Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Blicavs last quarter in particular was tremendous I thought….solid marking, great heart and endurance, and almost fittingly, kicked the sealer…

Going to be around for quite some time …. Well done Mark Blicavs. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Suspected this thread might get a bump ;)
Blicavs was superb today and he's easily been in our top half dozen in the three rounds so far this season imo.

Forget the much-storied athletics background; the guy can play; has shown good signs since day one and continues to improve.

If he was judged as a first round key-position player or even as a mature aged recruit, I'd suggest his contributions so far would still be viewed in a positive light.

I think questions surrounding his position/role in the team fail to take into account that Blicavs is comfortably inside our best 22 and has been for some time.

To me, the answer to the oft-asked question 'where does he play?' is simple: everywhere.

I only saw the last 10 minutes of the game. At the centre bounces it was Stanley (rucking), Selwood, Johnson and Blicavs. He didn't look out of place.

worked a treat at times at the stoppages, although Blicavs could still do with a bit of improvement when directing his taps, particularly when he gets a good run at it like he did a few times today, with Stanley holding off the opposition ruckman and Blicavs pretty much going up uncontested.

Caddy also got one or two decent hit-outs as the 'third man up' today, I thought?

Next whipping boy: Murdoch.
Justified at the moment though I would say. Should not be ahead of Blease on form, that's for sure. That's not his fault though I know but he hasn't shown anything this year to deserve a spot. I haven't seen today's game yet though, so I can't say anything about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Justified at the moment though I would say. Should not be ahead of Blease on form, that's for sure. That's not his fault though I know but he hasn't shown anything this year to deserve a spot. I haven't seen today's game yet though, so I can't say anything about that.
Oh I agree. Just thought I'd point out that the hordes will quickly turn to their new target. :)

If Murdoch gets a game next week I'll be speechless. Especially if GHS is out again.

Oh I agree. Just thought I'd point out that the hordes will quickly turn to their new target. :)

If Murdoch gets a game next week I'll be speechless. Especially if GHS is out again.
Absolutely. I would have

Out: Bartel, Lonergan, Stoke, Murdoch
In: GHS, Gore, Kolo, Blease

and be very excited about it. I actually don't care that much about the result, I just want us pumping games into these guys now because the talent does look good. Lang, Bews, Thurlow, Gregson, Cockatoo, Walker are all looking really promising if we can add to that group we could be a very good side again in 2-3 years. These injuries could really be a blessing (obviously don't want to see guys injured, make it does make the selection easier for getting these you guys some games)

Just keeps getting better and better. So much more consistent too.
That sealer from outside 50 was obviously amazing, but I remember one play (forget which quarter) where he smothered the ball from a Gold Coast player trying to break the run which would of ended in a certain goal to them. Ended up in our forward line after that.

Just keeps getting better and better. So much more consistent too.
That sealer from outside 50 was obviously amazing, but I remember one play (forget which quarter) where he smothered the ball from a Gold Coast player trying to break the run which would of ended in a certain goal to them. Ended up in our forward line after that.

so many times he looks like he's gone for all money. Sure to get pinged for holding the ball, or sure to turn it over, but he continually makes it come off. He either has exceptional awareness, or he's got other players fooled as to what he's going to do. Also, his tackling is superb. It's been said over and over again, a guy his height should be giving away plenty more free kicks than what he currently is (0.55 per game throughout his career & 0 this year).

so many times he looks like he's gone for all money. Sure to get pinged for holding the ball, or sure to turn it over, but he continually makes it come off. He either has exceptional awareness, or he's got other players fooled as to what he's going to do. Also, his tackling is superb. It's been said over and over again, a guy his height should be giving away plenty more free kicks than what he currently is (0.55 per game throughout his career & 0 this year).

he regularly changes direction under pressure in tight spaces; opponents don't expect him to be so slippery/ambitious.

good point regarding the tackling, too, he's always been surprisingly adept at not going high with his tackles.

How good are his hands in traffic? Bloody good but quite unbelievable for someone from his background.

Play him as the third tall defender (that is as a Rivers replacement and Kolo can take Mackie's position when the time comes). Obviously he can also be used in the ruck when needed.

Absolutely. I would have

Out: Bartel, Lonergan, Stoke, Murdoch
In: GHS, Gore, Kolo, Blease

and be very excited about it. I actually don't care that much about the result, I just want us pumping games into these guys now because the talent does look good. Lang, Bews, Thurlow, Gregson, Cockatoo, Walker are all looking really promising if we can add to that group we could be a very good side again in 2-3 years. These injuries could really be a blessing (obviously don't want to see guys injured, make it does make the selection easier for getting these you guys some games)

I like your sentiments. I just wish GHS did a little more as I was really hoping he would kick on this year.

I had given up on Murdoch and thought he might be traded at year's end - if we can get something decent for him. Just does not do not do enough. Then again he has this season to prove me wrong - as we do need the leg speed.

I like your sentiments. I just wish GHS did a little more as I was really hoping he would kick on this year.

I had given up on Murdoch and thought he might be traded at year's end - if we can get something decent for him. Just does not do not do enough. Then again he has this season to prove me wrong - as we do need the leg speed.
I don't really think the leg speed is a problem except for at half back maybe, it's more our ball movement.

Motlop, Cocktaoo, Gregson, Stanley, Selwood, Guthrie, Bews, Caddy, Smedts, Duncan are all pretty quick, some seriously fast. Some just need more games into them and we need to learn to get the ball to these guys in space more often by winning it at more contest and stoppages. Murder just can't get involved at all for some reason, at least Blease is running around in the two racking up 20+ touches and a bunch of clearances nearly every week so far.

He would have played a lot of basketball growing up with his parents background I'd reckon, would that that's really helped him with ball in hand.
Good point. He has transferred the skill to handball form really well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back