News Richmond to wear Dreamtime jumper in support of Adam Goodes [Keep it here]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff by all involved at the richmond footy club. It really shows the great leadership we have at the club. Exciting times to be a tiger. I'd love to see a win on Friday night, sick of hearing about how good the Hawks are. Eat em alive!

Anyway this is long past why Goodes is being booed. This is now about the hate he is receiving has taken enough of a mental toll to make have to take leave. Surely thats the point when people realize that its time to stop. If not for Goodes then for one of the dozens of players, coaches or officials that have asked the 'supporters' to stop. Surely there's one in there you respect enough to listen to.
Correct. This is exactly why it should stop. Mental health is a serious issue too.

proud of this great club dimma,Brendan and the boys lead the way on issues like this. the indigenous centre at punt road all the work bachar does. clubs best decision in 30 years was appointing benny gale smart bloke and a tigers man

massive can of worms has been opened here, i remember goodes had a shot for goal years ago after the final siren..... what the hell happens if it happens again on grand final day.... surely the crowd and the players would consider a few sneaky booooooooooooooos to put him off and what the hell would/could the umps or afl do about it.... 50 metre penalty, another player taking the kick, a brawl.... the mind boggles and now i have got a headache trying to comprehend the reprecussions and the aftermarth

Watching on TV this years North Melbourne vs Collingwood game, Lyndsey Thomas did his usual dive to win a free kick which resulted in a goal. It was pretty blatant cheating and Collingwood fans were justifying for booing him for the rest of the game. I doubt if that would be remembered in the next clash with the same level of vitriol, unless the incident had cost the pies the win.

It is simply wrong that Goodsy gets booed every week (even if he does stage for frees). It is victimisation and as Dr Mike has pointed out with elements of racism. It's great that the club has taken a lead on this issue and it's a fantastic gesture for the players to wear the dream time jersey. Don't worry the players will be steeled after last week's loss and if anything the support for Adam Goodes will gel them together more.

massive can of worms has been opened here, i remember goodes had a shot for goal years ago after the final siren..... what the hell happens if it happens again on grand final day.... surely the crowd and the players would consider a few sneaky booooooooooooooos to put him off and what the hell would/could the umps or afl do about it.... 50 metre penalty, another player taking the kick, a brawl.... the mind boggles and now i have got a headache trying to comprehend the reprecussions and the aftermarth
The Swans form will need to pick up to make the Grand Final and for Goodsy to have a chance to be a hero. Very unlikely.

There is nothing wrong with booing a player if he deserves it. It's a great part of footy for the crowd to get passionate and us Richmond supporters are the most passionate fans IMO. We normally direct our angst at the umpies (especially last week), at opposition players who have wronged us in the past or during the game and sometimes at our own players (which I don't agree with). What's happening to Adam Goodes however is victimisation, No place for that in the game.

Those saying its an over reaction clearly have no idea. The bloke has taken leave from the game due to the stress it has caused him and his family. Call him a sook fine. But make sure you completely understand the nuts and the bolts of it all. This is obviously a bigger issue then any of us can possibly fathom and i was proud of our footy club for being the 1st to publicly make a stand.
You cant compare what has happened to others as this on this scale is unprecedented

Overreaction.

Premier Daniel Andrews wants it banned but only for indigenous players.

Yeah, let's treat people differently depending on their race....Wait, isn't there a word for that? :rolleyes:

Didn't Jake King used to get booed a lot by opposition fans? Pretty sure that wasn't racist... I suppose people are only capable of deciding someone is an unsportsmanlike thug if they're white?

Also, now that he's let everyone know it affects him, it's bound to continue....What fan doesn't want to put a guy off his game (regardless of their race)? What next, complete silence when he kicks for goal in case it disturbs him? No bronx cheers if he misses?

Last edited:
Can we see it getting to a point where booing is banned?
It's all very grey.

If you boo you will probably be ejected, the world has gone mad.

FWIW I don't believe the booing is racist, the guy is a bit of "all about me" but certainly not racist., If it was racist the other 70 odd player of indigenous descent and the others non white Australian players would get booed too,

When the crowd boos Jack or Ty or the umpires it cant be construed as racist.
Our supporters were boing the umpires virtually all game last Saturday.

When the Essendrugs crowd were booing Ryder was that racist?

I will get flamed for this and called all sorts of things, we had a thread on goodes a while back and the majority believed he was a prima donna then, what has changed in this PC world?

Flobbo and the left winger whitely have gotten on their soap boxes thats all.

