Player Watch #23: Shane McAdam – traded from Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

with all due respect, why mention career goals, and not mention that he played back for most of his career or that he's been injured for most of his career.
Somewhat fair, but it's because he has not proven that he can be a reliable key forward and at 28, I'd be amazed if that changed. That aside, are you not making an even more tenuous argument by using one game (the Semi) as proof that he's our "best forward"?
Smith is much more dangerous forward than Petracca.
That's simply not true, despite his inaccuracy. Do you think a team spends more time planning how to counter Petracca as a forward, or Joel Smith?

I think McAdam is a better player but pretty dumb comparing the two's averages regardless given Smith has played as a sub a s**t load. Any player who plays as a sub often you'd expect their averages to be low across the board.

Time on ground stat, McAdam 74% compared to White 71%

/shrug

McAdam is in our best 23

I would play him in front of Spargo and also ANB
Correct. Although ANB plays in a totally different position. I'd say we'll have McAdam playing as a lead out forward. Nearly a FF position. Will interesting to see how we manage Fritta and McAdam. Both can play similar type of roles. ANB is more of the repeated runs up and down the wings/centre playing a more defensive role. Spargo will be fighting with Chandler for a spot. Probably a bench position/sub. Not sure which one is in front atm. Chandler started off hot last year, but was very disappointing after about Round 6. Spargo will have to force his way in I'd say with some hot form at Casey. Wouldn't surprise me if he's off the list end of next season.

Somewhat fair, but it's because he has not proven that he can be a reliable key forward and at 28, I'd be amazed if that changed. That aside, are you not making an even more tenuous argument by using one game (the Semi) as proof that he's our "best forward"?

That's simply not true, despite his inaccuracy. Do you think a team spends more time planning how to counter Petracca as a forward, or Joel Smith?
I agree. But JVR also hasn't proved that he can be a reliable key forward. Petty also arguably hasn't either.

I think 1 finals game in front of 95k means so much. I don't care too much for home and away form. Finals form trumps it all. And I remember finals form more than anything. For example, when Lever made that horrendous mistake against Brisbane in the 2022 finals which showed a complete lack of footy game sense and IQ, I wasn't going to let him off the hook until he repaid us in the finals and I believe he did that.

I think a team spends more time planning to counter petracca. Because he's a household name. But let's be honest, no opposition coaches knows the demons as well as myself or any other devout demon fan. If I was coaching against the dees, I'd have no problems with Petracca playing forward. I'd be worried about him at ground level sure. But not as a marking type. But I place an extra incentive on goal kicking accuracy than most. And I think that's fair enough given our teams history with losing finals due to it.

I agree. But JVR also hasn't proved that he can be a reliable key forward. Petty also arguably hasn't either.

I think 1 finals game in front of 95k means so much. I don't care too much for home and away form. Finals form trumps it all. And I remember finals form more than anything. For example, when Lever made that horrendous mistake against Brisbane in the 2022 finals which showed a complete lack of footy game sense and IQ, I wasn't going to let him off the hook until he repaid us in the finals and I believe he did that.

I think a team spends more time planning to counter petracca. Because he's a household name. But let's be honest, no opposition coaches knows the demons as well as myself or any other devout demon fan. If I was coaching against the dees, I'd have no problems with Petracca playing forward. I'd be worried about him at ground level sure. But not as a marking type. But I place an extra incentive on goal kicking accuracy than most. And I think that's fair enough given our teams history with losing finals due to it.

3 goals is hardly the mark of a proven forward

3 goals is hardly the mark of a proven forward
like I said. it was really 4 goals without the free kick reversal. In a low scoring game. Not to mention the 0 behinds which is massive.

But lets look at JVR. what did he have? 6 possessions, 0 goals and a stupid suspension. That's hardly the mark of a proven forward either. Not to say he won't improve but Joel Smith deserves extreme credit for his finals performances. Both of his finals. He stood up when few others did.

like I said. it was really 4 goals without the free kick reversal. In a low scoring game. Not to mention the 0 behinds which is massive.

But lets look at JVR. what did he have? 6 possessions, 0 goals and a stupid suspension. That's hardly the mark of a proven forward either. Not to say he won't improve but Joel Smith deserves extreme credit for his finals performances. Both of his finals. He stood up when few others did.

The other final he played in he kicked 1 goal so he averaged 2 goals a game across the finals.

That deserves extreme credit?

Are we talking about the same player here, what am I missing?

JVR has played one season. Smith has played forever, done nothing of note and will be serving a drugs ban.

I know which one I'd be writing off out of the two.

The other final he played in he kicked 1 goal so he averaged 2 goals a game across the finals.

That deserves extreme credit?

Are we talking about the same player here, what am I missing?
you realise 2 goals a game is 44 goals in a season. 2 goals a game is fine.

And considering our entire team kicked 7 goals in the first final and he had 11 possessions, 5 marks and 1 goal. that's fine. what do you want him to do, kick 80% of our goals? And in the 2nd final he was our best forward, comfortably.

So you're going to try to discredit both of Smiths finals even though both of his games were dramatically better than JVR's.

At the end of the day, his finals performances speak for themselves. Not sure what you're going on about. He kicked 3.0 in a cut throat final. 4.0 if not for a dumb reversal free. If you can't give credit when it's due then you never will. But sure let's focus on that and not half the other players that didn't stand up.

you realise 2 goals a game is 44 goals in a season. 2 goals a game is fine.

And considering our entire team kicked 7 goals in the first final and he had 11 possessions, 5 marks and 1 goal. that's fine. what do you want him to do, kick 80% of our goals? And in the 2nd final he was our best forward, comfortably.

So you're going to try to discredit both of Smiths finals even though both of his games were dramatically better than JVR's.

At the end of the day, his finals performances speak for themselves. Not sure what you're going on about.

He's kicked 12 goals in his whole career, 4 goals in finals lol

How do you think he'll go playing as a key forward with his drug ban?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's kicked 12 goals in his whole career, 4 goals in finals lol

How do you think he'll go playing as a key forward with his drug ban?
we've answered this already...

You know Petty has only 19 career goals...

why talk career tallys when he's been playing in the backline for most of his career. That's such a dumb argument and been injured for most of his career. What do you want him to do? kick 120m goals from the backline or from the physio clinic? 😆 🤣

I didn't say he would play did I?.. I said he should play and be a lock.

I guess if he was able to play all the time after doing a line of coke he may be able to replicate his last game.

Sadly, I think it will most likely be his last game

Everyone criticising Danster's character rather than challenging the points he makes.

Disagree on this. Notwithstanding his setshot yips, Trac is our most naturally talented forward.
Fritsch is our most naturally talented forward... then Smith!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back