2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

My stream was too slow to catch much of the flow of the game, just had a lot of "what happens next" moments with the rotating wheel on screen.

Did O'Driscoll get injured? Didn't see him at all in the last quarter.

One thing I did observe. Max Knobel, great leap, sloppy handballer.

Last edited:
Really good win considering the teams on paper.

The Peel players were very good too across the board.

Thought Stanley and Chappy were the pick of the freo boys and Heath should be back in the seniors sooner rather than later.

Davies another strong week, Brodie was ok but didn’t have much impact and not a lot from the others in NOD, Sturt, Delean (better second half though).

Knobel will learn a lot from that too as he he tried hard and Murphy has some tools to develop into a player but needs a full season of WAFL.

Are people getting concerned by NOD's progress? How far off AFL is he?

Seems to have completely stagnated to be honest.
You can’t win em all I guess. At this rate I’d say he’s hovering dangerously close to the trapdoor at AFL level at the end of the season.
NOD was never good at WAFL level before getting his debut though. He would’ve been in the team round 1 had he not gotten injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to hear Stanley played well 👊

Nod I’m not surprised. One year wonder called it earlier. Remember Lower being a solid player in 2011 to being delisted year after. Jack Anthony 50 goals to then Wafl at subi..it just happens sometimes.

The commentator sounds like Russell Coight.
lords of dogtown GIF

NOD was never good at WAFL level before getting his debut though. He would’ve been in the team round 1 had he not gotten injured.
The last third of his first Peel season was good, as was his time at Perth Seniors in 2020 pre getting drafted (Remember one game where he got something like 18 possessions and tackled like a maniac). The first two thirds of his first year at Peel, end of last year and this year have been pretty average to very poor.
In that role would you prefer him or Simpson?
In the immediate term I would prefer Stanley - he is a strong body now and in his first game back he did a massive amount of running, more than Simpson in previous weeks, which is probably the benefit of having been in the system just that bit longer. Today he also just lowered his eyes sometimes and spotted up people inside 50 (he had 5 inside 50s); which is contrast with my criticism of Simpson.

Longer term I see Simpson as the more talented option; Simpson has better sideways movement, a bigger, quick kick, better kick at goal on the run and I think he has ultra-hardness that you want in a half forward flank, whereas Stanley is probably better as a wing option.

Really good win considering the teams on paper.

The Peel players were very good too across the board.

Thought Stanley and Chappy were the pick of the freo boys and Heath should be back in the seniors sooner rather than later.

Davies another strong week, Brodie was ok but didn’t have much impact and not a lot from the others in NOD, Sturt, Delean (better second half though).

Knobel will learn a lot from that too as he he tried hard and Murphy has some tools to develop into a player but needs a full season of WAFL.

I thought Knobel's rucking outside of the first quarter was streets ahead of Reidy (and Reidy wasn't bad) of Knobel's 43 hitouts, I reckon many of the last 18 odd went straight to a Peel player, and he was tapping them in all directions at will. The big thing for Knobel is what he does around the ground (he laid three tackles but only had 4 disposals), but I still think if Darcy is off then we should be seriously considering Knobel with Jackson.

NOD may need significant time to build confidence in his body after that injury tbh.
He’s been consistently ill or injured and every time he recovers something else comes up and he gets no continuity. People gave Sturt five years of excuses after 1 good quarter. NOD has been influential in several games when he was healthy but people are so quick to write him off.

I thought Knobel's rucking outside of the first quarter was streets ahead of Reidy (and Reidy wasn't bad) of Knobel's 43 hitouts, I reckon many of the last 18 odd went straight to a Peel player, and he was tapping them in all directions at will. The big thing for Knobel is what he does around the ground (he laid three tackles but only had 4 disposals), but I still think if Darcy is off then we should be seriously considering Knobel with Jackson.
In that vein, is Knobel spending his time dominating WAFL reserves good for his development? He's now taken on a quality WAFL seniors ruckman and probably won the matchup to boot. Would he not be better served playing in a 2-ruck system with Reidy where maybe he doesn't get as much stoppage time, but he can work on his around-the-ground weaknesses, especially in the marking contest?

In that vein, is Knobel spending his time dominating WAFL reserves good for his development? He's now taken on a quality WAFL seniors ruckman and probably won the matchup to boot. Would he not be better served playing in a 2-ruck system with Reidy where maybe he doesn't get as much stoppage time, but he can work on his around-the-ground weaknesses, especially in the marking contest?
Absolutely agree with this call, Knobel and Reidy should both be playing for Peel league team. Especially with Tabs and Voss not in the team.

Reidy started as a forward anyway so its not like we would be doing something outlandish by playing them both. Knobel 's ruckwork is too good for reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back