Goodes is trying to keep himself relevant at the end of a career that has had some highs and some self inflicted lows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've booed Goodes just as I've booed Watson Judd Pavlich Akermanis Matt White Selwood Cox Cloke & so on and I've even booed Richmond.

The reason I do it is because they are either tearing us a new one, staging for frees or have done something dirty in the game or previously against us.

That is not racism it's being passionate about the way you support the club and I dislike how media commentators are labeling anyone who boos Goodes as being racist. That would be like me saying all of the are know nothing flogs, when it's only a minority that fit that description.

He gets booed because he reported that Collingwood chick and he stands up for his race and became Australian of the year for what he's done. So it's obviously racist imo.
I applaud him for reporting her and I don't boo him because of that. I boo him because of his staging and dirty play.

He is boo'd because he has engaged the crowd his whole career including running past cheer squads with his hand to his ear . He is cooked, his reaction to being made sub at the start of the year was a clear indicator to me that he wasn't going to bow out of the game with little to no fuss and rightfully be remembered for the player he was . He wa going to go out of the game blaming someone else .
He has high jacked a week when the heat should have been upon the umpires for there s**t performance and now RFC buying into it and insinuating its own supporters who have boo'd him as racist .
I would expect the umpires provide all RFC players the same gifting of free kicks as Goodes has received over his career as this has the potential of highjacking our season .
We don't need the spotlight this week , a week were we must perform to maintain a strong chance of playing finals .
The club has done well under benny's leadership of avoiding the limelight in s**t circumstances this is a bad move IMO .

Last edited:
He gets booed because he reported that Collingwood chick and he stands up for his race and became Australian of the year for what he's done. So it's obviously racist imo.

Im sorry to offend you mad but in his AOTY he labelled, you me and every other NON indigenous Australian as racist, IMO that is a racist remark by Mr goodes,

I use the word NON indigenous because he didn't single out any ethnic croup just skin colour.

And before you go off im a not White Australian as he puts it I of southern European birth, and I live and work in a predominately black ( if I can use that word) country and have done so fo a considerable time, I don't consider myself racist in any shape or form, however I have been labelled that due to my opinions on this matter by the PC left wingers.

He is boo'd because he has engaged the crowd his whole career including running past cheer squads with his hand to his ear . He is cooked, his reaction to being made sub at the start of the year was a clear indicator to me that he wasn't going to bow out of the game with little to no fuss and rightfully be remembered for the player he was .

Absolutely correct, they are booing the man not the colour.

I'm not worried about me. I'm not going to boo him, just trying to see the logic behind it being racist. I can boo him till my hearts content and not worry about it being racist seems we are the same race ;)

Reality is this will be the start of the end of players being booed at the footy

It starts with Goodes, and not too far away any other player how gets booed will have the same questions asked

This argument that people should be prevented from doing something because a minority do it for wrong reasons opens a very wide precident

Does it say in the article that we will wear our 'home' indigenous jumper, and Hawks wear their 'away' jumpers?
The Hawks wearing their away (darker) jumpers would be stupid, but who knows. It's their home game so you'd assume they'll be in their home (lighter) jumpers.

Self inflicted wounds Adam Goodes
Time to move on and start a political career
Champion player ,but has become his own worse enemy by demanding self attention to promote his agenda and brand
Moments like these where a player thinks he's bigger than the game gives me more leverage to not bother attending afl games
If Goodes was such a Puritan why did he bother ducking and staging for frees?
why did he also incite a depressed and demoralized Carlton crowd with a war dance if he believes in people to keep their views to themselves on race?He said it was spontaneous behaviour on the night,but the next day after media eruption he lied by saying he and Jetta planned it earlier in the week.FMD what a fool.
Asking people to restrict their emotions in a an emotional game is complete and utter bs
The football world is educated on racism .but like all things there is always the verbal ignorant minority you can never convince with no matter how much education
Club should have stayed out imo as Goodes has more than a booing issue if he cannot handle this. A bit of advice Adam please walk away and leave the game alone as I'm sure the majority of booing is done in context and spirit of the game

Last edited:
Im sorry to offend you mad but in his AOTY he labelled, you me and every other NON indigenous Australian as racist, IMO that is a racist remark by Mr goodes,
I'm not trying to start/get involved in this debate here I swear. But sorry, where did he do that exactly?

But theyre saying its racist to boo Adam Goodes. I'm just wondering if its racist if he's kicking for goal ala Pavlich on Saturday who was booed when kicking for goal in the last OR is it only racist on some occasions to boo?

Clearly booing pavlich was racist he is not WASP Australian, where is the indignation there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back