2009 Draft what would we give away

Remove this Banner Ad

I was listening to SEN on my drive to work and KB was saying with this being the last real Draft for a while what would clubs give away to upgrade or get picks so there not in trouble in a couple years time

So i ask the question what would we give away to try and improve where we are lacking which would be Midfield

Johnson
Obrien
Lockyer
Lonie
Toovey
Maxwell
Prestiacomo
Fraser
Holland

Just some names i wouldnt want to give away young players like Cook and Stanley because there not costing us anything and they could come good

I was listening to SEN on my drive to work and KB was saying with this being the last real Draft for a while what would clubs give away to upgrade or get picks so there not in trouble in a couple years time

So i ask the question what would we give away to try and improve where we are lacking which would be Midfield

Johnson
Obrien
Lockyer
Lonie
Toovey
Maxwell
Prestiacomo
Fraser
Holland

Just some names i wouldnt want to give away young players like Cook and Stanley because there not costing us anything and they could come good

^^^ This should be interesting. Isn't it a bit, well, previous Beeg?

But given one or two of the names listed above, I'd say you were a courageous poster.

^^^ This should be interesting. Isn't it a bit, well, previous Beeg?

But given one or two of the names listed above, I'd say you were a courageous poster.

Hahahha im sure ill fire up some people but with one more year left of the draft being fair maybe we could upgrage a 1st rounder or get a 2nd rounder alot of decent midfielders get picked up with 2nd and 3rd round picks

Johnson
Obrien
Lockyer
Lonie
Toovey
Maxwell
Prestiacomo
Fraser
Holland

Of that list, O'Brien, Maxwell and Fraser would be the only ones with currency. Tarks would be a little old now.

Can we afford to trade Fraser ? depends on how we rate the list and when we are likely to be ready to compete for the flag. He is the one player who might get us something.

Max and Harry are unlikely to get us more than second round picks at best.

Definitely not O' Brien, he is just in a form slump this year. He is much better than what he is showing.

Fraser definitely we should be looking to trade........ 1 good game playing for the vics doesn't mean he can play 50 average to below average games for Collingwood and get away with it.

If anyone would take R Shaw, I'd say he's all yours. If we could get a second rounder, I would swap him in an jiffy! I would probably even take a high 3rd rounder for him.

I'd keep Maxwell purely because I dont think clubs with offer much for him and we need players with GRUNT! I dunno why we would get rid of Lockyer, he is someone who can actually kick. Ben Johnson maybe if the trade was good.

No one would want Presti as he is near the end.

We wouldnt get anything for Lonie, Holland, Toovey, Cook, and Stanley as they will most likely be delisted.

O'Brien = untouchable in my books.

Fraser = much the same unless it's for Dean Cox. :rolleyes:

Definitely not O' Brien, he is just in a form slump this year. He is much better than what he is showing.

Fraser definitely we should be looking to trade........ 1 good game playing for the vics doesn't mean he can play 50 average to below average games for Collingwood and get away with it.

If anyone would take R Shaw, I'd say he's all yours. If we could get a second rounder, I would swap him in an jiffy! I would probably even take a high 3rd rounder for him.

I'd keep Maxwell purely because I dont think clubs with offer much for him and we need players with GRUNT! I dunno why we would get rid of Lockyer, he is someone who can actually kick. Ben Johnson maybe if the trade was good.

No one would want Presti as he is near the end.

We wouldnt get anything for Lonie, Holland, Toovey, Cook, and Stanley as they will most likely be delisted.

Lockyer would be the only player i would feel bad letting go but if it improved our club in the long run it has to be done

Maxwell might have grunt but that is about it his very over rated and maybe we can cash in on that send him to a team with a defender or 2 short Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond, Sydney,

Johnson
Obrien-- deplete an already struggling backline?
Lockyer-- he will stay a pie till his last game...
Lonie-- we wont get anything for him..
Toovey-- tries hard.. i think i was a better player at the boppers..
Maxwell-- every team needs a maxwell.. especially when there is no other option atm...
Prestiacomo-- hopefully the game hasnt passed him by.. one of our best defenders... i dont believe ud get much trade value out of him...
Fraser... not a chance unless wood can dominate every remaining game for the season...remember josh is pretty good around the ground too.. and can be used foward..
holland-- again, what would we get for him...

O'Brien = untouchable in my books.

Fraser = much the same unless it's for Dean Cox. :rolleyes:

Yep, I see O'Brien as untouchable as well.

When looking at "tradeable assets" you have to look at what players/picks would clubs want that aren't essential to our team. As such, I think our assets going into 2009 are:
- Dale Thomas (biggest asset, and plays a position at which we have some duplication).
- 1st round pick
- Tyson Goldsack (again, plays that mid defender position at which we have too much depth imo)
- Nick Maxwell (see Goldsack, although I rate Maxwell > Goldsack, so would want more for him)
- 2nd round pick
- Sean Rusling (although I don't know how much value he has left at this point).

