Independent Wrestling Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently DA reckons they put too much money into TNA and don't get enough ratings and ads out of it, so ROH is a cheaper and better option for them. My only concern with ROH being on cable TV is that their poor production value will probably be shown. Hopefully DA can put a little bit of money into ROH to try and improve those production values.

I like ROH, but the production isn't very good compared to TNA and it's awful compared to WWE.

ROH would have the Same Problems that ECW when they went on TNN?

ROH would have the Same Problems that ECW when they went on TNN?

No, ECW was paying through the arse to provide a product fit for TNN, while receiving very little money or promotion in return.

ROH are simply on-selling a product that they already produce for Sinclair tv (which is a broadcast station that i think goes to about 50m homes). From what I understand, they think DA is more popular in areas that don't get Sinclair, so they're boosting viewership for the very same show.

The potential parallels will come if DA start making demands of ROH like they did of TNA, and if ROH starts making the same old promise of better production.

Sounds like BITW was a great show, I had the main event spoiled for me when I checked Facebook but I'm still looking forward to watching it tonight.

Anyone keeping up with the G1 Climax this year?
Been 2 nights so far, with some pretty good matches.
Shibata vs Styles and Ibushi vs Tanahashi were the standouts from Night 1.
Not quite at the level of Nakamura vs Ibushi, Styles vs Okada or Zack Sabre Jr vs Strong but definitely **** matches.

It just couldn't have come at a worse time for me this year - I moved from Canberra to Melbourne 12 days ago, spent ages unpacking, started uni, hosted my brother for 5 days, and only got internet hooked up yesterday.

I was a bit bummed out, because I was really looking forward to seeing the whole thing for the price of 2 NJPW World months... I guess I could just wait til 1 August now though, because from what I've read there's about 4 matches that I really need to watch, but it's actually been a pretty slow start?

It just couldn't have come at a worse time for me this year - I moved from Canberra to Melbourne 12 days ago, spent ages unpacking, started uni, hosted my brother for 5 days, and only got internet hooked up yesterday.

I was a bit bummed out, because I was really looking forward to seeing the whole thing for the price of 2 NJPW World months... I guess I could just wait til 1 August now though, because from what I've read there's about 4 matches that I really need to watch, but it's actually been a pretty slow start?

The cards are set up a bit differently this year, so there are usually 3 or 4 tag matches before the tournament matches.
So yeah, it's a bit more of a grind to get through a whole show. Less likely for there to be a "Show of the Year" contender like previous years.

The matchups are starting to get more interesting though. Nakamura just got injured as well so that could be a favorite down.

AJ and Ibushi had the must-see match of the tournament so far, possible MOTYC.

I know they pre-announced all the main events, but I'm not sure they've announced other matches more than a few days ahead have they? (I could be wrong there - other than reading match results and reviews I haven't been able to follow it.)

I really think that Shinsuke is going to win this G1 and go on to face Okada, so it would have to be a really serious injury to knock him out. If they have to re-do the schedule a little to accommodate it, I'm sure they will.

After this week there's not much AFL that I want to attend in Melbourne, and my internet looks ok. So if I can get caught up on uni I think there's every chance that I'll sign up to NJ World for August.

I'm watching Dominion so I'm very behind.

When I saw the lineup of the G1 I was a little disappointed. Seems like a much weaker field. No Suzuki, no Shelton ...

I'll wait to see who 'officially' wins through profight before deciding whether to watch.

Shelton sucks... but I take the point. It doesn't feel like the G1 without Suzuki!

And rather than using the NOAH relationship as a reason to not book guys on the G1, shouldn't it have been the other way around? Shouldn't Suzuki, Marafuji and even Takayama have been included in the G1 as part of the NOAH storyline?

I'm watching Dominion so I'm very behind.

Oh man, that Okada vs AJ match is great. Unreal finishing stretch.

