defender-turned-forward at that point, he acquitted himself well for 36 goals from 16 games. Ablett's 2007 season was 34 goals from 21 yet Lonergan is always unfairly described as a spud forward while Ablett is talked of in revered tones. I guess not winning the flag has poisoned everyone's memory of his season as opposed to a sub-par effort by an inexperienced (and coming from arguably further behind than Nathan, near death and all) player.

He did. I think the difference was it became clear he wasn't the strongest overhead mark - especially against good opposition - and he had poor games against the Dogs and Hawthorn (especially when it mattered). Remember he did play up forward in Round 1, 2009 against Hawthorn, and again was quiet, and that was pretty much the last time he was played there.

He did. I think the difference was it became clear he wasn't the strongest overhead mark - especially against good opposition - and he had poor games against the Dogs and Hawthorn (especially when it mattered). Remember he did play up forward in Round 1, 2009 against Hawthorn, and again was quiet, and that was pretty much the last time he was played there.
And the same has been said of Buddy (weak overhead), and much further into his career than Lonergan was at that point. I'm not trying to belittle Nathan's potential, but emphasize that sometimes we romanticise his actual output knowing that he will never be able to prove us correct or wrong when we've also witnessed a perceived "battler" do the same thing but not acknowledge it as potential, rather as failure.

And the same has been said of Buddy (weak overhead), and much further into his career than Lonergan was at that point. I'm not trying to belittle Nathan's potential, but emphasize that sometimes we romanticise his actual output knowing that he will never be able to prove us correct or wrong when we've also witnessed a perceived "battler" do the same thing but not acknowledge it as potential, rather as failure.

Possibly. I would have had Ablett alongside Mooney in that Grand Final every day of the week ahead of Lonergan though.

Echo the Ablett sentiments, the old man gave us years of loyal service, then both of his sons walk out on the club. Man have we lost some major talent over our run.

I have no doubt had just these 2 stayed at the club, we probably would have won another flag or 2 by now.

Last edited:
He was temporarily another great white hope. Kicked 10 goals in a practice match in 1990 too. We forgot Cameron Roberts as well.
And Gavin Exell. Kicks 69 goals in '89. What did he do after that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back