10 tests to earn baggy green.

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
In a proposed move to hold the prestige of the coveted baggy green cricket cap, Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland has suggested players earn their baggy green after having played 10 tests for Australia.

In speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Sutherland suggested "We have a lot of test players come through because of injury and occasionally player rotation. Increasing the number of tests required to earn a baggy green will help ensure the baggy green does not become devalued."

Over 60 players have represented Australia in a solitary test. If carried through the move will resemble the former English touring policy of tourists playing a minimum 3 tests before they earnt the St George's Cross emblazened crest.

If this becomes policy, we would have 197 players that have earnt one out of 403 test players.

Agreed surely all the players hard work during the domestic season earns them the baggy green. It amazing how england have around 600 odd players who have played from them (even players from outher countries) and Australia who have been playing cricket for the same time have only had 403.

But i think England had a rule in the early days where by all touring players got a test number even if they didnt play a test. But still a big difference.

Agreed surely all the players hard work during the domestic season earns them the baggy green. It amazing how england have around 600 odd players who have played from them (even players from outher countries) and Australia who have been playing cricket for the same time have only had 403.

But i think England had a rule in the early days where by all touring players got a test number even if they didnt play a test. But still a big difference.

The poms would have had a revolving door over the last 20 years....

Can't say I agree with it.

The unmeasurable hours and commitment it takes to get to first-class cricket, then get picked for Australia, be it lucky circumstances or not, mean further qualifying it by 10 tests is unfair.

Do any cricket fans on here begrudge players getting a baggy green for one test? I think it's part of the game, you earn that cap and everything that goes with it the first time you walk out for Australia.

In the late 1800s-early 1900s the poms played a lot of 'take cricket to the colonies' matches that later were deemed to be test matches. PLayers were paid peanuts, so you could only go if you could afford to lose income. Many players only went on one or two. Except for the Australian tour, it was a case of 'who can go' rather than 'who should we select?'.?

Some players only first-class cricket was on those tours - they never played for an English County, but they were wealthy enough to 'buy' their way onto an overseas tour.

In 1930 England actually played simultaneous series in the West Indies and New Zealand. On some days, England was playing two test matches at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could potentially be a part of three or four series and still not get one. Stupid idea.

Take my wife's great-uncle - toured England twice in Bradman's teams of the 1930s, and had his career finished by the onset of World War II - are his four Test matches not worthy?

The fact that only just over 400 people have got one in well over a hundred years of matches should be a hint that they're not easily come by.

They're like Steven Bradbury's Olympic Gold medal - not just about what you did on the day, they're also about all you did just to get there.

I agree with it. So many people willing to corrupt their own game to play for Australia. This would make people actually earn their honours.

It would go a tiny way to rectifying the whole "make 8000000000000000000000000000000000 Sheffield Shield runs and we'll think about it (Siddons, Law, Cox, M Hussey, Lehmann, Maher, Love, Hodge) but be born with functioning shoulders and you're in! (Wilson, McIntyre, Muller, Hauritz, Nicholson, Cook, Cullen, Dale, Siddle, et al)" situation, too.

It's become a symbol for much more, but essentially the baggy green is just a part of the team uniform. If you're in the team, you get a uniform.

England even had two different teams playing against different nations at the same time overa few months in 1891/2, internationals on each were granted Test status. (3 v Australia, 1 v South Africa)
At least if Cricinfo's dfates are correct that was the case.
Tour of Australia by "Lord Sheffield's XI" from 20/11/1891 - 28/3/1892 included 3 Tests.
Test in South Africa 19-22/3/1892.

Not something I knew before today, but came up for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back