2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only logical conclusion you can come to regarding our secrecy is we are developing a new type of defensive strategy (a new type of zone/cluster/web) and don't want to expose it until the very last minute.
This seems logical and ties in with Lever's comment that it won't be exactly like the Web but we're working on something in that vain

Only replays.

But if you use a VPN, this is a great option http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

The Nab Challenge is free to watch, for the whole season it's about $170.

You can get a VPN free for 1 week to trial the whole setup here https://www.unblock-us.com/

It's about $5-6 a month thereafter.

$170 is a lot in comparison to getting Foxtel for ~$300 for the season plus in addition getting soccer and cricket if you follow those sports. While I dont watch much else you also get a s**t load of junk channels which some may be to your liking as well. Mind you the National Geographic channels and the top drama channels are fairly decent.

Whatever it is it's going to be a secret for about 10 minutes.

Probably wont be implemented for the entire NAB, maybe in some quarters I would think. I would think keeping the element of surprise for R1 would be massive.:cool:

I could be entirely wrong and the coach may want to practice the gameplan as much as possible during the NAB.:confused:

$170 is a lot in comparison to getting Foxtel for ~$300 for the season plus in addition getting soccer and cricket if you follow those sports. While I dont watch much else you also get a s**t load of junk channels which some may be to your liking as well. Mind you the National Geographic channels and the top drama channels are fairly decent.

Sky news is great when the shits hitting the fan in Canberra.

Probably wont be implemented for the entire NAB, maybe in some quarters I would think. I would think keeping the element of surprise for R1 would be massive.:cool:

I could be entirely wrong and the coach may want to practice the gameplan as much as possible during the NAB.:confused:

The element of surprise can only be worth 4 points. I presume it'll be deployed to some extent in the NAB, but perhaps with the mix of players not very effectively.

The element of surprise can only be worth 4 points. I presume it'll be deployed to some extent in the NAB, but perhaps with the mix of players not very effectively.

With that said, the Eagles web wasnt dissected and analyzed till much later in the season, Im sure there will be some variation of it implemented.

The element of surprise for the Eagles lasted a long while and took them to a GF appearance. I think the biggest problem for our Club is having the right quality of players to be able to implement a strict game plan. I guess time will tell.

The one big gripe I have about pre season is that every Club looks magnificent and is on track to do well. I expect us to win all 3 of our NAB games to be honest, not because we are far superior to the opposition, but rather I can see the Eagles and Freo fielding soft teams.

Our first genuine big test is in R1.

Whatever it is it's going to be a secret for about 10 minutes.

It's not necessarily game plan related. It could be training technique related, or even equipment related. The sports scientists and fitness teams at AFL clubs are now on big bucks and their intellectual property is what helps them make a name for themselves. Keeping training locked down allows the staff to also keep their intellectual property hidden from competitors. For example say they worked out the players can gain an extra 20% fitness if they train for 20mins then do a handstand, or if they coat the balls in vaseline it improves the players skill when they get a non-vas ball. They want to keep the technique that gives them an advantage secret for as long as possible, otherwise it's not an advantage. It doesn't have to be related to game day strategy.

With that said, the Eagles web wasnt dissected and analyzed till much later in the season, Im sure there will be some variation of it implemented.

The element of surprise for the Eagles lasted a long while and took them to a GF appearance. I think the biggest problem for our Club is having the right quality of players to be able to implement a strict game plan. I guess time will tell.

The one big gripe I have about pre season is that every Club looks magnificent and is on track to do well. I expect us to win all 3 of our NAB games to be honest, not because we are far superior to the opposition, but rather I can see the Eagles and Freo fielding soft teams.

Our first genuine big test is in R1.

Probably a fair difference between other clubs and commentators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox costs $300 a year? What package is that?

Lol we'll probably give away heaps 50m penalties, shouldn't all clubs officially receive notice on the rule chsnges before others can use them for practice? Why will it take so long anyway?
See, this is another case of AFL being totally amateurish again. Rule changes and clubs are briefed all at separate times, while some are given hands on training by umps, some after they've even been playing games with the new interpretations in place? Ludicrous.

See, this is another case of AFL being totally amateurish again. Rule changes and clubs are briefed all at separate times, while some are given hands on training by umps, some after they've even been playing games with the new interpretations in place? Ludicrous.

I think it's more likely that Collingwood is being proactive and has asked umpires to attend training rather than the AFL sendingb them along. We could do the same although I guess we'd have to fly them over and accommodate them as they are all Vics (I think).

It's a shambles. These ******* should be working on these adjustments week in, week out. Deadline date for decision at HQ by end of October, internal training of umps before Xmas and every club has an ump deployed first week back from the break. The maximum time differential in getting training should be no more than a couple of days.

What else I didn't like was Evans use of the term I when talking about what HE doesn't want with regards to tackles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back