Coach 100+ Point Losses = Coach Killer?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's something about a 100 point loss in our game that carries more psychological weight than losing by 70-80 points even though the difference is only 3-4 goals.

Dean Bailey - Melbourne Coach 2008 - 2011
Had 3 100+ losses in his time as coach.

Mark Neeld - Melbourne Coach 2012 - 2013
Had 4 100+ losses in his time as coach.

Brad Scott - North Melbourne Coach 2010 - 2019
Had 3 100+ losses in his time as coach.

Scott lasted as long as he did because the middle part of his tenure saw us play finals. Also our board was spineless and it took Scott himself to tell them that he felt change was needed. Which then forced the board's hand into making that very change. Otherwise he'd still been our coach today.

The other 2 examples show that those coaches didn't last long coaching a bottom team.

We are that bottom team.

Our current coach is a season and 3 games into his job and already has 2 100+ point losses on his record. Is Noble in trouble if we have another defeat of this size? Should he be in trouble?

Last edited:
It’s not the 100 point losses, the club hasn’t improved from last year and have no game plan or confidence with their skills or game plan, players are played out of position or badly mismatched compared to their opponents (mostly our defence) and there are more holes on the list then there were last year.

Ironically we have no debt ,money in the bank , however now we do not know how to football so to speak. Are we able to do both at the same time ? Still think we need to stick with Noble , we knew it would be rocky and currently we are in the midst of an asteroid shower.

In his first season there was a clear message. We are going to teach the young group a new more attacking game plan, that will take some pain, but as a result, in a will have us playing the modern high scoring way.

In his second season we have no game plan, no structure and all the gains made in the second half of last year, are no longer visible.

Add to that the 100 point loss and it’s not looking great

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The messaging Noble is giving to the group of “it doesn’t matter about wins losses”, this is dangerous messaging and I can see it. If he does not turn the attitude of the players around then he has to go. Not ******* good enough. Also, for the club recruitment and list managers to give Jack Ziebell 2 years and offer Tarrant one are dumb campaigners

The messaging Noble is giving to the group of “it doesn’t matter about wins losses”, this is dangerous messaging and I can see it. If he does not turn the attitude of the players around then he has to go. Not ******* good enough. Also, for the club recruitment and list managers to give Jack Ziebell 2 years and offer Tarrant one are dumb campaigners
Not to mention bringing in cj on a 3 yr contract and risking losing x who’s out of contract this year and put off discussions. There will be more than st kilda interested! …. Didn’t address the lack of key defenders, could have picked up sam skinner cheap who was one of the best in JHF’s team, instead we have a higher priced cj on 3yrs in the reserves and relying on Walker and corr now and undersized defenders. On what I saw last night, we will not win more games than last year and sorry to say but Somebody should be having covert discussions with Clarko.

Nobles had a lot of influence on last night's loss, mainly through his association with brisbane in being part of the team that got them to the competitive state they are at now. The same brisbane we beat in the Raynor cup a few years back. They stuck the course where we have been a rabble off field since.

ATM our younger players are devoid of confidence with lack of experience and seasoned bodies such as Cunners , Jed and taz.

‘Nourishment’…….gee wiz
New regime has had over 12 months and they haven’t instilled decent fundamentals in our playing group.
Midfielders must apply pressure to every opposition disposal, it gives our defenders a chance to defend. Move the ball quickly when attacking, provides forwards a chance. The players looked lost last night. Worried about our coaching appointment for the first time

Noble needs to show some balls and axe some senior players. They are the ones letting us down.
Yes and our captain being the first. Some of his efforts last night were very ordinary. Half hearted which ia unlike him - at worst Jack tries his hardest. He's been terrible this year but his stats flatter because he takes the kick ins.

Yes and our captain being the first. Some of his efforts last night were very ordinary. Half hearted which ia unlike him - at worst Jack tries his hardest. He's been terrible this year but his stats flatter because he takes the kick ins.

In a 108 point loss, our captain didn't lay one tackle. That's showing the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a 108 point loss, our captain didn't lay one tackle. That's showing the way.
That's an indictment on where we are at currently. Zero tackles from Ziebell and Goldy - our two most experienced players that were kept partly because of their leadership. When the team isn't performing you are supposed to look to your leaders for an example. We aren't getting that.

I wonder how we stack up against the rest of the comp in 100 point thrashings. Even close to 100 points like the 07 and 12 capitulations.

My mind goes back to Stevo's last game in 2004, 100 point thrashing.

We seem to be on the end of a lot, going back a long time.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I guess the comparison for Nobes is to Fagan.

Fagan had 5 wins in his first two seasons and it did not look good for him. Then it turned around.

In those 2 seasons the worst losses were:

1 - 85 to geelong, 80 to adelaide, 83 to port
2 - 93 points to richmond

Not once over 100 and stemmed the bleeding in season 2.

I guess the comparison for Nobes is to Fagan.

Fagan had 5 wins in his first two seasons and it did not look good for him. Then it turned around.

In those 2 seasons the worst losses were:

1 - 85 to geelong, 80 to adelaide, 83 to port
2 - 93 points to richmond

Not once over 100 and stemmed the bleeding in season 2.

Noble
2021 - 128 to WB, 72 to Essendon
2022 - 108 to BL…

In conclusion, more data required. Nobes’ year 1 had the biggest defeat but much better bounce back after that. His year 2 is yet to unfold…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nice bait Dan

Pagan, Laidley and Scott all experienced 100 pt losses at north.

It's a bad thing but doesn't magically rule the same coach out of achieving any success.
The sample size I showed (even though small) is more prevalent in teams that are really struggling.

Pagan had the best team in 90's...Laidley/Scott had middle tier teams that managed to play finals.

I don't think coaches should be judged this way but the reality is the when these defeats happen.....club boards feel the pressure from fans and conjecture from the media.

Noble being compared to the other 100 point drubbings when those teams had prime Wells, Boomer, Petrie, Firrito, Thommo, Goldy, Tarrant etc. bit harsh?

Noble has to start fresh after 11 player cuts followed by more delistings and a pandemic environment. None of which our previous coaches other than Shaw had to go through.

We are starting from the ground up with this group. The other coaches had senior players already ready to go for finals contention. We're nowhere near that level of distribution in experience.

I wonder how we stack up against the rest of the comp in 100 point thrashings. Even close to 100 points like the 07 and 12 capitulations.

My mind goes back to Stevo's last game in 2004, 100 point thrashing.

We seem to be on the end of a lot, going back a long time.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

We'd be up there for 60+ point thrashings for sure in the last 20 odd years.

Pagan saw a lot in his last 2 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back