Past Jonathan Brown #1 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jonathan Brown

Hammo on the best forwards of the decade

Link

Little separates the game's two best forwards, Nick Riewoldt and Jonathan Brown. Individual accolades put Riewoldt ahead with his five best and fairests and four All-Australian selections and he is a superior pack mark and probably covers the ground better than Brown these days.
But forwards are there to kick goals and that gives Brown the edge. He is the most intimidating presence in the game and the first man in the competition you'd look for in the dying stages to win you a grand final.

brownmerrett.jpg

Link

Known for never taking a backward step on the field, Brown's softer side has been uncovered since the arrival of the couple's first child almost two months ago.''We've come down to show off our new little baby. [Kylie's] folks are pretty happy to see her,'' Brown said. ''[Olivia] sleeps about 10 hours a night, so it's been a pretty reasonable introduction to it.
''It's been exciting and gives me something else to focus on apart from footy.''

Was watching sky news this morning, and noticed on the bit that goes across the bottom, that Bris. captain JB, blasts, denounces (forget word actually used) players for indiscretions over xmas..

Anyone know anything about that?....was it our players or just the goings on of other players in general etc?..

Probably just an inflammatory headline from this:

''You have got to be careful of the danger periods, and Christmas is a danger period,'' Brown in Canberra this week to visit family said. ''Unfortunately we've had a bad week in the AFL for off-field incidents, and hopefully it's not a sign of things to come in 2010.''

''We spoke about it as a playing group before the Christmas holidays not to go away and get yourself into too much strife, just to relax and enjoy yourself,'' he said.

God, Judd looks slimey!....and I always get a sense of pride when I see a photo of our JB....the man has such an aura about him!

2008 Review

2009 End of Season Review

As is now customary Brown had a modified preseason, which was further complicated by hip surgery and a strained quad. Playing as the sole captain for the first time he had a slowish start to the season, but after a few rounds he started to hit his straps. He managed to play every game of the year, and apart from a couple of off nights with the boot, was very consistent, kicking 3 goals or more in 19 games. Some games of note were; round 2 against Carlton, where he was reported for kneeing Marc Murphy, a charge which was later thrown out; round 17 against North Melbourne, where he kicked a season high 8 goals; round 18 against Collingwood, where the rough house tactics of defender Leigh Brown came into question; and the elimination final against Carlton, where Brown fractured his eye socket, but inspirationally came back on to lead his team to victory. He was also one of the few who played well in semi final loss the the Bulldogs.

Brown finished the year in 2nd place in the Coleman tally, eventually finishing with a career high 85 goals (beating the previous Brisbane Lions record of 78 by Alistair Lynch). He also came 4th in the Brownlow, finishing with 19 votes, was voted the best captain by the players, was picked at pocket in the All Australian team and was awarded his third straight Merrett-Murray medal. While Brown has probably had hotter patches of form in previous years, it was his best year over the course of the whole season. On a personal note, after marrying Kylie Adams in October 2008, they had their first child, Olivia, in October 2009.

The offseason saw the loss of Daniel Bradshaw and the recruitment of coleman medal winner, Brendan Fevola. It was a move that signalled a tilt at another flag, and it is with much anticipation that we wait to see how these two elite forwards work together in 2010.

brownt.jpg

Eagles spies keeping tabs on Lions
JUSTIN CHADWICK
January 25, 2010 - 3:39PM

West Coast assistant coach Peter Sumich predicts the new partnership of Brown and Fevola can easily combine for 150-plus goals this season and says the Eagles are already assessing ways to counter the duo in the round one clash at the Gabba. When asked which defensive pair would get the job, Sumich joked: "Glassy and Glassy".

fevola2.jpg

I have to say, that picture of Fev and Brown looks really scary. Trying to match up on one is normally a big task but both together will be a nightmare. Anyways, can't wait to watch a few Brisbane matches next season with both of those two together.

According to Tabsportsbet, Brown is the equal 9th favourite for the Brownlow at 26 to 1 and the 6th favourite for the Coleman medal.