Everyone else is either essential to team structure, or too old, or not good enough to get much back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok then thats sorted we will continue to have a piss weak Midfield and not doing anything about it
And by trading Holland we would get a player to strenghten our midfield. You would need to give up 5 of those players to get maybe a 2nd round pick cos thats all they are worth now

Yep, I see O'Brien as untouchable as well.

When looking at "tradeable assets" you have to look at what players/picks would clubs want that aren't essential to our team. As such, I think our assets going into 2009 are:
- Dale Thomas (biggest asset, and plays a position at which we have some duplication).
- 1st round pick
- Tyson Goldsack (again, plays that mid defender position at which we have too much depth imo)
- Nick Maxwell (see Goldsack, although I rate Maxwell > Goldsack, so would want more for him)
- 2nd round pick
- Sean Rusling (although I don't know how much value he has left at this point).

Everyone else is either essential to team structure, or too old, or not good enough to get much back.
Goldsack will end up about 5 times better than Maxwell. It's only his second year, he'll be a fine player.

Thomas will end up a midfielder. He isn't disposable imo, unless it's for a VERY nice price.

Goldsack will end up about 5 times better than Maxwell. It's only his second year, he'll be a fine player.

Thomas will end up a midfielder. He isn't disposable imo, unless it's for a VERY nice price.

Goldsack is better then Maxwell now and his 19

Trade Maxwell while he has some value and rip that Num 5 of his back in the process

We cannot trade Fraser, he is our best ruckmen and we would get smashed even more without him as we do not have another decent ruckmen besides Wood. At the moment we have an average/above average ruck combo in Wood and Fraser, compared to last years poor/average ruck combo, good ruckmen don't grow on tree's and you have to savour what you have.

The only player mentioned worth anything and is worth trading is Maxwell, other players have or will go past him, get whatever we can get for him as this is a strong draft.

Lockyer would be the only player i would feel bad letting go but if it improved our club in the long run it has to be done

Maxwell might have grunt but that is about it his very over rated and maybe we can cash in on that send him to a team with a defender or 2 short Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond, Sydney,

Hawthorn's gameplan is all about precise skills out of the backline. Maxwell is possibly the last player we would want, on that criterion. If you want to send him to Hawthorn, it'll be our last pick and you'll pay the bulk of his salary.

I'd look at trading Maxwell and Egan, and if there's any interest in them (and I mean any) add Lonie and Toovey.

Holland, Presti and Rusling probably have more value to us than we'd get back in any trade, as they've been absolutely wiped by injuries.

Goldsack, Thomas and O'Brien are all off the table, as far as I'm concerned.

Maxwell=no loss, i doubt any club would give us a second rounder for him ,i would be happy with a third rounder.
Toovey=every other club knows he is NOT a footballer.
O`Brien=untouchable,do not trade.
Egan=a spud who plays like a dud,his next club should be Aberfeldie.
Johnson=i love the bloke, but his time has come,we might get a second rounder for him.
By the way Goldsack>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Maxwell.

I think this might be a bit of a furphy. The concessions will push all picks for existing down the pecking order. The higher up the ladder you finish the less that will bite. Who is to say the new club(s) won’t trade their early picks for ready made players? Maybe it is better to hold the cards you have if picks are in demand on some rash assumption about future scarcity.
Johnson
Obrien
Lockyer
Lonie
Toovey
Maxwell
Prestiacomo
Fraser
Holland

All of those should be up for grabs for early picks and then some. Jesus if someone offered a top 3 or 4 pick for Stanley, Cook and Presti plus our first round pick I’d jump at it. It won’t happen though. Maybe Maxwell and Fraser plus our first pick. I’d think seriously about it. Probably a good deal subject to Hine’s view of the draft and what we can muster in the ruck.

Holland, Presti and Rusling probably have more value to us than we'd get back in any trade, as they've been absolutely wiped by injuries.
Not if there is one or perhaps two clubs building a list(s) from scratch.
Goldsack, Thomas and O'Brien are all off the table, as far as I'm concerned.
Don't be silly. How about pick 1 and the early second rounder for all 3? Pick 1 is pretty highly regarded this year and sounds like just what we need to me.

I think this might be a bit of a furphy.
Me too, TBH. I've heard talk of the GC17 getting 8 of the top 24 picks, which effectively means 8 picks spread throughout the first round-and-a-half. It does not mean that picks 1-8 are all going the GC17's way.

Don't be silly. How about pick 1 and the early second rounder for all 3? Pick 1 is pretty highly regarded this year and sounds like just what we need to me.
Obviously in that completely hypothetical situation, you'd have to look at it. I live on the planet Earth though, MarkT. :rolleyes:

i feel collingwood should supply the gold coast or West Sydeny with more players than any other club.

C.Egan, Lockyer, B.Johnson, Rusling, Toovey and Cook should be players to go to the new clubs

Maxwell wont be traded hes very loyal to the pies and a chance of captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back