Analysis Good Bad and Ugly V GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good:
  • Um.... I'm sure there is something
  • Jacobs had a pretty good game and competed well
  • Walker was good across the match
  • Eddie is still Eddie. If we had a midfield left he would kick 100 the way he is playing
  • Laird was excellent again
  • Dangerfield really battled and played a good game
  • Our defenders deserve praise after todays match. They battled well against an onslaught
  • Lever is a GUN. He is going to be something special.
The Bad:

• Our lack of intensity around the ground. The so called Manic pressure is long gone
  • Tackle count was appalling
  • Our long list of guys who try but just aren't up to the standard. Walsh said in preseason that he knows al these guys can drive, but he wants to see who can drive an F1 car. He is getting a very clear picture now
  • VB. I just have no idea what his role is. His habit of awful turnovers has been killing us for too many years.

The Ugly:

• Our 1st 15 minutes. Just unforgivable.
  • Our injury list. Ridiculous. Might as well send out the SANFL team next week.
  • Wright. Hopeless. Slow. Can't kick. Awful decision maker. Put a line through him.
  • Grigg, Kerridge, Lyons showing they are fringe players who won't make your team any better. Need to use them while we have to, but put some young guys in when the opportunity presents. They just aren't AFL standard.
  • Our unbreakable habit of scrapping a goal after 10 minutes of effort and then giving up an easy goal within 30 seconds. Amazing how often we do it.

Good
Dangerfield really stood up, and while his disposal remains iffy his strength overhead was really on display
Lyons showing something for the first time this year. Really hope he can keep it up
Talia beat Cameron fairly comprehensively
Lever in the first half
Mackay with TWO solid games in a row. Who would have thought?
Eddie and Walker presented well and battled hard.
Very happy Grigg has grabbed his opportunity like this. Almost cemented himself in the team at this point.

Bad
We lost this game in 15 minutes. The start of the 1st and the end of the 3rd. At least we remained competitive.
Van Berlo, Wright, Brown, Kelly, Cameron, Kerridge, Cheney, CEY, and Thommo all struggled.

Ugly

This run with injuries is getting ridiculous
I've always had a soft spot for VB, but it's really getting hard to justify him being in the team

Lyons?? What drugs are you smoking?

Our injury list caught up with us today.

Also, I have no idea why, but we are not the same side since Thommo came in for the Melbourne game. We seem so much slower, messier, lazier, more panicked and structureless compared to the North and Collingwood games.

VB and Wright costly again.

I felt we played better than we have done the last three weeks. Our injuries caught up as we played a team that is in red hot form and are very quick with big bodies.

Lever has shown his class this year. Both he and Talia did well I felt. Cameron made little impact and Stewart was barely near it. Cheney was never going to beat McCarthy. Their use of three key forwards, none of whom Ruck much, is unique in the AFL.

Sauce well beaten by Mumford. Did like seeing him up forward near the end.

Tex had a decent game. Main blemish was letting that last goal of the first quarter due to him not filling the hole at CHB. Other than that a good game.

Betts quiet, but still kicked four. if that makes sense.

Crouch was the best of our young mids.

VB and Wright were next to useless.

It's not a disaster, it's a confirmation that none of our young midfielders playing today are good enough to build a midfield around. Not enough talent by some stretch.
Well no s**t genius our midfield is built around Sloane, B.Crouch, Danger and Smith of which 75% didn't play today.

Grigg worked into the game nicely and used the ball beautifully will be a good rotation/flanker. Crouch was better after half time we aren't expecting him to dominate every week are we? The gws guys have 50 extra games over our young guys.

Our young backline is super impressive Lever, Kelly, Laird are all top notch talents.

Your negatively biased view is s**t tbh.

Good:
Tex
Danger
Sauce
Crouch
Grigg
Lever
Laird until injury

Bad: Everyone in defence besides Lever and Laird.
Lyons
Kerridge
NVB
Why is Wright still an AFL player
Thommo wasn't great today

Ugly
Our inability to stop their run
Couldn't hold momentum all game
Tackling. It was one of our worst displays EVER.

Lyons Bad!! He was outstanding in the last qtr. although quiet in the first 3 qtrs...because he was sub...again:mad:

Good:
Danger - a lone hand, and he didn't shirk it - 27 disposals at 85%, but needed a lot more help.
Walker (first half esp),
Eddie with his usual (!) 4,
Lever so young and classy you'd think he should be playing for GWS :)
Jacobs did ok round the ground, but well beaten in the ruck
Talia - did well on Cameron, but geez, they had so many other forwards
Kelly was good early.

Bad/meh
We have a lot of middlers found out
Bob Crouch got a lot, but too many handballs - his kicks were actually good, needs to use it more often. But not bad for game 11 (easy to forget that)
Brown had a bad one
Cheney had a very bad one
JJ had a very JJ kind of game
Our Kicking. JFC. Turn overs across half back.
Kedge before he went down looked lost.
Lyons took a while to get going. Looked good when the game was done (more meh than bad)

Ugly
Laird. Geez, when he went down 50% of the toughness in our side went down.
Kedge. Can't take a trick
Dwayen. JFC he is bad
Roo. JFC I hate him commenting the Crows.

Overall I thought we did ok. I tipped GWS given our lack of a midfield and that they're in reasonable form. I think some of the reason for our bad starts is that every new team we play we are having to get our new Walsh style setup against them. It takes us a while but once we get going we've rarely been blown away, only bulldogs.

