Opinion George Horlin-Smith - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
First season he plays three games. Subbed on in one game, subbed off in another game.

Second season, eight games. Subbed on in two games, not subbed off in any other game.

Third season, breakout year. Twenty one games, subbed on twice, subbed off in three other games.
(Averaged 17 disposals, 71% DE, 3 clearances, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals & 0.4 assists)

Fourth season, six games. Subbed on in two games, not subbed off in any other game.
(Averaging 18 disposals, 74% DE, 2.8 clearances, 4.5 tackles, 0.2 goals & 0.8 assists)

• In 2015, George has played 9 VFL games averaging 24 disposals, 6 tackles, 0.3 goals and featured among the best on the ground in seven of those games.

Having put pen to paper for three years this season, George is now 22 years of age and played 38 games. How can he become a consistent footballer at the top level if he is continually getting dropped or subbed into games?
Is he not fit enough?
Is he too slow?
Why sign him up for three years if these issues are already known?

personally, i like the guy a lot. hope he gets a solid run next year, and by the start of 2017 i think he will be picked weekly. there was a fair bit of media buzz around him last year, maybe just in adelaide, as a future captain.

very composed player and uses the ball well, in my opinion.

Played a good game last week, we were badly beaten at stoppages and lose an inside mid in Caddy and he's the first one out. I don't like it.
Yeah, I don't like it either. Was one of the best against Hawthorn, too. Would rather see Kelly shift to the backline and Bews get another run in the VFL, or Jimmy play forward and Gregson given a rest.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Was one of the best against Hawthorn, too. Would rather see Kelly shift to the backline and Bews get another run in the VFL, or Jimmy play forward and Gregson given a rest.
The latter would be my preference.

I think he'll be a consistent senior footballer next year.
It seemed like he battled injuries all through pre-season, and again in the middle part of the season.

I'd have liked him to play this week also, but I can see why he isn't. (I'd have played him before Kelly)
If you can't put pressure on the opposition when they have ball in hand, you need to be a major offensive weapon, and he hasn't been that this year.

I think we'll see a much more rounded player in 2016.

Can anyone recall what kind of pre season he had? Am I right in thinking he struggled towards the end of the year last year (with a back?) and didn't he miss a couple of NAB Cup games early this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on the fence with him, just don't see him become anything more then a depth player for us and I don't see anything special about him. If he can't break into the side with how weak our midfield is then I can't see him become a good player for us long term.

Can anyone recall what kind of pre season he had? Am I right in thinking he struggled towards the end of the year last year (with a back?) and didn't he miss a couple of NAB Cup games early this year?
Interrupted. It is likely a factor for him now.

I'm on the fence with him, just don't see him become anything more then a depth player for us and I don't see anything special about him. If he can't break into the side with how weak our midfield is then I can't see him become a good player for us long term.
I'm a fan of his inside work and footy nous but I think yours is a reasonable view. We are getting caned at stoppages but we seem so reluctant to give him an extended go. It just begs the question for me - if he isn't front and square in their plans why a 3-year deal?

I'm a fan of his inside work and footy nous but I think yours is a reasonable view. We are getting caned at stoppages but we seem so reluctant to give him an extended go. It just begs the question for me - if he isn't front and square in their plans why a 3-year deal?
I see him as a Sam Mitchell-esque type of player, but not as well-rounded (literally or otherwise), or thankfully half as dirty. Like Mitchell, it's taking a while for his abilities to actually be recognised.

I don't want to sound harsh, but I wonder if we signed him as a "just in case". Just in case we don't land Danger and or Scott and we need him to then play for us? Because if we do land both of them then he is really far down the pecking order and I can't justify a 3 year deal.

G H-S reminds me of Diesel Williams, good inside player. Would be handy in the cold wet days of winter, but to be honest, I cant think of another AFL player he could run down. I love the cats and watch the games several times (yes I'm retired and should get a life) but players just run away from George once the ball is on the outside. Having said that I hope he has a huge pre-season and returns fitter than ever.

I don't want to sound harsh, but I wonder if we signed him as a "just in case". Just in case we don't land Danger and or Scott and we need him to then play for us? Because if we do land both of them then he is really far down the pecking order and I can't justify a 3 year deal.

Insurance and he came cheap.
If we get those players then we can keep him for depth cheaply or look to trade, him and Smedts cost us nothing other than list spots but this year we actually need to keep players since we are losing so many.

Interrupted. It is likely a factor for him now.
Yes yes and yes!!
Thank you Bobby_ for starting this thread- was about to do it early this morning but had to do the school run. I even have half a post sitting somewhere in the preview thread that I haven't posted but it's pretty much along the lines above.

Just quickly, because I'm on the way out- a couple of articles I was going to attach to my post:

Mid 2014- got a knock to his back, missed a game, played several games as sub or being subbed.

Aug 2014- groin soreness forced him to miss a game

June 11
GEELONG has received positive news on the injury front, with midfielder George Horlin-Smith cleared of structural damage to his knee.

Horlin-Smith hyper-extended his knee in the first half of last Saturday night's VFL curtain-raiser between Geelong and Essendon.

However, Geelong football manager Steve Hocking confirmed to AFL.com.au on Thursday that scans on the midfielder's knee had come back clear.

The Cats expect Horlin-Smith to play against North Ballarat at Simonds Stadium on Saturday.
It has been a frustrating year for Horlin-Smith, who has been limited to just three senior games because of ongoing hip issues that first flared up in the pre-season.

"He's having a really tough run, George," coach Chris Scott said at his press conference on Tuesday.

"George has been symbolic of the players who have been in and out of our team this year. He hasn't been doing a whole lot wrong, it's just a series of unfortunate events that have limited his output."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-11/cats-relief-horlinsmith-cleared-of-structural-damage

AUG 5th
Coach Chris Scott has repeatedly said Horlin-Smith is a player who thrives on continuity. Injuries robbed him of that early in the year but he now has five VFL matches under his belt, giving Scott a serious selection decision to contemplate.

“I’ve been able to play a bit of footy consecutively now, but injuries, they’re a part of footy and we’ve got a great fitness team and a lot of guys who have been through up-and-down seasons,” he said.

“So for me, it’s just about getting back and playing consistent footy.”

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...nates-in-the-vfl/story-fnjuhrxq-1227468275259

I'm absolutely sure we've had all these arguments about GHS before and I've pulled up the earlier article from May. Some people just prefer to ignore the facts and enjoy finding someone to blame for our losses.

We have a large group of mid-sized players who are close to retirement that are holding him out, when Johnson, Enright, Bartel, Kelly and Stokes are gone there will be a lot more spots open for players coming through and it's better to have a few players who aren't 18-20 year olds who are ready to step up.
There could easily be a reshuffle when the above players retire that might move some of the 22-24 year olds who are currently apart of our midfield rotation to the forward-line and defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back