2016 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Cont. in Part 2 (link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:p

Why ?

If i get home sick playing professional golf .......i can stay in my home state and earn a great income .....if you want to live in your car ......and at least you can be near the parents

If i play Professional Tennis, athletics .....same

And God Forbid i want to play the Worlds Game .......well as long as your comfortable playing in the A-League

But AFL footy is the only sport where the more successful you are, the more homesick you become :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Strangely if you're heading for delisting ......you don't get homesick

If you're in contract .....IMO you should be tradeable to any club
I disagree. I think the AFL should take responsibility for implementing a recruitment strategy that was wholly based upon a model that succeeds in an entirely different culture.

The various drafts in US pro sports are almost an extension of the college system anyway, whereby kids up and leave as a matter of course. It's ingrained through generations with families split the length and breadth of the country.

We have a regional culture, people don't go to uni interstate as a matter of course, families stay in the same region for work generally speaking.

I can only assume that Auskick run at a local footy club would be run better, however having done MILO cricket at a local cricket club and seeing how useless that was, I'm not so sure.
Which cricket club just out of interest?

So whilst every club, bar Collingwood and Essendon have to have alternate guernseys predominately white ........AFL still plays favorites

Essendons new clash guernsey ......complete with Goddard and his horns

Essendon plays Adelaide .........guess who'll have to wear alternate Gold guernsey at Adelaide oval

View attachment 214520

Round 19, July 31st - which Guernsey are we wearing?

Disagree 100%.

In my opinion Soccer is the best game to watch live. Pitches are a great size and you sit close enough to the action to feel part of it, but can see the entire picture. It has a flow to it. After spending a massive amount of time every 2 years watching the European Cup and World Cup - its always hard going back to AFL. It is just such an unattractive game to watch - very similar to watching 5 year olds play soccer.

The fact that the NFL,NBA,EPL and NHL are far superior with their game day experiences doesn't diminish the quality of watching these sporting events live.

Soccer is terrible live. It's about the singing.

Disagree here.

Go to a Barca v Real Madrid game. OSU v UofM game. Bears V Packers. Duke V NC College Hoop game.

Those rivalries all put the showdown to shame.

Actually they are all the same. The intensity, the feeling and the anticipation and the will to beat your opponent is the same. What you are falling for is media hype due to the coverage they get. I don't get the constant will to put AFL down in comparison to the big name sports around the world.

So whilst every club, bar Collingwood and Essendon have to have alternate guernseys predominately white ........AFL still plays favorites

Essendons new clash guernsey ......complete with Goddard and his horns

Essendon plays Adelaide .........guess who'll have to wear alternate Gold guernsey at Adelaide oval

View attachment 214520
Isn't this the heritage design?

<EDIT> from this article :

ESSENDON champion Tim Watson is honoured on the club’s 2016 heritage guernsey, a very red departure from the old grey clash strip.

The Bombers have ditched the grey jumper in favour of the double-red guernsey.

It will be worn four times this season, against Port Adelaide in Round 3, St Kilda in Round 9, Fremantle in Round 11 and Richmond in Round 17.

Essendon fans voted for triple premiership star Watson to feature, with the inside neck hosting an image of the him playing at Windy Hill while Watson’s signature and career achievements adorn the front left shoulder.

The jumper also bears the names of every Essendon premiership player.

Essendon said the jumper would be worn for clash games for the next two seasons.​

So it's both?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually they are all the same. The intensity, the feeling and the anticipation and the will to beat your opponent is the same. What you are falling for is media hype due to the coverage they get. I don't get the constant will to put AFL down in comparison to the big name sports around the world.
Actually I disagree. When traveling in the US at least their sports fans are considerably more mad than we are. It's not that we aren't passionate, they just take it to another level.

Which cricket club just out of interest?

Feel a bit bad naming the club. I gather their actual junior cricket program from under 9's up is very good. I also know that the club my son plays at has also run really ordinary MILO cricket programs.
Our experience with MILO cricket was the club got one of their older teen aged players to run the program so no older than about 17. He didn't really have much of a clue on how to relate to / teach 5 year old kids. He also had his own sporting commitments on the same day so if his basketball game clashed with MILO cricket, the session was cancelled and not rescheduled.
We had one session where a guy came from the SACA to run the program for the day. This guy was experienced, great with the kids and was really good. The problem with so many of these programs - MILO cricket / Auskick etc is that they rely on volunteers to run them and they don't all have the ability to do it. Managing and teaching a group of 5/6 year old kids takes a lot of skill and patience and really takes a lot of experience to do it well. I teach groups of kids at karate and it does take a good year or 2 of doing it regularly to really get a handle on how to do it and feel comfortable doing it. Trying to get a balance between keeping it fun, keeping them interested whilst at the same time actually teaching them skills is not always easy! Yet we expect parents who may have no experience doing it to step in and do a great job.

Sure. You can't turn on the news without being inundated with the hype of the next Der Klassiker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back