Toast All-Australian 2022

Who makes the final team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Max isn't a great 'ruck' per se. His around the ground and centre bounce tap work is meh compared to the best. He's a superstar follower ruck at impacting during general play. Being one of if not the best contested marks in the game.
Cox was like Jackson, he was the 5th midfielder his skills were incredible.

Can't find the video but his goal in the granny after 2 bounces and then straightening from 50 was insanely good
I remember in that 2015 match against Geelong - the Max breakout game - I turned to my partner and said that he could be the next Goldstein (who was top of the pile back then). He said nah - Max will never have that much impact around the ground.

He has swallowed his words big time, because practically from that exact day Gawn started working on his fitness, endurance, diet and whatever to do everything around the ground. And I was wrong too, Max will have a legacy so far beyond Goldstein, who was a very decent player too.

I think max should be, and probably is, rated not on his tap work alone but on the whole of what he provides which is contested marking forward or back, and capacity to run into those positions. He also until very recently with Jacko coming up has spent insane amounts of time on the ground.

Add to that, his role as a captain, and a premiership captain, has already put him in the history books as an all time great.

And he does a weekly silly podcast that I enjoy. What a man!

I remember in that 2015 match against Geelong - the Max breakout game - I turned to my partner and said that he could be the next Goldstein (who was top of the pile back then). He said nah - Max will never have that much impact around the ground.

He has swallowed his words big time, because practically from that exact day Gawn started working on his fitness, endurance, diet and whatever to do everything around the ground. And I was wrong too, Max will have a legacy so far beyond Goldstein, who was a very decent player too.

I think max should be, and probably is, rated not on his tap work alone but on the whole of what he provides which is contested marking forward or back, and capacity to run into those positions. He also until very recently with Jacko coming up has spent insane amounts of time on the ground.

Add to that, his role as a captain, and a premiership captain, has already put him in the history books as an all time great.

He's kinda like Jeremy Cameron as a forward. If you judge him on pure contested marking and marks inside 50 it's meh. Its everything he does around the ground

I love that he’s done it all in spite of being the antithesis of everything the MFC is stereotyped to be. To rise up from that larrikin public school background to become the captain and one of the most decorated players in the history of the club in the face of what I’m sure would have been some cultural blowback throughout all while maintaining his true personality - it makes it all the better

He's kinda like Jeremy Cameron as a forward. If you judge him on pure contested marking and marks inside 50 it's meh. Its everything he does around the ground
Good comparison! Though I reckon even Jezza has some catch up to do to match Gawn’s runs on the board.

With a few exceptions, Hawkins being one, that seems to be contemporary AFL. It’s no longer a one on one contest, so players with several skills aren’t just valued, they are required.

I love that he’s done it all in spite of being the antithesis of everything the MFC is stereotyped to be. To rise up from that larrikin public school background to become the captain and one of the most decorated players in the history of the club in the face of what I’m sure would have been some cultural blowback throughout all while maintaining his true personality - it makes it all the better
I love this too.

And despite the story being told a million times now, I still love the bizarre Jimmy Stynes prophecy in the jumper presentation singling out this weird, gawky tall guy who hadn’t quite quit smoking and saying that this bloke was the one he was excited about. He even referenced the quirky “going about things differently” which is exactly what Gawn has become. I was yelling and jumping around and crying a bit after we won last September - and one of the things that made me a bit teary was wishing that Stynes had been there to see it. And the prelim too. I would love for Jimmy to have seen that 3rd quarter from his unlikely protégé

No offense to Max, but hes not close to player Cox was no matter how many AA teams he makes or captains.

No shame in that. Cox is the best ruckman ive ever seen.
I rate Cox as one of the best players I’ve seen. He played like no one else in his position at such a high level, he made his opponents look like lumbering oafs in comparison.

I am warming to the idea that Gawn might be on his level though. Six AA’s is huge.

I rate Cox as one of the best players I’ve seen. He played like no one else in his position at such a high level, he made his opponents look like lumbering oafs in comparison.

I am warming to the idea that Gawn might be on his level though. Six AA’s is huge.

Its always tough comparing different players when their careers dont run parallel with each other, that why I say AA representation isn't the be all and end all. Cox was just one out of the box. Skills for such a big guy were far better than most mids today.

Like I said its no offense to Max, he'd probably be the second best ruck ive seen, hes far better than Stynes and White were and easily Melbourne's greatest imo. (we've been pretty blessed the past 30 years with rucks havent we?)

Its always tough comparing different players when their careers dont run parallel with each other, that why I say AA representation isn't the be all and end all. Cox was just one out of the box. Skills for such a big guy were far better than most mids today.

Like I said its no offense to Max, he'd probably be the second best ruck ive seen, hes far better than Stynes and White were and easily Melbourne's greatest imo. (we've been pretty blessed the past 30 years with rucks havent we?)

We’ve had four different AA rucks since Stynes and sadly Jackson probably would have been a lock for the 5th.

We’ve had four different AA rucks since Stynes and sadly Jackson probably would have been a lock for the 5th.

Was Jolly an AA at Sydney or Collingwood also?

MFC = ruck factory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was our rock in a woeful side but he was never close to being one of the competitions best midfielders in any season. Did he ever even make the AA squad?
Yeah probably not. Felt like he deserved a nod once but how could you possibly star in that crapola of a team

Junior McDonald getting on the AA bench in 2006 was huge - think he broke the record for tackles in a season at that point

Ive got the James McDonald AA card somewhere in my card collection gathering dust.

Probably worth a fortune today. :tearsofjoy:

No offense to Max, but hes not close to player Cox was no matter how many AA teams he makes or captains.

No shame in that. Cox is the best ruckman ive ever seen.
Not even close to Cox? wow

I'm still salty about Robbo missing in 2005 with 70 odd goals
Brad Green 2010. Averaged almost 20 touches a game and kicked 55 goals

A quick little trick to remember which year McDonald made the All-Australian team is this: it's the same year Goodwin tied for the ALFCA. :love:

What happens if you dont know what year Goody tied for the Coaches award like me?

Thanks for posting BTW

Back