Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

Conceded 2 goals in the last 6 weeks, but has also started dominating in the air. ******* love it when he gets the ball forward of centre aswell as he's drilling it to a teammate

Him and Tomlinson are now our most reliable field kicks I reckon. Confidence is a wonderful thing.

Great move getting Thomlinson into defence, looks a way better player back there using his rebound.

He's a far better kick than i initially thought we were getting.

Very Jetta like, safe kick id call him but makes good decisions.

I think he's a bit more talented by foot than Jetta, can make some really nice 30- 40m passes. People crap on about Salem but Tomlinson is a far better and more damaging kick imo.

I think he's a bit more talented by foot than Jetta, can make some really nice 30- 40m passes. People crap on about Salem but Tomlinson is a far better and more damaging kick imo.
I ment more so in his decision making, Jetta just always chose the right option. Not only that but he's just another really good option in the air to help Lever.

Best game by a Melbourne defender in how long?

Honestly, even when Frawley was AA did he have a game as dominant as that?

I wanted to see May belt someone and when he smashed Steele in that marking contest I knew he was on. Has looked hesitant in the contest in the past, mainly last year to be fair and even in the GC game this year, but he really believes he's the top dog down there now. Has earned the respect of the playing group.

Kept King to 3 touches, which all came in the first term.

Best game by a Melbourne defender in how long?

Honestly, even when Frawley was AA did he have a game as dominant as that?

I wanted to see May belt someone and when he smashed Steele in that marking contest I knew he was on. Has looked hesitant in the contest in the past, mainly last year to be fair and even in the GC game this year, but he really believes he's the top dog down there now. Has earned the respect of the playing group.

Kept King to 3 touches, which all came in the first term.

Best game by a defender since Nev tore Geelong a new one in the elimination final

Best game by a defender since Nev tore Geelong a new one in the elimination final
Mays was better
Both defender well but May had 22 disposals, Jetta had 7
Last time we had a defender play this well was when Frawley used to keep Riewoldt in his front pocket

May's best is better than Frawley's btw.

I haven't seen a better kpd in my time watching Melbourne.

Perhaps early days Neitz as far as combining shutting down an opponent, intercept marking and disposal. But May is better than that also coz he can play on a variety of opponents.

Mays was better
Both defender well but May had 22 disposals, Jetta had 7
Last time we had a defender play this well was when Frawley used to keep Riewoldt in his front pocket

I'm not saying he wasn't. The question was best game by a defender in how long. Nev's game vs the Cats the last I remember by a defender of ours and truly thinking he can't be beaten one on one.

He's a far better kick than i initially thought we were getting.
Kicks well on both feet too without breaking stride.

May is in serious nick, I’ve never seen a KPD impact games like this. Brian Lake won a Norm Smith at 31 and retired at 33. That’s what we need from May. Will be 29 in January, needs to give us another 4-5 seasons and drag his younger teammates to his level of dedication and form. Actually shits on Tom Lynch from a leadership perspective, can’t believe they were co-captains at GC17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also he and Lever make a great combo, team defence has never been so enjoyable to watch. Despite being a middle of the road side you just don’t feel as anxious with those two and Hibberd back there. Shame Jetta isn’t at his best. Saints had plenty of inside 50s but almost all of them were on our terms, we controlled the way it went back there knowing our back 6 would win it back.

In some really good form and settled with Lever nicely the last month. Didn’t watch enough of Gold Coast to know if he has played at this level consistently before?

May's best is better than Frawley's btw.

I haven't seen a better kpd in my time watching Melbourne.

Perhaps early days Neitz as far as combining shutting down an opponent, intercept marking and disposal. But May is better than that also coz he can play on a variety of opponents.
Best years by KPD's at Melbourne since we went total poo in 2007

1. Frawley 2010
2. May 2020
3. Garland 2008

Best years by KPD's at Melbourne since we went total poo in 2007

1. Frawley 2010
2. May 2020
3. Garland 2008

Maybe it's recency bias but I reckon May's year has been better than Frawley's. Frawley was great a shutting his direct oppenent down, much like May has been this year. Don't recall chip taking as many intercept marks tho. But I'll stand to be corrected if that isn't the case. I'm sure the stats are out there.

Maybe it's recency bias but I reckon May's year has been better than Frawley's. Frawley was great a shutting his direct oppenent down, much like May has been this year. Don't recall chip taking as many intercept marks tho. But I'll stand to be corrected if that isn't the case. I'm sure the stats are out there.
From memory he wasn't taking as many intercept marks but I remember him dashing out of the backline a lot (although I could be wrong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back