Review Jason Akermanis: Open Season. A review, by Igloo

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, here we go with my review for Jason Akermanis' book, Open Season. This is my first long-ish review sorta post, so bear with me.

First off, the one thing I find amazing, is that in his book, he refers to Ryan Hargrave, as Hargraves. I know how we all are sick of people calling him this, along with many other variations, but I just couldnt believe his own team mate didnt know his god damn name.

Ok, now that is out of the way, I will get on with the review. I was going to do a chapter-by-chapter review, but being 25 chapters (all short, but nonetheless) I have decided to just really break it down into short-ish sections, mainly the most important parts.

The Sacking
The first chapter, entitled Shattered, details the process in which his sacking came about. Upon being called into Rockets office (he presumes he is being promoted to the senior team), he finds Rocker, Fantasia, Garlick, and Smorgon all sitting at a table waiting for him. All it really says is how pissed off he is, and he starts getting a bit angry in the meeting.
The only reason that Aker gives for them sacking him is that there is no trust within the playing group, and no one wants to play with him. He then jumps to the conclusion of it being about the book. Smorgon gave reasons like holding his tongue in publi and the emdia, etc.

The Gay article
According to Aker, the way in which the article got published without the clearance by James Fantasia is this:
After writing the article, he, as he always does, sends it to Jon Anderson from the HS, as well as to a psychologist who approached him to do the article. After he got back the edited draft, he sends it to Fantasia who approves it. Aker then makes some more changes, and sends it off to get edited by Anderson again. Now this is where things go wrong. Once he gets it back, apparently being too busy to read it/send it to Fantasia, he does nothing. Anderson then assumes its all good, so he publishes the story.
After this, as we all know, the s**t hit the fan with people calling him a homophobe, etc.
He remains adamant that this was the case though.

Leading Teams meeting
Firstly, later on in the book he mentions he was happy the leading teams program was brought into place. And that he was looking forward to getting critiqued.
Once this happened though, he became very defensive on every topic brought up. Saying things were bullshit, and that everyone was wrong. This contributes to the severe sense of him having paranoia you get from reading this book.

Brisbane era
Jason devotes 12 chapters to his time at Brisbane. But all that really accomplishes, is talk about his deteriorating, troubled and broken relationships with Leigh Matthews, Michael Voss, and Justin Leppitsch.
I found these chapters boring, mainly because I dont care about Brisbane.
He describes Leigh as a bully, and while he respects him, he hated his old fashioned approach to coaching, and the way Leigh tried to act like a celebrity, doing meetings etc, while he should have been coaching.

Family
The chapter entitled, Mum, was actually alright. It detailed his experience as a teenager, leading into his early 20's, with his mums illness, and what he and his brother Rory went through. It was filled with emotional memories, and was probably the most well written chapter. A far cry from the rest of the book.

The drama of his extended family is also highlighted. After discovering (at age 13) who his father was, and that he had other siblings, Jason does nothing about it. It is only until about 10 years later that he called his dad, and half brother, and started to, develop a relationship with them.

Mount Fuji (most wtf chapter in the book)
I have no idea what this chapter added to the book. It was just crap. He talked about a holiday to Japan, and how he climbed mount fuji. I guess he was trying to convey some spiritual epiphony or something, but I dunno. I was just confused.

Getting Traded
Apparently Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne and us were interested. He didnt want to go to collingwood because of how the supporters had yelled at him once or something, and he didnt want to go to richmond because they were unsuccessful, and not near a premiership, and he didnt want to go to Melbourne because when he talked to them he thought it was like he wanted to go to them, not they wanted to get him.
When he told Sheedy he chose us, Sheedy asked why he would want to go to a s**t club like the bulldogs. Aker used that to motivate the players whenever we played Essendon. That is pretty much all that had any sort of importance in this section

Time at the bulldogs
In the later part of the book, he describes things that happened in his time at the bulldogs. Such as Michael Braun and insinuating he was a drug cheat, the farewell of the handstand, and training.
He says he clashed with many people, and got in heated arguments with people such as Boydy, Johnno and Gia.
The rest of this is pretty much outlining important games. Eg finals, and his 300th.

