Retired #10: Mark McVeigh - Appointed coach of GWS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure they'll keep him on as a development coach or something, so really, it'll just be a change in title.

Yep.. I would imagine something like tackling/defensive acts..

What is his footy brain like? I know he is always seen as a leader around the club..

Oh... I really wish Spike would see the end of the tunnel and let go gracefully. I, along with most of you, am loathe to 'hate' on such a passionate player who, truthfully, has given the best of himself to the club. I can only hope that the coaching panel and Mark will have a chat and a last hurrah organised, perhaps against Melbourne this week, so that we can say goodbye.

Unfortunately age, injury and a lack of pace have meant that McVeigh is no longer able to compete as I am sure he wants to.
I too love McVeigh. His pure passion is what I like about him. He was never the greatest player, and he knew it. But god damn he would give it one hell of a crack.

I dont think we will see him retiring soon though for the simple fact that it will infact disadvantage the club. ATM I dont think he is actually keeping someone out of a spot in our best 22. If he plays the 'less important' matches then im happy with that.
That way at the pointy end of the season we will hopefully have a near full list at full fitness, that arnt over worked and have had the opportunity to have a rest if needed.
If we are successful in September then I doubt McVeigh will be in the 22 for the GF, but I think he would be happy to be part of the team = that is, if we get that far.
I think its all about closure and a sense of completed achievement for him.

Next year he may play on (he's not THAT old really) but I would think that would be in the VFL as an assistant coach.

Dayum. Only just realised that Spike holds the unwanted record of most games for the club without a premiership. And Hille is #2.

What a shizen 10 years it's been.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Spike get a gig in the coaching ranks. Unfortunately his genuinely is a case where we probably stand to benefit more by promoting youth rather than playing him.

I suppose that would be the benefit of not retiring but his display on the weekend leads me to believe that even as a top up player he is not that effective. I would prefer guys like Reimers or even Kav or Dell getting games in the 'less important' games because at least that is development.

Giving McVeigh games at this point seems counter productive because it is abundantly clear to all that he will not be part of our next premiership team. Harsh but true and that is how I see it.

I know that as it stands McVeigh is probably position 30 out of 40 on the list but I guess I just hate seeing ANY athlete hold on too long, no matter the sport, I don't want to remember shadows and instead better they go out on top.

Dayum. Only just realised that Spike holds the unwanted record of most games for the club without a premiership. And Hille is #2.

Ah well, on a brighter note we dont have any 300gamers without flags, I could probably name 20of them from others clubs,

Also Spike will play 250games, we always do our best to get our players to their milestones, rioli got his 100, I think even Bomber was talked into playing another season so he could get 200.

What a shizen 10 years it's been.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Spike get a gig in the coaching ranks. Unfortunately his genuinely is a case where we probably stand to benefit more by promoting youth rather than playing him.

Close but no cigar.

Ken Fletcher is actually number one on this list for Essendon. 264 games and no premiership.

He was unfortunate to start just after our '65 flag (he debuted in 1967) and to finish just before our golden '80s era started (he retired in 1980, we exploded in 1981)

Woah! That's Bloody cool! Watson could play on for years, none of his elite attributes fall away at 31 like most players. Diesel Williams was 35 when he retired ;) I bet you that in Max Fletcher's debut year Watson Retires, and by then has a son and while that goes on Max Fletcher has a 20 year career and plays with Watsons son, and then..

Continuing with the trivia.

There has always been a Fletcher and a Watson on our list since 1967 - Think we have another 5 to 7 years to go.

If you want to be really technical, we didn't have either in 1992 because Tim retired at the end of 1991. And then came back in 1993 when Fletcher started.

Splitting hairs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to be really technical, we didn't have either in 1992 because Tim retired at the end of 1991. And then came back in 1993 when Fletcher started.

Splitting hairs!

Tim was on WC's list.;)

Good on him for allowing himself to go onto the long term injury list even though I think he could've gotten back for finals.

A great club man to the very end.

As much as I hate the phrase.
Spike "bleeds red and black."
That he does.

It appears that if his career is over, he could possibly have a role at the club- Even if he has stated he would want to move back to Sydney.

s**t way to end his career.

Really dug deep and played to his fullest during the darkest times of our club, can hold his head high.

Cheers Spike.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back