Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Bastinac is also twice the player Melksham is. And if he doesnt get his junk in the trunk, Gysberts and Lucas will overtake him.
Still like him but...

Is this the same Lucas that isn't currently on an AFL list?

Please, continue to turn it up...

I think he is referring to Kane Lukas from Carlton, we were pretty keen on him, thankfully we decided not to go there. Pitty we didn't go Fyfe, i would of liked to have gone there.

I assume it is Kane Lucas, who is still on the Carlton List

For the record, I'd rate Melksham 14th from that draft (not including elevated rookies), behind: Scully, Trengrove, Martin, Christiansen, Fyfe, Duncan, Menzel, Talia, Jetta, Bastinac, Carlisle, Ball and Reid.

He's talking about Kane Lucas I think.

I think he is referring to Kane Lukas from Carlton, we were pretty keen on him, thankfully we decided not to go there. Pitty we didn't go Fyfe, i would of liked to have gone there.

Standing corrected. But the difference between Kane Lucas and Melksham is massive, Melksham's lowest ebb is still very much comparable (maybe even better) that what lucas dished up this year. I expect Melksham to bounce back next year, but I don't expect much (if any) progress from lucas.

at the end of 2013, melksham will likely have close to 80 games under his belt, Lucas will be lucky to get past 25.

No, the Lucas that was rookie of the year favourite going into last season before he got hammered by injury for Carlton. And Gysberts has shown plenty, just on a s**t team, and had injury struggles something Melksham has never had... i would prefer Jake but Hysberts COULD overtake him.

Ye
I assume it is Kane Lucas, who is still on the Carlton List

For the record, I'd rate Melksham 14th from that draft (not including elevated rookies), behind: Scully, Trengrove, Martin, Christiansen, Fyfe, Duncan, Menzel, Talia, Jetta, Bastinac, Carlisle, Ball and Reid.

Yeah I'd agree, but you can include Ball. We're talking about 1st year players. Just shows Melksham at pick 10 isn't too far off the mark.

No, the Lucas that was rookie of the year favourite going into last season before he got hammered by injury for Carlton. And Gysberts has shown plenty, just on a s**t team, and had injury struggles something Melksham has never had... i would prefer Jake but Hysberts COULD overtake him.

Wait, you're basing your rating of Lucas on his odds during the pre-season to win the rising star?

Nup, off his talent as a juniour and the couple of 20+ possie games he had towards the end of the 2011 season. He has potential, and under Mick in particular, could do well.

20+ disposals games to date in their career...

Melksham: 14
Lucas: 4

Also worth noting Melksham's TAC Cup Grand Final was a better performance than anything Lucas did as a junior.

On a final note, Lucas played two games in 2011.

Round 1 where he picked up 7 disposals.
Round 24 where he collected 21 disposals

20+ disposals games to date in their career...

Melksham: 14
Lucas: 4

Also worth noting Melksham's TAC Cup Grand Final was a better performance than anything Lucas did as a junior.

On a final note, Lucas played two games in 2011.

Round 1 where he picked up 7 disposals.
Round 24 where he collected 21 disposals
7 disposals when he was a sub. He must be crap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you trying to get at?
Mate relax, Lucas has played about 18or so games alot as sub due to injury and Melkshams played 60 mainly as starter so yeah the stats will be all over the place. All im saying is Lucas has shown potential and has genuine class, and if Melksham.doesnt continue to improve Lucas could be a better player when its.all.said and done. I also believe that Melksham will improve on last year.

Rookie of the year? Just because he had decent odds at the bookies for the Rising Star doesn't mean s**t. Gysberts tank is worse than Melksham's and his work ethic off the field is woeful. Would easily take Melksham over both these plodders.

This kid rates very poorly in all conceivable measurements as a senior footballer. His draft selection only detracts from his performance to date. He is has been a massive disappointment and a lost opportunity. Looking at this tac stats he was kicking at 60% - this problem simply hasn't been resolved. If he is to play as an outside mid that sets up forward attacks his kicking and endurance needs to improve significantly for our premiership chances to grow.

All in all having played 59 games, he has had a chance to demonstrate he is improving and can contribute significantly to the team. He has failed to do this. I think the selectors need to stop viewing this kid through the lens of his high draft position, cause he just doesn't warrant automatic selection. Would prefer to give some others a go.

Viewing his performance to date in relation to his draft position, epic fail...

Bla, bla, bla, bla...

His third year was the first time he fell below the bar in terms of noticeable improvement and the sort of onfield progression that suggests that he could be a very good player. There is more than enough to say that in his third year there were mitigating factors. The frustration of the bulk up not going to plan aside, year three is just a write off.

In any event donsman4eva has stretched that draft to its absolute limit (including a gun senior player) and has come up with 14 names that could be above Melksham. I'd say that there is a serious argument to be had that over the three years neither Scully, Trengove, Bastinac, Carlisle or Reid have been noticeably better than Melksham. You'll have to really examine the epic fail in detail because if we are going to select the draft three years later on merit, at 10, we are probably going to select Melksham.

You might talk tough but, on the whole, it is misdirected crap.

To be honest I'd prefer if we let Hird and co decide on the merits of each player rather than relying on driveby pundits with an opinion and little or no connection to the club. Even if he isn't as good as some of the other players drafted at that year he wouldn't be the first first round pick to be superseded by players picked later on. You simply can't tell that much about a players future when he is 18. He keeps getting games which seems to suggest he is ticking the right boxes off field, and with the shitty season we just had it's pretty dumb to read too much into any players lack of improvement over the last year.

The kid has been skinny as rake for a while now and asked to shoulder the bulk of the midfield load.

To say he's no better than Christensen is laughable. Of the guys named, only a handful are ahead of him. Trengrove has not shown anymore than Melksham to be honest, and I'd take him every day of the week ahead of Mitch ******* Duncan.

The kid has been skinny as rake for a while now and asked to shoulder the bulk of the midfield load.

To say he's no better than Christensen is laughable. Of the guys named, only a handful are ahead of him. Trengrove has not shown anymore than Melksham to be honest, and I'd take him every day of the week ahead of Mitch ******* Duncan.

We're all pretty happy with both Duncan and Christensen from that draft, not to mention Menzel and Vardy. Not a bad quartet coming of a premiership year..

I tell you what the milkman as i call him ould want to improve out of sight this year. To me he was very disappointing in the season just gone. There are no real excuses for him to hide behind either. I like the kid but he really must start to be more influential on games. He is to inconsistent and goes missing during games. Unless he improves this year he should not be an automatic starter, unless of course we break last seasons injury record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back