In conclusion
Not a good read. Poorly written, went off on many, many tangents, and really just had an "everyone is against me" mentality throughout the whole book. There was no amazing outings of drug users, gays, or anything of any important. It was pretty much what everyone knew already from the media.
I advise you not to waste your time reading this book, let alone buy it like I did.

My rating: 2/10.

Thanks for reading

(Sorry if it was a poor review. I did struggle with it. Mainly because it was just a crappy book though, and there was nothing really to write about)

Thanks for the review Igloo. Good review and good 2010 posting :)

Yep, don't think I will be sprinting to my nearest bookshop to buy it. Between the parts printed in the Sun and the Age and Peter Gordons Reviews and your review, I think it has all been covered.

The book sounds a trifling lacking in substance so I will give it a miss. Mind you, it hasn't even reached the book shops up here yet. That is how much interest there is in his book in the Northern States.

Thanks for the review Igloo. Good review and good 2010 posting :)

Yep, don't think I will be sprinting to my nearest bookshop to buy it. Between the parts printed in the Sun and the Age and Peter Gordons Reviews and your review, I think it has all been covered.

The book sounds a trifling lacking in substance so I will give it a miss. Mind you, it hasn't even reached the book shops up here yet. That is how much interest there is in his book in the Northern States.

No problemo TBFB, and thanks :)
Definate lack of substance in the book. That, along with it being written in a terribly unintelligent way make it really difficult to read.

interesting comment about sheedy saying that the dogs were a s**t club

if he really said that, he can get stuffed as far as i am concerned !

cheers

cheers

Yep, I didnt like that one bit either.
Aker said that those were his exact words too. A very poor comment who supposedly has gained a lot of respect.

cheers

Sheedy wouldn't know, and at that point in time he would have been a bitter and twisted man having been dumped by the Bombers. For Aker to publish that in a book is pretty shiteful really.

Sheedy wouldn't know, and at that point in time he would have been a bitter and twisted man having been dumped by the Bombers. For Aker to publish that in a book is pretty shiteful really.

Apparently Sheedy said it 10 months before he was dumped. I think it was because he was a bit disgruntled that Aker chose not to come to his club.

Well done Igloo, and no need to worry about the quality of your review. It was well structured and a good read. As TBFB has said, I think we now know all we need about this rubbish.

Thank you

Thanks for the review. I'm surprised Aker didn't question Johnno's whereabouts when JFK was shot! Anyway, if MTR's ratings don't improve, the ******* will be doing the Sportman's Night circuit a year from now.

2010 proved two things: (a) we're still better than most but not top two; and (b) Akermanis' absence made virtually no difference either way.

However, I'd like some journo to give Sheedy a call and get his reply to Aker's quote.

From what I've learned from reading reviews, it seems that Aker was very hit and miss. For example, he is right to question Sheedy for saying we're a s**t club, and really, he wasn't in the wrong for the gay article, however other things he was way wrong about.

I still think he's a narcissist, and its a shame in all his years of footy never really made any true friends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great job Igloo:thumbsu:

Sounds like what I thought it would be, a book filled with hot air written by a person who will never be able to see that he isn't the victim! I very much doubt we'll se much of him from about the second half or next year. By then anyone who isn't sick of him now, will be.

Yeah, agreed.

Thanks muchly for the review.

I'm not going to bother reading the book. Johnno's on the other hand...

From what I've learned from reading reviews, it seems that Aker was very hit and miss. For example, he is right to question Sheedy for saying we're a s**t club

For me, the Sheedy comment is completely insignificant.

He probably just said it cos he was frustrated he didn't get Aker.

He just as easily could have said:

"Well, good luck winning a flag with those pricks."

