Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't call Guthrie a star and was an average player for a long time. I hope that clark reaches a higher level than Guthrie 2012-2019

Maybe but a guthrie 2012-2019 level (ie solid b+ grade 200 gamer not a star) is a good return from a r1 pick. If we get that i would be satisfied.

Looks a bit Jack Vineyish to me.

Smaller-bodied hard nut mid that will go harder for longer and have more intensity in tight than most.

That characteristic is great and makes him dominant v 17/18 year olds but will need a bit of time to be able to harness it against men.

The concern for me is that he’s not cracking in at VFL level as he was touted to do at U18s. He’s standing flat footed off the contest.

The concern for me is that he’s not cracking in at VFL level as he was touted to do at U18s. He’s standing flat footed off the contest.
That's certainly been noticed... His #1 attribute is winning the ball in tight due to going harder than others.

If he isn't doing that, it's not like he is going to be breaking lines like Holmes does or gut run all game long like young Oliver Hollands is doing for Carlton.

I'm hoping he turns into a Zak Butters type... Small bodied but excels due to his desperation.

Might take a little time to get confidence to really crack in against men.

You basically just described cam guthrie from 2012 to 2019. If thats the level we get clark at its not a bad thing.
To be fair Guthrie stared early as a small defender. He did the job a number of times on Cyril over the years and others.

It was the transition to midfielder that was the painful part. Took him ages to nail that role. Many wanted him to be just moved back. I mean from year 2 onwards CGuthrie has played 18+ games.

Bartel and Chapman stick out as guns that took seasons of VFL to get going. All of those guys played AFL year 1.

The player I thought he looked like was Zach Merrett from Essendon.

I know, I know... comparisons! But, I'm not saying he's going to be Selwood!

Probably because we've been so strong for so long....but Geelong always seem happier to draft potentially longer-term project type players, and not so much the 'instant plug-n-play' types.

If we were a bottom team who needed a massive injection of instant talent, then sure go for the quick fix pick.....but Clark has plenty of time to develop his game in our environment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back