Player Watch #14: Jack Billings – traded from St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

picture this. A contested ball between Billings vs Maynard in a big final, how confident are that Billings will get the ball? I'll say 0%.
Such an odd argument. Picture this, a contested ball between Nick Daicos and Jack Viney in a big final, how confident are you that Nick Daicos will get the ball?

And yet, you'd take Nick Daicos as a player over Jack Viney every single time.

We've got enough guys who can get the ball, it helps to surround them with some people who can actually kick the thing.

picture this. A contested ball between Billings vs Maynard in a big final, how confident are that Billings will get the ball? I'll say 0%.
Huh? What’s your point. Of course you’re backing Maynard in. Are you saying we should only be playing inside types? He’ll be in the team for his outside work. Can’t avoid a one on one from time to time.

Not that I'm a huge fan of Billings, but..

Picture this: A contested ball between Viney & Maynard in a big final, Dees down by 5 points... Viney wins it and can either kick it inside 50 himself or give it to Billings on the outside to deliver forward...

Picture this: A contested ball between Viney & Maynard in a big final, Dees down by 5 points... Viney wins it and can either kick it inside 50 himself or give it to Billings on the outside to deliver forward...
Get him to handball it to Daniel Cross.

Everyone on here reaction to one of danster's bizarre take again..

wtf GIF

Picture this
A ground ball contested by Jack Viney and any key forward in the league. Jack Viney wins

Therefore we don't need a key forward.

Honestly, it's probably equivalent to giving it to Kade Chandler. In a perfect world, sure give it off. The reality is however is that Billings' has been horrific in front of goals for many years, the exact area where i'd want a small forward to be accurate in. Especially considering we lost 2 finals due to poor kicking.

So what are we saying here? Billings between 55m-75m out is going to be a handy player? He came cheap so it doesn't really matter but he comes across as a very un-clutch player. I'd prefer Viney kicking for goal in a final than Billings.

Honestly, it's probably equivalent to giving it to Kade Chandler. In a perfect world, sure give it off. The reality is however is that Billings' has been horrific in front of goals for many years, the exact area where i'd want a small forward to be accurate in. Especially considering we lost 2 finals due to poor kicking.

So what are we saying here? Billings between 55m-75m out is going to be a handy player? He came cheap so it doesn't really matter but he comes across as a very un-clutch player. I'd prefer Viney kicking for goal in a final than Billings.

Talking about delivery inside 50, not kicking for goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so he averages about 3 inside 50's kicks per game. Geez they'd want to be good to be talking about these 3 kicks a game as his only weapon.

Meh I think you're the type to get upset over things you've made up in your head tbh.

Billings, should he earn a spot, potentially offers an improvement in an area where we need it. We've given up hardly anything for him and the Saints are paying some of his wage. It's pretty obviously worth a shot in terms of risk v reward. Not every recruit has to be a gun automatic top 5 BnF player, despite how BigFooty reacts to every move the club makes.

Very similar type pickup to Lachie Hunter.

Old club paying some salary, hasn't performed to their best over last 2-3 years (injuries for Billings v off-field stuff for Hunter), experienced and generally good disposers of the footy whilst playing positions that we needed improvement in.

I thought Hunter had a pretty good year, definitely played his role almost every week. Hopefully Billings gets fit and does the same - he doesn't need to come in and kick 40 goals.

Billing's needs to kick the ball inside 50 more than 3 times a game to be useful and improve his contest work according to danster...smh, you cant make this up

He's either been brainwashed by Goody or he is Goody

Billing's needs to kick the ball inside 50 more than 3 times a game to be useful and improve his contest work according to danster...smh, you cant make this up

He's either been brainwashed by Goody or he is Goody

If he can achieve that he’ll go straight past Spargo for whom 3 times is about his limit.

We really should have used that future third on Maynard.

Corey Maynard I hope you mean, we need him back on this list. Picture this... a contested ball between Brayden Maynard and Corey Maynard in a big final, how confident are you that either will be able to walk again after the collision?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back