Preview Round 7 - Geelong v West Coast, Saturday 2:10pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd play both Ruggles and Bews and rest Bartel.
which is more beneficial?
Countering each of their small forwards, but in doing so resting one of our current CP pillars

OR

maintaining another string to our inside game but allowing for another possible route to goal for the weagles

This is a serious question with no offence intended

I said it in the preview of the Gold Coast game as reason why Ruggles would miss. I'd play both Ruggles and Bews and rest Bartel... West Coast have some dangerous small forwards to counter.

I'd also wager that Vardy stays in at the expense of Smith... Scott likes a fit Vardy in the side and he's athleticism is perfect to go with Natanui... he also uses his knee in the ruck contest and NicNat can turn to water if the opposing ruckman is heavy handed early.
As much as I disagree with your views on Bartel generally, I'm fine if he gets a rest this week to allow Bews to remain in and Ruggles to return.

You have to be a bit bold to get the meat tray so I'm going with:

In: Mackie, Stanley, Ruggles
Out: Bartel (managed), Smith (managed), McCarthy (soreness)

For an extra sausage I predict the melts will come about Smith being managed for the NicNat match-up. :D

Last edited:

For an extra sausage I predict the melts will come about Smith being manger for the NicNat match-up. :D

Not bad.. I like Bews in with Ruggles. Smith is due and we need someone fresh for the Crows. Be a shame to lose Linc..he has been in and out.

For my tray of eye fillet..

Mackie , Stanley , Ruggles

Bartel , Bews , Vardy... but unsure on fitness..Guthrie/McCarthy

As much as I disagree with your views on Bartel generally, I'm fine if he gets a rest this week to allow Bews to remain in and Ruggles to return.
I'm almost ready to admit I was wrong, which is happening a lot lately.

He played well against the Suns, albeit against witches hats. It was more his positioning.

Our back-line looked the best it has all season last week. Apart from Lonergan's nervous start to the game, we had plenty of zip and flexibility with Henderson being able to push high up the ground to play almost like Taylor has in previous years.
Bringing in Mackie (ultimately this is the predicament we are now in unfortunately) slows us down as Kolo will likely have to miss and he's done little wrong.

Again, hate to harp on it but Mackie is ultimately going to slow down Kolodjashnij's development in the next 12-18 months. Mackie is the better player but when it comes to pure defensive accountability, there's very little between them and one has a hell of a lot more upside in his game.
Bobby i thought same in pre season but i must admit Kolo i think has been a little down so far this year. Long term yes games need to be pumped into him but this is a critical game where a win takes us to a great position and importantly inflicts a loss on a fellow top 4 aspirant. Need to play best 22 this week

Bobby i thought same in pre season but i must admit Kolo i think has been a little down so far this year. Long term yes games need to be pumped into him but this is a critical game where a win takes us to a great position and importantly inflicts a loss on a fellow top 4 aspirant. Need to play best 22 this week[/QUOTE]

Agreed - I'm just not sure who make up the best 22.

If I was match committee I would go:

IN: Stanley, Mackie, Ruggles
OUT: Vardy, Lang, Bews (all omit)
No way. They can't omit Lang.

Impossible.

For an extra sausage I predict the melts will come about Smith being managed for the NicNat match-up. :D
No, rest Smith next we need our best ruck duo against this lot.

For the meat tray.
In- Mackie (to play on lecras), Stanley, ruggles, ghs.
Out- kolo, vardy, Bartel (rest), and.........I'm stuffed if I know

Ok, I'll just take the kidneys and livers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackie for kolo
Stanley for vardy
Ruggles for bews

Gregson for mccarthy if he is sore.

Good thing hendo has hit form as their talls are hard to handle,hawkins needs to beat emac and schofield.

Big test for both smith and stanley,first time they have faced a really top ruck combo this year.
Come on down and collect the tray.

Pretty self-explanatory. All offer more than the one they are replacing. Mackie for Kolo, Stanley for Vardy, Ruggles for Bews.

Whoever our ruck will be they will need to keep away from those knees......jump from the side....I bet blitz is used 3rd up a lot....

And finally we are in the realm where we have genuinely unfortunate players being omitted rather than obvious poor performances. These are the hallmarks of a side going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back