Breakaway Random Discussion - Warnock, Jacobs, Daisy, Historical List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Your BF Join date May 2012
Recruitment date October 2008
Now if you go backand read what I wrote- I said ".....even before joining BF.....)

Warnock was a dud from the get go - use all the 'stats' you like - Warnock does not and never did impact on a game of football as a footballer - was obvious from the beginning...

anyway ..I agree to disagree - you can hold the flag up for the Club was not wrong with Warnock...( seriously can't understand your stance on this...)*

* and just to be clear - I think I go strong on the Warnock issue ...probably because Robbie is a symbol of the past - for a Club wih the football winning tradition of Carlton - how did we get to the state we got to??

that is what rankles...really rankles...ok so Maybe Warnock just didnt keep developing as you say - and Jacobs developed a lot more than anyone could have predicted..

so many fail players we have invested in so many years and dollars in...so much lost and wasted and given away opportunity..over so many years..

it rankles.

Now if you go backand read what I wrote- I said ".....even before joining BF.....)

Warnock was a dud from the get go - use all the 'stats' you like - Warnock does not and never did impact on a game of football as a footballer - was obvious from the beginning...

anyway ..I agree to disagree - you can hold the flag up for the Club was not wrong with Warnock...( seriously can't understand your stance on this...)*

* and just to be clear - I think I go strong on the Warnock issue ...probably because Robbie is a symbol of the past - for a Club wih the football winning tradition of Carlton - how did we get to the state we got to??

that is what rankles...really rankles...ok so Maybe Warnock just didnt keep developing as you say - and Jacobs developed a lot more than anyone could have predicted..

so many fail players we have invested in so many years and dollars in...so much lost and wasted and given away opportunity..over so many years..

it rankles.

Sorry JaB, you telling me you thought Warnock was a dud to shout me down in a discussion doesn't cut it if I can't verify it. You can't get credits for being right if you weren't right here.

I said the club over compensated by getting 4 ruckmen although I understand their logic.

I just said the decision as to who was number 1 ruck wasn't settled by the time Jacobs wanted out and he would have wanted out regardless unless we traded out another contracted ruckman who hadn't asked to leave.

I provided board links and statistical arguments to support my contentions, not just frustrated observations.

Can't do much more than that. Not going to blame the club for a player wanting to go home.

Last edited:

So many ******* recruiting experts & not one of them employed by an AFL club, but they all seem to own De Loreans.
Everyone seems to have their own favourite whipping boy for why exactly the club got itself in this state. Also a lot of experts about boardrooms not currently overseeing the shareholders interests of major public companies.

Reckon you'd have to be nearly on your last legs to call MSR son.

He is ok - I get his angst over criticism of anything Blue- it is the type of supporter every Club needs - no different to you really - you just dress it up with a concoction of rationale that suits your position - mostly logical and at least presenting a rationale that can be addressed via typage.

However previous Carlton was being run by a cabal of mini empires - overseen by short sighted nuff nuffs - and we are where we are. Every organisation irrespective of industry/business/game - is the same and faces the same issues. Football Clubs are a decent sized small business these days- and they need to be overseen by a more corporate process.

Getting genuine passionate Club men in - who are also capable corporate people who also have the time to see things through - that is the challenge for all Clubs. Those that get the mix right - have the luxury of seeing the right processes and the right people in place and have the time to get the structural long term elements in place - and enjoy more rather than less success.

He is ok - I get his angst over criticism of anything Blue- it is the type of supporter every Club needs - no different to you really - you just dress it up with a concoction of rationale that suits your position - mostly logical and at least presenting a rationale that can be addressed via typage.

However previous Carlton was being run by a cabal of mini empires - overseen by short sighted nuff nuffs - and we are where we are. Every organisation irrespective of industry/business/game - is the same and faces the same issues. Football Clubs are a decent sized small business these days- and they need to be overseen by a more corporate process.

Getting genuine passionate Club men in - who are also capable corporate people who also have the time to see things through - that is the challenge for all Clubs. Those that get the mix right - have the luxury of seeing the right processes and the right people in place and have the time to get the structural long term elements in place - and enjoy more rather than less success.

