Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a fair bit of bias in here. Thomas is undoubtedly a gun, although he plays for and wins a huge amount of free kicks.

As a North fan, it doesn't bother me, although I understand why the vast majority of opposition supporters can't stand him. It also infuriates me when he get's caught up in playing for free kicks (completely different incidences to dropping one leg and copping it high) and doesn't properly contest as a result (this happens rarely, although it does happen).

I wouldn't have him anywhere else but North, although I wouldn't mind for him to 'get on with it' at times.

It's funny how quickly a board that were so furious with the West Coast duckers can completely change their opinions! Thomas does the textbook Luke Shuey/Scott Selwood side drop and raise.

There's a fair bit of bias in here. Thomas is undoubtedly a gun, although he plays for and wins a huge amount of free kicks.

As a North fan, it doesn't bother me, although I understand why the vast majority of opposition supporters can't stand him. It also infuriates me when he get's caught up in playing for free kicks (completely different incidences to dropping one leg and copping it high) and doesn't properly contest as a result (this happens rarely, although it does happen).

I wouldn't have him anywhere else but North, although I wouldn't mind for him to 'get on with it' at times.

It's funny how quickly a board that were so furious with the West Coast duckers can completely change their opinions! Thomas does the textbook Luke Shuey/Scott Selwood side drop and raise.

Totally agree, and I'm one who has changed my opinion on it. I used to get pretty filthy watching Wet Toast go about it. My view was that if you initiate the high contact, it should be play on.

But the rule makers have made it very clear that high is high, no matter who initiates it. So be it.

So if they're not changing the rule, you play to the rules. Footy has never been a gentleman's game. It's not cricket. You claim a mark or a goal no matter how many hands touch the ball. If you feel pressure on your back as you're picking up the ball, you flop to your knees and try to get them to fall in your back. And so on.

The game has always been entirely in the hands of the umpires to umpire, not for the players to decide what's good sportsmanship and what isn't. That's been the case since day dot. So if the rule benefits LT, good on him for exploiting it. Same goes for Selwood or anyone else - I ain't gonna be criticising them nowadays.

Is making contact with a player above the shoulders illegal?

Yes

Do opposition players tackle Lindsay above the shoulders?

Yes

Some of this Ducking stuff is media driven drivel, there were high frees given to Lindsay when he was standing completely upright. How can that be defined as a duck?

In all honesty if they want to complain about a high free kick that resulted in a shot on goal not being there, they should be looking at the one that was paid to Jack.

It really irks me that Lindsay will never get the credit outside the club that he deserves.
He does some sublime things on the football field, but he is only known for drawing high contact and having the yips 3 seasons ago. I mean FFS, he missed 2 consecutive set shots by a bees dick, and apparently the yips are back :rolleyes:
Last night he was baulking blokes, hitting our forwards on the tit and winning contested ball inside 50.
Would love to see those things highlighted for a change.

It really irks me that Lindsay will never get the credit outside the club that he deserves.

Honestly I don't think Lindsay gives one single f*** what anyone outside the club thinks about him.

He loves us though.

Loves us.

Bleeds Blue and White.

Spot on mate!!!
And we love him!!!
Its actually quite hilarious watching Bombers fans get up in arms about him being a cheat for acting within the rules of the game.

He's been called a blight on the game, again for acting wihtin the rules of the game.

Honestly I don't think Lindsay gives one single f*** what anyone outside the club thinks about him.

He loves us though.

Loves us.

Bleeds Blue and White.

We know Brad loves him and
the boys love playing with him. I wouldn't trade the bloke for anything.

I just wish the positives and negatives were highlighted equally. Being a diving campaigner (according to some) and an excellent footballer don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Let's face it: If he weren't a North player, we'd all hate his guts as well.

What he does is legal. But it's not something you'd want to be known for.

He's a bloody good player though - doesn't need to resort to that sort of stuff.
I agree. I hate the technique but every club does it and every club has one player who does it more than most. For some reason, the media like to act as if LT is the only one who does it. Which of course, just makes us North supporters stick up for him even more.

If Joel Selwood is a champion footballer than so is this bloke IMO

He does some sublime things on the football field, but he is only known for drawing high contact and having the yips 3 seasons ago. I mean FFS, he missed 2 consecutive set shots by a bees dick, and apparently the yips are back :rolleyes:
Last night he was baulking blokes, hitting our forwards on the tit and winning contested ball inside 50.
Would love to see those things highlighted for a change.

It has been noted on here over the last week or two, but I thought it was a really good move to rotate Thomas through the centre square at times. Is up there with Swallow and Cunners in reading the play and is tenacious as all hell.

Is making contact with a player above the shoulders illegal?

Yes

Do opposition players tackle Lindsay above the shoulders?

Yes

Some of this Ducking stuff is media driven drivel, there were high frees given to Lindsay when he was standing completely upright. How can that be defined as a duck?