Brendan Fevola 3.75
Lance Franklin 4.50
Daniel Bradshaw 11.00
Matthew Pavlich 12.00
Barry Hall 12.00
Jonathan Brown 13.00

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Tabsportsbet, Brown is the equal 9th favourite for the Brownlow at 26 to 1 and the 6th favourite for the Coleman medal.

Brendan Fevola 3.75
Lance Franklin 4.50
Daniel Bradshaw 11.00
Matthew Pavlich 12.00
Barry Hall 12.00
Jonathan Brown 13.00
My bet there would be Franklin to kick high 80's which should seal it.

If Fev wins the Coleman and Brown is only 15 behind it's a possible flag.

Interview with Brown

Jonathan Brown Roaring to go
Greg Davis
Sunday Herald Sun
February 14, 2010 12:00AM

There's been this misconception that Fev and I play the same position, but I've never played out of the goalsquare in my life. I play half-forward and Fev is a full forward. Braddy was very similar to Fev in a lot of respects so I don't see much changing at all.

I had an operation on my hip in October but I've had a full pre-season from then on. I class a full pre-season from Christmas onwards anyway. I haven't missed a session with the main group since Christmas, which is very good for me.

brownk.jpg

Lion captain Jonathan Brown wants five more years
Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
February 22, 2010 11:00pm

"I personally have four or five years left in the tank," he declared.
"I have worked pretty hard over the last few years to get over a lot of stress-related issues around my core, I am on top of them. The hip operation was the last piece of the puzzle."

As a youngster Brown defied conventional wisdom with his elite running ability. He was a 100kg wrecking ball but his beep test scores were on a par with the club's elite midfielders such as Simon Black. "I'm running as good as I ever did, at the levels of five or six years ago," he said.

brown1.jpg

Can't argue that over the last few years he has gotten better. He has kicked more goals each year, and also finished each year stronger than the last, setting himself up for some pretty good pre seasons.

The thought of 5 more Browny years makes me smile, but I'll try not to get my hopes up. The way he plays, he is still at high risk to get a career ending injury.

Still, great to hear he is as fit as he has ever been.

Michael Voss backs twin talls Jonathan Brown and Brendan Fevola
Article from: Jon Ralph
February 25, 2010 11:00pm

Lloyd, now a commentator on SEN Radio, says there may be teething problems with the pair. "The one worry for mine is they have both had the ball channelled through them for most of their careers. You love a centre half-forward that leads up at the football but Jonathan Brown comes back hard at it. Fev will expect the ball in his hands. There will be some trial and error, some ups and downs for those guys this year, and I can't wait to see how it plays out."

It's interesting that people are suggesting it won't work. Both Lynch and Bradshaw were at their best when they had Brown alongside them at CHF. History suggests that Brown works very well with key position partners and tends to bring out their best.

Just to illustrate my point, Alistair Lynch kicked 318 of his 633 goals in the 5 years he played with Brown. All 5 seasons were in his top 7 for most goals kicked. He averaged 3.11 goals a game playing with Brown compared to 1.54 without him.

Since Lynch retired Bradshaw has had 4 years at full forward (missing one year through injury). In the two years that Brown missed half the season he kicked 42 and 59 goals. In the two years that Brown played a full season he kicked 75 and 58 goals.

Contrary to the suggestion that Brown will negate another key forward, history suggests they tend to thrive. Both Lynch and Bradshaw had career best form working in tandem with Brown from full forward.

The only people who are saying that the Brown and Fev may not work are non Brisbane people. They are worried and rightly so.

They are in denial and are wishing and hoping it doesn't work. It is as simple as that. The other thing is one is a true FF and the other is a true CHF. Its not like we have got 2 great FF and are trying to fit them into the team. They also played very well together in the Vic side. There is so much evidence that they will work together fine its not funny.

There will always be a few times when they get in each others way, this is nothing new, it happened with Brown and Bradshaw, it will happen with Brown and Fev. There are going to be some very shell shocked defenses this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back