Exactly what and who was preventing the previous leadership from executing sound long term decision making is guesswork from where we sit. We seem to be making the right decisions now, so it is probably a case of buckle in for the ground up build again, this time done in the right way. Hopefully there is an injection of fresh thought at board level somewhere along the line.

Exactly what and who was preventing the previous leadership from executing sound long term decision making is guesswork from where we sit. We seem to be making the right decisions now, so it is probably a case of buckle in for the ground up build again, this time done in the right way. Hopefully there is an injection of fresh thought at board level somewhere along the line.

President and CEO run things. At the end of the day the people they choose to delegate managerial responsibility to - deliver or don't. If the President and CEO decide to be short term (for example)you get short termism creeping through whole organisation. Where and why the CLub invests its resources - is what determines longer term outcomes. The where and why and who and how -that is what it is all about.

Pretty obvious that the Club in the past has been run in a less than optimal fashion - across to many departments and too many silos.

So many ******* recruiting experts & not one of them employed by an AFL club, but they all seem to own De Loreans.
LOL ^ That's pretty good! However, I stand by my comments. Some decisions in the past were just plain face-palmer's where the club clearly got it wrong.
Eddie Betts, Taking Kane Lucas instead of Talia was always a howler, especially when we were lacking a quality defender and had an overstock of mids at the time, and as an added risk with Lucas, even if he had worked out there was always the 'Go-HomeFactor', whereas Talia WANTED to come to the blues. I would even argue that letting Goose Maqguire slip through to the lions was poor and he could have played a role for us.

Less than 3 weeks to go... Geez I feel old.

iw6irvhufeihtqtgdyd5.jpg

Did anyone read the article about Mick & Daisy attending the West Coast function after grand final ? Surely sackable....... ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So... any word on Warnock apart form the vague suggestion that he is going to retire after the trade period?

Surely thats an indicator that the club had planned to delist him and he, knowing the limits of his skill around the game and the way that the game has evolved, has decided to toss in the towel and retire rather than try and face the ignominy of getting rejected if he puts his name out and about as a delisted free agent or goes into the ND.

Daisy still isn't a write off folks, he looked great in the NAB Challenge and the first quarter and a bit against Richmond before his unfortunate injury.

Deserves a change of luck, still hopeful we can get 60 -80 games (maybe more) out of him. He's still young enough in AFL years.

Daisy still isn't a write off folks, he looked great in the NAB Challenge and the first quarter and a bit against Richmond before his unfortunate injury.

Deserves a change of luck, still hopeful we can get 60 -80 games (maybe more) out of him. He's still young enough in AFL years.

Injured in the first minute of play of the first quarter in round 1. No quarter and a bit. 1 kick, 1% of game time.

Injured in the first minute of play of the first quarter in round 1. No quarter and a bit. 1 kick, 1% of game time.

Fine, memory's playing tricks on me, but I maintain he was looking good in the NAB Challenge. We've got him on the books for another 3 years anyway, he's not exactly received a warm welcome from Carlton fans has he (least not this forum)

He strikes me as out new scapegoat. And FYI, I am convinced Eddie would have left regardless if we signed Daisy, we had the SC space to sign both.

we should just get the 15 billion or whatever the rest of his contract is out in cash, put it in a duffle bag, get Dasiy in the back of a car and drive out to the country, find a nice paddock, give Dasiy the bag, get him out of the car and let him run off through the paddock and into the wild. Then we should never talk of him again.

Fine, memory's playing tricks on me, but I maintain he was looking good in the NAB Challenge.

Not bagging him and he does need an injury free run at it. Has the talent.

However, he played one NAB Challenge match only this year, wasn't named in our bests and went okay, nothing special.

nabchallenge2015vcats.JPG

I was in the car and missed the entirety of Daisy's season. He is due some luck surely- it would be nice for him to be remembered a bit more fondly by the club than his old kick to kick partner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back