Good
Jake and Jake, especially lever. Going to have to watch how he charges like he does, going to end up hurting himself badly one day.
Goal kicking mostly, Eddie and Tex especially.
Tex's best game for year I reckon. Stood up.
If we had full rotations and full midfield and don't give them more than a couple goal head start we win that easy.
Umpiring was pretty good.
Matt Crouch did well.
Laird.
Grigg did well too. Lyons was handy when he was on.
Liked Cheney.
Curly continuing his good form, not as much possession today but still did well for a 5 gamer.

Bad
Jenkins has to be dropped. Need to see ROB and / or pods.
Unable to get consecutive goals in the middle part of the match.
Lairdy getting hurt - a) we lose probably our best player and b) we wanted to grind them down and we were running over the top of them but then that break allowed them to get their speed back and they skipped away.
Some bad mistakes by senior players - Mackay has become even more frustrating, seems to me he's made his best better but his worse worser!! :eek:
VB is out of touch but gotta remember he's just back after being out for a year, give him another half dozen games and he'll be handy.
Slipping over, I thought we did it a lot more than them.
Centre clearances.
Too often we are in too close to the contest, you frequently see us blocking us and then not having anyone to go to on outside. We've improved this under walsh and I'm willing to be patient while it gets ironed out slowly.
Some dumb kicks into the forward line, again, we've got a fair bit better than last year and I'm happy with the progress.
Injuries :thumbsdown:
At the start of the game we were handpassing when we should have kicked and kicking when we should have handpassed. Some people are pretty bad at it all game.
Wasnt impressed about the commentators saying about GWS skills so much, if they're so good why didnt they chip through our zone? They are skilled but playing on the outside all the time makes them look better than they are. Conversely, we make ourselves look worse but I'm still pretty happy overall for us for the year, we were bad early today though.

Ugly
Telecast - too zoomed out, at times I couldnt see the footy
Too many loopy handballs

Other
Cameron still too skittish especially when he has time and space, cant wait til he finally feels comfortable, he'll be good.
Which team had the most experience (games not age)?
Pretty even competition this year, Fremantle still likely to win, but I wouldn't be suprised if we get up either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad result for mine, all things considered. Against an in form team, away, and with all our injury troubles, I think a four goal loss is acceptable.

If we can get a few players back and improve in some areas I think we can be a fairly good side.

Well no s**t genius our midfield is built around Sloane, B.Crouch, Danger and Smith of which 75% didn't play today.

Grigg worked into the game nicely and used the ball beautifully will be a good rotation/flanker. Crouch was better after half time we aren't expecting him to dominate every week are we? The gws guys have 50 extra games over our young guys.

Our young backline is super impressive Lever, Kelly, Laird are all top notch talents.

Your negatively biased view is s**t tbh.
Exactly given the injury list both before and during the game I think the signs are fine.

To be honest, I'm not overly worried about this year all the injuries do is give Walsh an opportunity to see fringe players.

Let's be honest finishing out of the 8 won't be the end of the world this year as we have players still to cut and decent picks won't hurt.

Yeah we are a top 6 side I reckon. You noticed the injury list?

Sure have noticed it. It sucks right now, but we ain't the only club with injuries.

Lets have a look at how we are tracking against our performance in 2014 when we also had injuries.

Our record in 2015 is 5-3.

Our record against these same teams in 2014 was 9-4.

We are yet to play Sydney, Hawthorn and Fremantle.

Are we going better this year than last?

Walker
Lever
Cheney and Laird work well together
Dangerfield tried hard and took some great marks
Betts when he was actually near the ball

Bad:
sauce absolutely slaughtered in the ruck
Clearances were awful
intensity and tackling not up to standard
Unfortunately we're just too slow with crouch, Thommo, Lyons and Grigg out there. All very slow runners so it's not hard to see why they carved up through the middle so often.

GWS obviously have a scary and unfair amount of talent in their side who are now maturing into very good players. When they are on they will push and beat nearly every side. Add to that our injuries and the ones we had today and we really were on a hiding to nothing today.

He'd want to learn some defending too, because his man kicked 4 goals today
You are joking right? Did you see how easily the GWS midfielders ran through and had un-pressured kicks in to F50?
None of that is Lever's fault. If it wasn't for our defenders GWS would have kicked 30 goals today.

We need 3 drafts (preferably top 10 picks) before we are genuinely back in the game.

I said before the game I thought Jenkins deserved an opportunity to show if he had learned anything - he hasn't - I'm switching positions - replace him with a young player that will be part of next year's team.

Mumford absolutely killed Jacobs today, Jacobs needs more help than JJ gives.

Lyons is depth only.

We were massively out-classed and under-manned, and with the 3 injuries throughout the game were dealt an even harder task.

Thought Tex, Talia, Eddie, Danger were good - Thommo fought hard - CEY continues to show he has what it takes.

No panic, it is what it is.

I said before the game I thought Jenkins deserved an opportunity to show if he had learned anything - he hasn't - I'm switching positions - replace him with a young player that will be part of next year's team.

Mumford absolutely killed Jacobs today, Jacobs needs more help than JJ gives.

Lyons is depth only.

We were massively out-classed and under-manned, and with the 3 injuries throughout the game were dealt an even harder task.

Thought Tex, Talia, Eddie, Danger were good - Thommo fought hard - CEY continues to show he has what it takes.

No panic, it is what it is.

JJ provides ZERO help in the ruck. Might as well send Laird in to ruck - he will get closer to winning a tap

We were all excited about Walsh. What we have seen this year is absolutely no different to 2014.

Our first quarters are shocking. We have lost 4 first quarters this year and have lost 3 of those games. If we win the first quarter we win the game, which has happened all 4 times. Its identical to 2014.

We haven't cleaned up our entries inside 50 or our use of the ball.

8 rounds in and the only thing that Walsh has done different (and better than) Sando is play some of our younger players to see if they are AFL quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back