Liberal Party factional activities

Remove this Banner Ad

SJW's are NOT progressives, they are regressives. And they are fiercley opposed and attacked by other, more traditional liberals.

The sarcasm metre is turned fully up when I use the word progressive (hence use of ""). It's like idiot Americans calling themselves liberal when they are nothing of the sort.

How many factions are there? Four? Five? One senior operator splits the difference. “Let’s say four-and-a-half:
1) the moderates;
2) the centre right, led by Alex Hawke;
The hard right split between
3) the 'realistic hard right', led by Dominic Perrottet and Anthony Roberts, and
4) the 'terrorist hard right', so extreme they are prepared to tear the house down;​
5) then there is a small but vocal group led by Jai Rowell and Matthew Mason-Cox, who recently defected from the hard right to align themselves with the moderates.” (Ed: such a move seems motivated by concerns about electability, so maybe we call them the 'Baird Beards'?)
This explains so much. Howard's dog-whistling to the Pauline Hanson crowd has left half the Liberals fighting over who can be most right-wing. That in turn has left them so intellectually skint that they have to dress up undergraduate-level polemicists as "Social Justice Warriors" and pretend that "the left" is engaged in a giant conspiracy to politically correct global warming right into their beds/empty pockets/off-shore accounts.

The odd thing is that this happened, like with George W Bush, while the right-wing were in government. i.e. They had the power to enact policy and do things to get themselves re-elected, but instead they relied on old-fashioned fear-mongering.

if the Liberal Party could only ditch the social conservatives and far-right extremists from their ranks they'd be the party of government for the next generation.

The social conservatives in the Liberal Party really are not representative of Australia anymore. I mean something like 7 in 10 Australians now support gay marriage for instance and the amount of people that go to church even semi regularly is at all time lows.

Last edited:

This explains so much. Howard's dog-whistling to the Pauline Hanson crowd has left half the Liberals fighting over who can be most right-wing.

Yeah sure Ratts. Where all these right wing economic ideas? Who is calling for a flat tax, scrapping pro union legislation, getting rid of unfair dismissal, culling tens of thousands of public servants?

They even gave up on 18c.

Hardly right wing. Pathetic. If it wasn't for scrapping the mining and carbon taxes you would say they were almost as bad as the last lot.

Yeah sure Ratts. Where all these right wing economic ideas? Who is calling for a flat tax, scrapping pro union legislation, getting rid of unfair dismissal, culling tens of thousands of public servants?

They even gave up on 18c.

Hardly right wing. Pathetic. If it wasn't for scrapping the mining and carbon taxes you would say they were almost as bad as the last lot.

Why are you talking about right wing economics when the context was clearley social?

The sarcasm metre is turned fully up when I use the word progressive (hence use of ""). It's like idiot Americans calling themselves liberal when they are nothing of the sort.

I would say fair enough, but the context of your original comment implied that the more 'libertarian' elements of the liberal party would somehow allign with the SJW regressive agenda, and be rejected for it.

Why are you talking about right wing economics when the context was clearley social?

Well that's probably fair enough given the poster in question shows monumental ignorance in all matters economic.

However they did mention the carbon tax.

I would say fair enough, but the context of your original comment implied that the more 'libertarian' elements of the liberal party would somehow allign with the SJW regressive agenda, and be rejected for it.

I wouldn't call people like David Cameron libertarian far from it. Libertarians would agree on stuff all with SJW types ex maybe some anti terror stuff and drug liberalisation.

The social conservatives in the Liberal Party really are not representative of Australia anymore. I mean something like 7 in 10 Australians now support gay marriage for instance and the amount of people that go to church even semi regularly is at all time lows.

Does 30% of the population seem like a good number for a major political party to ditch?

Does 30% of the population seem like a good number for a major political party to ditch?
Depends on the policy, maybe they will win next time around.
Don't see them ditching or the 30% leaving because of legalising gay marriage. Bit extreme?

When that 30% is seriously out of touch with the other 70% it's a serious problem for them, the Turnbull/Abbott stoush is just as much about the future direction of the Libs as it is who is the PM, and like the previous government one side is more than prepared to undermine the other in order to achieve their ends. Although I would argue the Rudd/Gillard rivalry was more about naked power than any real ideological schism.

Also, the 30% figure is suspect. A poll, commissioned by Australian Marriage Equality found that 72% are in favour of same-sex marriage. However, a poll conducted by the Australian Christian Lobby found that only 45% of people thought the Marriage Act should be changed.

A poll found that 76% of Liberal voters are in favour of the plebiscite. It was an Abbott idea and supported by Turnbull. It is wishful thinking by the usual muppets that there will be a split in the party on this issue.

Also, the 30% figure is suspect. A poll, commissioned by Australian Marriage Equality found that 72% are in favour of same-sex marriage. However, a poll conducted by the Australian Christian Lobby found that only 45% of people thought the Marriage Act should be changed.

A poll found that 76% of Liberal voters are in favour of the plebiscite. It was an Abbott idea and supported by Turnbull. It is wishful thinking by the usual muppets that there will be a split in the party on this issue.

The trouble with the plebiscite is that it is a costly exercise. The simplest solution has always been just introducing legislation into the parliament and having a full conscience vote.

The split will be more general, god-botherers and secularists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if that question pointed out that the Marriage Act had only been changed in 2004 by John Howard to make it specifically relate to a man and a woman? Anyway, Coldplay told Superbowl viewers to "believe in love" so I think it's pretty safe to say it's gone mainstream...

Look, regarding same sex marriage, I think the parliament should be able to deal with it, and it will surely one day happen.

However, parliament has not been able to do with it, and those in parliament who are opposed to it happened are elected on a suite of other policy positions other than those on SSM. The plebiscite may move those in parliament, like (according to his own comments) Tony Abbott, to either support SSM legislation or at the very least not oppose it.

I agree that it is a rather expensive way to do it, but it would surely affect more lives than moving to a Republic, and it a human rights issue.

The real problem with the plebiscite option on SSM is it will almost certainly bring out the worst in public debate, some of which will probably come from areas like the hard-right cabal of the NSW Liberal Party.

This thread will do.

Another senior liberal leader (not at the Federal level) will announce he is stepping down from his front bench role & heading to the back bench on Sunday 14.02.16

Im curious as to where the Liberals can find all these devout practicing Christians who have no empathy for poor people yet tonnes of empathy for rich people and corporations?

There from all over yet drawn like moths to a flame
Sco Mo is a NSWelshman, Abetz is a Tasmanian
Why dont the Liberals attract normal Christians ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back