In all honesty if they want to complain about a high free kick that resulted in a shot on goal not being there, they should be looking at the one that was paid to Jack.
living 300km away, i don't get to many games, several years ago i watched thomas for the first time live and he shat me to tears, couldn't wait to see the back of him, today i stand a unabashed fan. He has clearly worked his but off to become a better player, and should be lauded for that fact. OF, i agree with all your comments above. i just watched the game for the first time on replay, and every one of those free kicks were there. bruce, dennis and those other stooges darcy and gale are ucking kidding themselves with the s**t they carry on with. the latter just jealous because they were both soft, no talent sooks of the highest order. some of the most biased commentary of heard, bruce seriously should be ashamed with some of crap that came out of his mouth last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Paul Puopolo from the hawks does the same thing, all he gets is he is hard at it.

The difference is that he (PP) hasn't created the 'tainted flop' reputation that LT did a few years ago.. that was embarrassing/ the blight on the game.

Puopolo hasn't done anything less in the past.. So that comparison shouldn't be looked at.

Many people on BF and social media hate him, l love him, gives his all for the team, always puts in a 100% effort for the team and always does the team thing when required, but kicks the goal if needed, proud to call him a shinboner, if Firrito didn't have the 11, Thomas or Turner would.

Sometimes being HATED is a good thing. Carey was HATED. Jimmy Krakouer was HATED. They were outstanding players back in the day.. gave as good as they got.

LT is quite disciplined at least.

I cringed back in his early days when he'd flop.. he's shaken that off and now we have his bravado along with sloppy tackling attempts by the opposition that is getting the all the wrong vibes from certain AFL media folk. I laugh at Benny Gale's cry baby response.. very petty.. if his knucklehead team were SMART enough to work out in playing brave and putting their head over the ball, they'd be closer to winning. *facepalm*

Pay no attention to the complaining… every season there is OUTRAGE at some of the rules.. and then players are taught ways to encounter that and it goes away.

Special mention to Andrew Swallow's TACKLING technique. I'm really happy for him. He is excelling extremely well. Glad I sent him that clip of Sean Spence a couple years ago.

Nice to see the continued media assassination of Thomas, apparently every single contest, lindsay drops the knees and is the only player to do so in the history of the game and all he does is stage for free kicks, **** l despise commentators.

AFL commentators have their moments… they know he is very bombastic and a terrier who can't be challenged… they also don't like North and that's a fact. I'm LOVING the FACT they're getting PISSED OFF!!

bigfinger.gif

incredibly one dimensional. would be nice if he could get up in the midfield and get a few touches

Since when? If anything.. LT is more bombastic than 85% of AFL players. (read: 15% of players have the X-factor)

Can beat em - join em..

Love him as a player and have defended him when he was rock bottom. Ive said he is the best forward pocket player I've seen at Nth Melb. But I don't like the rules and I don't like players using the necks as a tool to milk free kicks. That 2nd's Geelong player is a quadriplegic a fews years back and players like Thomas who milks it beautifully, is a role model for kids. The rules need to be changed.

I love Thomas, he's a champ. Every side has a player that has mastered the art of drawing the high free. We've had more then our fair share that have gone against us and I've gone mental over it. Thomas didn't bring it into the game but Thomas probably the best of them at the moment. He's just playing to the way the game is adjudicated. It's on the tackler to go low, if the bloke with the ball has the smarts to get low then so should the man trying to grab him.

However I do think it's a pretty s**t thing that has crept into our game and I hate seeing it. It's not how I want to see the game played and I get a little bit embarrassed by it.

There seems to be 2 arguments about Thomas winning all these free kicks.
1) that he is putting himself at risk by ducking...
He isn't though, he doesn't lower his head and drive it into oncoming players. He lowers his while body and remains upright. He is in danger of copping one round the chops, but absolutely not a spinal injury.

2) it's not in the spirit of the game...
Honestly anyone that pulls out this line can just heck off!!!!
The spirit of this game is about winning!!! You do what you can to win! Is tagging in the spirit of the game??? Was Silvagni playing in the spirit of the game when he scragged the heck out of anyone near him???? The world laud him as the best defender ever! Was Leigh Matthews playing in the spirit of the game when he assaulted Bruns??? s**t but isn't he considered to be the greatest (not by us) player ever! What about Judddddddy was he playing in the spirit of the game when he elbowed Pav? Eye Gouged someone (can't remember who right now) and ripped patch's arm off??? What about Hodgyyyyy was his hit to Swallows chin at a dead ball situation in the spirit of the game.
The spirit of the game is the biggest load of s**t EVER!!!! In every game all over the world every player is looking for an edge, an advantage within the rules to win. Soccer, NFL, Basketball, Rugby League, Union, GAA, Baseball, Hockey all have wonderful exponents of players that are smart enough to put themselves in positions where they win free kicks or penalties to help their team win!
LT is as hard as anyone on our team, he attacks the ball and opposition with ferocity. I would not trade him in for any small forward in the comp.... And the boos and vitriol from opposition fans, players and commentators tastes lovely!!! Our own fans should however have a good hard look at themselves if they choose to have a crack at LT...
In short he is a Star!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back