Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe needs to play as the #1 lockdown defender. He's suited to Lindsay Thomas this week, and would be good against Green, Edwards and Stokes the next 3 weeks

Defensively sound as he has been for the last two years - Just not getting his run from half back.

Serious question, when do you think we get to the point that we can't tolerate his disposal?

It's been bad for a good 18 months now.

Players like Dempsey need to start to get their whole games right (not just running and counter attacking or defending) or they need to start coming under real scrutiny at the selection table.

Sitting up high behind the city end goals on sat night I had a good view of Dempsey running around.

I wasn't very impressed at all.

Sitting up high behind the city end goals on sat night I had a good view of Dempsey running around.

I wasn't very impressed at all.
Could you expand on this a bit. What sorts of things left you unimpressed?

Serious question, when do you think we get to the point that we can't tolerate his disposal?

It's been bad for a good 18 months now.

Players like Dempsey need to start to get their whole games right (not just running and counter attacking or defending) or they need to start coming under real scrutiny at the selection table.

Dempsey is an average kick - You survive if your other attributes are good enough,which is the case with Dempsey.

Just the usual 'out of form' Courtney looking panicky when deciding what to do with the ball. Some of those Freo goals had Hooker, Hurley, Baggers and co all standing around in a group with Dempsey argueing about who ####ed up. Dempsey spent a lot time pleading his case.

Just doesn't look confident with the ball and runs around like a mad chook. And the Freo super flood just suffocated our defenders and Dempsey looked the worst at dealing with the pressure.

But we have to just keep playing him and hope he regains that aggression and attacking style we all know he possesses....somewhere in that thick brain of his.

Dempsey is an average kick - You survive if your other attributes are good enough,which is the case with Dempsey.

Under pressure and those kicks will be like 2 out of 3 coach killers.

Frustrating to watch.

I've been fairly critical of this bloke, last night in the 1st half he was bordering on pathetic, in the 2nd Q he went of with what they thought may have been a hammy but came back on and moved around alright but still didn't show the required intensity.
Clearly at half time, to put it bluntly somebody put a rocket up his arse!!
Courtenay for 4 quarters every week you have to play "Angry" otherwise you'll be gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not having a great year - I don't like him in the backline, aside from his tackling his defensive attributes are poor (he's too loose on his man). If he plays, would prefer to see him further up the ground, using his speed in the middle of the ground on transition.

Perhaps bring Pears in and see if he can save his career down back for the remainder of the year (or is he completely cooked?). It's time to throw the dice for 2015.

Not having a great year - I don't like him in the backline, aside from his tackling his defensive attributes are poor (he's too loose on his man). If he plays, would prefer to see him further up the ground, using his speed in the middle of the ground on transition.

Perhaps bring Pears in and see if he can save his career down back for the remainder of the year (or is he completely cooked?). It's time to throw the dice for 2015.
Why would we take a forward and play him at half back?

Have we given Dempsey many opportunities in the forward line over the years? I always hoped he would become an x factor for us up forward.

Have we given Dempsey many opportunities in the forward line over the years? I always hoped he would become an x factor for us up forward.
He's not big enough to take a mark, and not quick minded enough to crumb. He can run fast, yes. But he doesn't think quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back