Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi folks
All general post match discussion here please

A really enjoyable game of footy.

I thought the boys fitness held up, they were fast, and played hard

The Good:

Langdon: Played the Maxwell role perfectly, lots of intercept marking and strength in the contests. Missed some kicks but a great game.

Sidebottom: Sloppy at times but found plenty of the ball and lead well

Adams: Similar to Sidebottom, found plenty of it but still needs to get the shocking kicks out of his game to take the next step.

Williams: Very strong in the contest, very rarely lost a contest.

Kennedy: Busy all night and got a lot of ball going our way

Fasolo: Back where he belongs and doing what he does best, could be in for a big year UP FORWARD. 4 Goals and lots of strong marking, great to see.

Greenwood: Started slowly but got better as the match went on, showed good signs late especially in the contest.

Karnezis: Like Fasolo, he has a lot to prove in 2015. Was very dangerous all game and could add a lot to our forward line.

White: Strong all game and showed great aggression

Gault: Showed everything you want a young KPF to show, needs to do it every week now.

De Goey: Super impressive final quarter, showed strong hands, composure and foot skills. Super excited by this kid.

The Bad:

Brown: Beaten badly early and provided no rebound

Varcoe: Timid early and made a few mistakes late, probably still warming up.

Frost: Didn't give any rebound and defensively was ok

The Rest:

Broomhead: Seemed to float through the game, did a few nice things then went missing for patches.

Dywer/Oxley: Very limited game time playing as the subs, neither really had an impact.

Goldsack: Barely touched the ball, got a nice goal early.

Toovey: Subbed off early

Grundy: Good around the ground and competed fine in the ruck, probably drew with Ceglar in the end.

Crisp: Started well then faded, showed enough to suggest he can make a career for himself.

Freeman: Has played very little football in the past year and it showed, didn't have an impact and his disposal was ordinary. Want to see an improvement next game.

Sinclair: Competed well but kicking is still poor

Ramsay: Did a few decent things, didn't notice him much.

Thomas: Found a lot of the ball without being too damaging.

Whilst this may only be a pre-season game, it's hard not to be impressed with some of your young players, inparticular Corey Gault. Looks a likely type and could be a handy forward/second ruck this year.

Good luck for 2015.

Can't believe we beat them. Langdon crushed it.

My review of tonight's game consists solely of your avatar repeated a whole bunch of times...

48858.jpg
48858.jpg
48858.jpg
48858.jpg
48858.jpg
48858.jpg
48858.jpg

Fasolo and Karnezis have one thing you can't teach, goal sense and finishing ability.
If they can get fit, stick the coaches instructions re defensive pressure (PK had 5 tackles!) they will hit the scoreboard, something we obviously lack.

De Goey will be a star, same feels as the first time I sae Pendles play. White looks light and his attack was super, Sinclair will play round one, has a point of difference in the squad. Crisp was great, and Greenwood is an absolute bull and was clearly playing so within himself.

Disappointed with the decision making of JT and Adams at stages, only negative.
Fasolo and Karnezis have one thing you can't teach, goal sense and finishing ability.
If they can get fit, stick the coaches instructions re defensive pressure (PK had 5 tackles!) they will hit the scoreboard, something we obviously lack.

De Goey will be a star, same feels as the first time I sae Pendles play. White looks light and his attack was super, Sinclair will play round one, has a point of difference in the squad. Crisp was great, and Greenwood is an absolute bull and was clearly playing so within himself.

For me the most promising aspect was our forward pressure. The guys clearly wanted to win this game and tackled well. We found a good spread of goal kickers which was also a positive. We basically beat Box Hill tonight so I am not getting too carried away. Mitchell showed us at times the true gulf between our sides. Good start though so I am having a scotch.

Corey Gault is horrible around the ground/below his knees. But his centre square ruck work I thought was quite good, hands are still very iffy but excellent to see him clunk one.

Good:
Grundy
Kennedy
Elliot
Langdon (kicking poor though)
Greenwood
De Goey
White
Karnezis
Fasolo
Sinclair

Bad:
Freeman
Varcoe
Brown
Frost
Adams

Great night to see the youth step out, no injuries so clearly a big tick overall

Some positives in no particular order:

1) Gault didn't look out of place, provided a target. There is something there to work with.

2) Some guys who have had queries over their tank finished off the game well. Karnezis, Kennedy, J Thomas, Grundy were still pushing strong in the last. All three looking closer to the level required and that's a big plus. All of them bring some serious impact if they can put it together.

3) Greenwood/Crisp/Varcoe all competed hard and gave pretty much what you would expect, though Crisp if anything surprised me. Think he has some good upside.

4) Adams disposal improved with the match. Confidence still seems the key for Tay.

5) Good for Freeman and De Goey to get one under their belts. De Goey looks a real goer, Freeman still blowing out the cobwebs but I liked what I saw.

6) Fasolo the forward is a revelation.

7) Ball movement, quick, decisive.

8) Pressure on the opposition high and consistent.

9) Langdon's intercept marking and leadership. Me likey molto.

10) Forward entries; our efficiency in turning I50's into goals was like nothing I saw last year, at last we seem to have the makings of a forward structure that can disorganise opponents and players who can execute entries effectively.

I believed you the first time :D
And I agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langdon is fantastic but he has some poor kicks at stages despite the fact that he is actually one of our best kicks.

I worked out the reason why tonight and it's simple -- when he is fatigued and drops concentration he takes his eyes of the ball and doesn't watch it onto the boot when he kicks. He looks at the target instead.

It is easily fixed and he will overcome that with experience. I love him.

BAD

Thought Freeman looked lost and pulled out from some clashes not a good start I'm afraid..

Frost really gave nothing and seem same old, needs to be more effective

Brown, played like he hadn't for a while, needs to know how to body.

Goldy & Tooves both subbed at half time but average at best

Varcoe looked timid

We really are 1 perhaps 2 good defensive players short.

GOOD

Levi
Crisp
Langdon
Grundy
Fasolo
Sinclair
Adams
Kennedy
Degoey
Elliott

OK
The rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Grundy was really good tonight. Looks lost when jumping in ten ruck but very good when holding his ground.

His work at ground level around the stoppages was good and a goal to top it off.

Good thing is we have a lot to work with now. Add the big names missing tonight and our centre work improves and with Reid down back and Cloke forward both ends shore up.

Just impressed how we moved the ball for the first hit out of the season and such a young team.

Good work team

Whilst this may only be a pre-season game, it's hard not to be impressed with some of your young players, inparticular Corey Gault. Looks a likely type and could be a handy forward/second ruck this year.

Good luck for 2015.

Wait to you see Moore Then;)

For me the best thing was our ball movement and accuracy. 73% disposal efficiency against a well drilled side like the Hawks was impressive, and we moved the ball really well once we got in cleanly out of the backline.

Getting it out of that backline was an issue though, need Reid down there to accurately direct traffic and use it cleanly.

FASOLO IS A FORWARD, end of story, sorry.

For me the most promising aspect was our forward pressure. The guys clearly wanted to win this game and tackled well. We found a good spread of goal kickers which was also a positive. We basically beat Box Hill tonight so I am not getting too carried away. Mitchell showed us at times the true gulf between our sides. Good start though so I am having a scotch.

I've already had 4 scotches and I'm about to have a nightcap to see me out for the night :thumbsu:

I thought Goldy was very good actually and set the tempo for the fierce forward line pressure early in the game. Plays his role perfectly IMO.

YES! Not many people seem to understand this. Sack is a massive part of our plans for 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back