G1 hasn't been as good as the previous 2 years. Would love to have seen some NOAH guys in there (Zack Sabre Jr!), replace Yano, Takahashi, ect.

That said, Shibata and Ibushi had a classic on Night 7, I would put it equal with the Nakamura/Ibushi match from WK9. Hoping it picks up from here until the final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*sigh*

I really didn't need to bother catching up on and watching this G1. The reason I did? I was sure that Nakamura was going to win it!

But the first half was super disappointing. Even Honma, who I was SOOOO into last year, underwhelmed me this year - the win was cool, but it would've been better last year.

The matches haven't been as good, and despite the bigger gaps between shows the extra year on guys like Tenzan, Nagata and Kojima is showing.

And then tonight...

CMXt4tvWsAE-NVp.jpg:large

At least Tana gets the joke...

I fully expect he's going to win the final now, before we get Okada vs Tanahashi - again - early next year at WrestleKingdom - again.

Maybe this is when Okada finally beats him at the big show... but I'm just buggered if I care any more. They've had so many matches outside of the 4 January show, is it even relevant that Tanahashi won the previous 2 at WrestleKingdom? I know it doesn't give me any additional interest in watching Okada vs Tanahashi #496.

Watching Lucha underground.

Del Rio vs Morrison. I like these 2 guys.

Who is the Australian commentator?
Dunno but he was ####ing horrific and it would have been better to have Striker on his own. Ultima Lucha still epic though and pipped WKingdom 9 as my fav wrestling event of the year so far.

Dunno but he was ####ing horrific and it would have been better to have Striker on his own. Ultima Lucha still epic though and pipped WKingdom 9 as my fav wrestling event of the year so far.

Jesus. Really? I'd heard it was good, but not that good.

I'm only about half way through the season of LU - I really enjoyed it, but life just got in the way of being able to keep up (and strangely, having Raw on in the background while I do uni or house work is much easier than having LU on and actually having to watch it).

I might just skip to Ultima Lucha if it was that good.

Jesus. Really? I'd heard it was good, but not that good.

I'm only about half way through the season of LU - I really enjoyed it, but life just got in the way of being able to keep up (and strangely, having Raw on in the background while I do uni or house work is much easier than having LU on and actually having to watch it).

I might just skip to Ultima Lucha if it was that good.

Just my opinion but yea my fav event of the year but only just and the Aussie flog on commentary just about pegged it below. All very good matches. There were probably a couple of better individual matches from other LU episodes (PUMA v Mundo ironman) but overall the event was very well performed to me. Try watch at least the last couple of episodes before going straight to Ultima Lucha if you can as will help with why certain matches take place.

Thanks for the advice man - I've got 4 uni assignments due in the next 2 weeks, but after that I'll be looking to do nothing for a week. So I might watch the last 6 or so eps before the finale then.

Quite looking forward to it now actually!

I won't go in with crazy high expectations, because I thought WK9 was the best wrestling show I've ever seen. But your recommendation along with a couple of others is making it sound like a day well spent when I get around to it!

(Hopefully I get to watch it before the new FIFA is out - I'm getting a PS4 as soon as I can get a FIFA bundle, and between that the end of the uni semester I'm NO chance of watching wrestling for about a month I reckon :p)

Had no idea this happened a couple of weeks ago. Epic.

Really? That show was shown on regular PPV into the US.

The reason I'm surprised you hadn't heard of it is because the broadcast was a widely-publicised disaster, and likely turned off any new AAA viewers who stumped up the cash to give something different a chance.

Really? That show was shown on regular PPV into the US.

The reason I'm surprised you hadn't heard of it is because the broadcast was a widely-publicised disaster, and likely turned off any new AAA viewers who stumped up the cash to give something different a chance.

I haven't really had the chance to sit down and watch a whole lot of wrestling over the last couple of months. I generally stay away from wrestling "newz" as well, because I find it ruins my enjoyment of the product a lot of the time.

Might try and watch the whole card though, because I enjoyed that match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back