Retired #10: Mark McVeigh - Appointed coach of GWS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Great clubman who was a very handy mid in his peak-was unlucky that inuries prevented him from peaking as strongly as he surely could have-
I guess it really shows just how differently players age-when you compare him to a guy like fletch (though fletch is a freak)

Whilst he's a bomber through and through, makes perfect sense for him to do a Cornes/Brogan/Power etc.. up at GWS. Has said he'll move back up there anyway, only played 10 games or so I'd imagine, close with Sheeds, knows the game well (assistant coaching part). Certainly wouldn't hold it against him, he'd get a very warm welcome when we played them that's for sure.

Who really knows. Some of us thought Welsh might do the same and have a year or two at GWS- he didn't.

McVeigh has the connection of being from Sydney that Welsh didn't, but it'd be eminently understandable if Spike decides, after 14 years and 232 games, that enough is enough.

If he does go to GWS though, certainly would wish all the best and warmly welcome him when we play them again.

If he does go to GWS though, certainly would wish all the best and warmly welcome him when we play them again.

Yep, wouldn't taint his career with us at all IMO.

Pity his body has let him down so much just when it looks like we're on the way up. He was never a star but he was a bloody good back pocket for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JD will get #1 I feel. #10 has been given to a defender for the past 5 players, so maybe Hibberd?

If we're going by the name of his dog, I think we can assume that Hibberd loves his 43.

Im sure he'd love to go out playing and not injured, but it will be tough at 31-32 to put yourself through a pre-season at a new club after having such an injured year and losing confidence in his body.

Good luck to him whatever he decides.

He also used to have a pretty good FF wear the number 10 I think.
Yeah, that bloke, can't remember his name. Averaged 5.6 goals/game or something

Disappointed that Spike never got to 'peak' because of his injury. Great form back in 08, if above poster is correct.

Spike was my most recent jumper #, so now I will have to select again...

EDIT: Thanks for your years of service to the club, always put in the hard yards and did as much as you could for the team. Great clubman.

A lap against Collingwood in Rd 23 then?

Best of luck with future endeavours.

I'm pretty sure the 'story' is only a few news outlets repeating Bunk Moreland's post and then repeating each other.

I love Spike but a move to GWS makes so much sense for him in every way that I would be happy to see him run around for them next year. He is unfortunately not part of our longer term plan anymore so I couldn't see any reasonable Bombers supporter being upset with him.

It makes perfect sence and would be a good fit. If he does make the move to GWS would we receive a compo pick or does he go under free agency?

Good luck to spike what ever he decides.

Spike now bleeds Orange, Charcoal and White.

I'm not upset to see him go to GWS and imo has added nothing to the side in the last 3 years. Is one of the reasons we remain a mid tier side as we hang onto average players for far too long. We need to get far more ruthless in showing players the door.

Last two set of coaching departments have constantly tried shifting him (midfield to the backline and back to midfield as a stopper and back to the backline and eventually as a defensive forward) and finding a new position for him to cover up his deficiencies (lack of pace and lack of accountability), in the end it was all for nothing and a waste of time and development.

I also think his leadership quality's and attitude are overrated and to be honest his body language on the field in the last two years has stunk. Tries to shift the blame off to other team mates for his mistakes and berating team mates when they make a stuff up or don't pass it off to him.

JD will get #1 I feel. #10 has been given to a defender for the past 5 players, so maybe Hibberd?

On the money, IMO. Joe will get #1 and Hibberd seems the most likely to get #10. I've got a feeling they'll be looking to give Howlett a lower number soon too. Possibly #19?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back