Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Jonathan O 'Rourke be a good comparison?
I never really followed him closely to tell, but sounds like he had injuries when he went into the AFL system. As far as I know, Clark is most likely a durable type, but kind of lacks in size and pace. O'Rourke was bigger, and probably quicker, and a combo of injuries and not good enough.

I'm in the camp that Clark is a bust, but I think it's too early to tell and we will know by end of next year at probably 90% confidence level.... Even still, some players take 3-4 years to breakout.
just so i understand this fully...

An 18 yo kid that has played 2 VFL games - one of which the team got belted by 107 points, has led you to assert that he's gonna be bust.

Im glad you expressed your thoughts.

GO Catters

just so i understand this fully...

An 18 yo kid that has played 2 VFL games - one of which the team got belted by 107 points, has led you to assert that he's gonna be bust.

Im glad you expressed your thoughts.

GO Catters
A lot of people put Lachie Fogarty in the bust category straight away when we drafted him... Anyway hope I'm proven wrong. Happy to eat my own words.

I'm in the camp that Clark is a bust, but I think it's too early to tell and we will know by end of next year at probably 90% confidence level.... Even still, some players take 3-4 years to breakout.
Too early to tell or bust, which one is it? Sounds like a lot of fence sitting to me.

I don't mind it. Make a call and the difference of opinion is good. Personally think he will play a lot of games but never a star
My point is it's far too early to make the call that he'll be a failure.

I don't mind it. Make a call and the difference of opinion is good. Personally think he will play a lot of games but never a star

Tend to agree. Very early call, my opinion (as we are on a footy forum) he will be a bit of a battler. Atkins type.

At the time I was strong on phillipou. Also liked Ginbey. Both like miles ahead of Clark, then and now. Nothing whatsoever indicates Phillipou and Ginbey won’t continue to have great careers justifying their draft position… it is more unlikely that Clark will overtake from all available data at this point in time. Of course we could be wrong. This is the logical part of my brain talking.

But my emotional side feels like we completely shot ourselves in the foot after being gifted a single digit pick, the best pick since Selwood 15 yrs ago… I feel we were too falcon biased and it’s frustrating seeing others after our pick flourish. You don’t get top 10 picks often.. abd we chose the smaller one paced mid without any real star attributes (with others with star attributes available). Ginbey just looks so much better, with a more athletic physique. Still Clark should be a solid soldier.

Hope I’m wrong but it’s a footy forum and everyone’s allowed an opinion.

I get what you're saying, but how many actually get them right? The 'big call' loses its effect when it's coming from posters who have been consistently wrong over the years.

It's the same with the media. I don't mind Cornes/King/Barrett etc but when you've been wrong as often as they have, your opinion begins to lose it's weight.

I get what you're saying, but how many actually get them right? The 'big call' loses its effect when it's coming from posters who have been consistently wrong over the years.

It's the same with the media. I don't mind Cornes/King/Barrett etc but when you've been wrong as often as they have, your opinion begins to lose it's weight.
Cornes is close to the mark most of the time. If you listen to him in depth rather than only the click bait he isn't that bad.

Like the Bruhn thread - as long as the poster justifies why they think they won't make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You basically just described cam guthrie from 2012 to 2019. If thats the level we get clark at its not a bad thing.

You basically just described cam guthrie from 2012 to 2019. If thats the level we get clark at its not a bad thing.
I wouldn't call Guthrie a star and was an average player for a long time. I hope that clark reaches a higher level than Guthrie 2012-2019

Guthrie was unfairly maligned for years led by a group of posters who, (thankfully in my view), no longer appear on this forum....

Zuthrie copped his share as well....and is a classic example of a talented player just needing time to establish themselves....

Jhye could well be in this category and should be given his chance to do the same....

The moment that parallels were drawn between Clark and Selwood, was the moment Clark would always be a bust in some people's minds.

Joel Selwood is one of the best and most decorated players in our club's history. He's a special footballer. Long after we're all gone, Selwood's legend will still be revered around the club. It's going to take a phenomenal footballer - and human being - to match what Selwood has brought to our club.

If Jhye can be half the player Sel is, he'll be a very good pick-up.

The moment that parallels were drawn between Clark and Selwood, was the moment Clark would always be a bust in some people's minds.

Joel Selwood is one of the best and most decorated players in our club's history. He's a special footballer. Long after we're all gone, Selwood's legend will still be revered around the club. It's going to take a phenomenal footballer - and human being - to match what Selwood has brought to our club.

If Jhye can be half the player Sel is, he'll be a very good pick-up.
I said it when he was drafted and I'll say it again ... I've seen quite a bit of Clark and never quite got the Selwood comparison.

He's more comparable to Jimmy Bartel imo.

Just another bog standard Brownlow winner then;)
Hopefully.

He mightn't be setting the world on fire at VFL level but he's playing again men mainly with no ruckman on his side ... With a team chock full of kids or GFL standard players.

This business of holding over players for the AFL side coupled with injuries to Menegola, etc isn't doing him any favours.

I'd actually play him in the AFL side for a game or two soon and he'll blossom. He needs to be playing with men so to speak.

I said it when he was drafted and I'll say it again ... I've seen quite a bit of Clark and never quite got the Selwood comparison.

He's more comparable to Jimmy Bartel imo.
So he won't amount to much. 👍

Just let them learn and develop ffs.
This demanding instant gratification of kids just gets old.
Selwood was a generational freak.

And we don’t suck - our team is hard to break into .. especially the MF.

It’s not for everyone but I’ll hide my time and let them spool up.

Go Catters

Looks a bit Jack Vineyish to me.

Smaller-bodied hard nut mid that will go harder for longer and have more intensity in tight than most.

That characteristic is great and makes him dominant v 17/18 year olds but will need a bit of time to be able to harness it against men.

Hopefully.

He mightn't be setting the world on fire at VFL level but he's playing again men mainly with no ruckman on his side ... With a team chock full of kids or GFL standard players.

This business of holding over players for the AFL side coupled with injuries to Menegola, etc isn't doing him any favours.

I'd actually play him in the AFL side for a game or two soon and he'll blossom. He needs to be playing with men so to speak.
Is Toby Conway injured? Or, by no ruck, do you mean an ineffectual one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back