Just a throw away comment made in frustration, I have no doubt.

It should never really have been made public, and Akermanis just wrote it to cause a stir.

cracker review Igloo. thanks.

I got given his last book one xmas when he was still a bulldog and the apple of my eye :)D so to speak...). ANyhoo it was so badly written and so me me me me me that I couldnt read it. He's an unusual man is Aka.

well.....did you actually buy the book like..now...brand new?

I read a lot. I rarely if ever buy a book. Reference books yes. But there is no way I will buy books written buy sports celebrities. Just on principle.

Seems to me that every B grade celebrity these days brings out some crappy book.

I did not read your review because I don't care what he has written. You sir have wasted your money on a book written buy no less than Akermanis. You have, by doing so, supported him. And he does not deserve that support, not just from doggy supporters but by anyone.

Time to move on, nothing to see here let's put him and the whole mess behind us. And while we are at it.....join a library.

I did not read your review because I don't care what he has written. You sir have wasted your money on a book written buy no less than Akermanis. You have, by doing so, supported him. And he does not deserve that support, not just from doggy supporters but by anyone.

Disagree with you there. By Igloo buying the book and giving a detailed review as to how bad it was, it saves or deters any other poster who was interested in its contents from buying it. :)

From what I've learned from reading reviews, it seems that Aker was very hit and miss. For example, he is right to question Sheedy for saying we're a s**t club, and really, he wasn't in the wrong for the gay article, however other things he was way wrong about.

I still think he's a narcissist, and its a shame in all his years of footy never really made any true friends.

I think you're being generous here. Aker claimed the Herald Sun changed his article when he knew he had received the final draft and had failed to correct it. Put the club in a bad position when they went in to bat for him.

well.....did you actually buy the book like..now...brand new?

I read a lot. I rarely if ever buy a book. Reference books yes. But there is no way I will buy books written buy sports celebrities. Just on principle.

Seems to me that every B grade celebrity these days brings out some crappy book.

Time to move on, nothing to see here let's put him and the whole mess behind us. And while we are at it.....join a library.

I bought the book because I was interested in what he had written. I dont care if you didnt want to hear what he had to say, but I did.
And by giving this review, I was telling everyone what was in it, and hopefully saving their money by not buying it.

Also, I go to my local library quite a lot. I also read a lot. I also buy books because I enjoy having more books in my personal library, which is quite large :thumbsu:

I bought the book because I was interested in what he had written. I dont care if you didnt want to hear what he had to say, but I did.
And by giving this review, I was telling everyone what was in it, and hopefully saving their money by not buying it.

Also, I go to my local library quite a lot. I also read a lot. I also buy books because I enjoy having more books in my personal library, which is quite large :thumbsu:

Most of us were appreciative of your review, Igloo. TK, you're being a bit snobby, if you don't mind my saying so. I don't buy many new books either. I get given a lot and am also a library-borrower, but I will be buying Johnno's book.

Most of us were appreciative of your review, Igloo. TK, you're being a bit snobby, if you don't mind my saying so. I don't buy many new books either. I get given a lot and am also a library-borrower, but I will be buying Johnno's book.

Went and bought Johnno's book today :) Haven't started it yet though. Might do so tonight

Gonna go against the train of thought here (and stand out amongst the Aker haters), and say I'm looking forward to reading his book. I haven't got a problem with Aker, and I love the Dogs (yes, you can do both!)

Gonna go against the train of thought here (and stand out amongst the Aker haters), and say I'm looking forward to reading his book. I haven't got a problem with Aker, and I love the Dogs (yes, you can do both!)

I liked Aker before and after I read Aker, but there was no way I was going read another one of his books, and like TK I read a lot. But, Aker pretty much put me off sporting auto biographies for good.

But, reading's a good thing. If reading one of Aker's books is what you want to do then go for it :thumbsu:. I know that seems condescending, but it wasn't intended that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back