Retired #18: Michael Hurley 🐻 - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
At his best his real weapon in his peak was that he could kick either side like a surgeon. As he got older he could only kick down the line. Reminds me of when Lloyd done his hammy really bad and was never the same after that

Great career. Loved by all*.Unlucky not to have had more team success. One of the better defenders in the competition over a long period of time.

* except the cabby

P.s. that better yodellinhank?

Last edited:

When was the last time we had both #5 and #18 available? Feels like a changing of the guard.

"Last opportunity". Clearly Ruttens been told this is his last game.
I think he could ostensibly mean last opportunity for 2022 and last opportunity for Hurls, but I suspect you’re right regardless of the import of those words.

Will be great to see Hurls one last time.

images

Get him up here to Brisbane I want a Hurley Hugs farewell tour!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will miss you Hurls. Sorry you had to put up with so much turmoil during your career, you didn't deserve that at all. Hoping the next phase of your life is fulfilling, and as someone else said start making plans to have a family. Our men's and women's teams would benefit from some little bears running around in the future. :thumbsu:;)

Stoked he gets a farewell game.

I hope we don't embarrass him.
Me too 🙂 I think a lot of the time a club doesn’t owe someone a farewell game. To me though when he got the infection it was because he was going under the knife for the club. In my mind it’s up there with Jason McCartney’s return (hope I didn’t say an ugly word there). It’s more about under the clubs watch he got to be skinner than a rake and that’s on the club. I seen him in the 2’s and sure he is not peak bear. He deserves his spot because he has climbed a mountain.

Comments like this, which are completely fair enough, show that we are still affected by the saga. Respect to Hurls, Chook, Heppell, TBell etc for sticking around and helping the club as much as they could after we ruined their careers. I feel sorry for all of them.

The list next year if Heppell goes to GC will have zero players of the 'Essendon 34'. We need to move on finally.

Ok now I'm crying. Love ya Hurls.

Still remember my son at 9 years old watch Hurls kick that boom left foot goal to help send us into our first finals in 5 years.

He turns to me and says "Dad he's a right foooter isn't he?". After I reply in the affermative he just turns around and rests his chin in both hands with love in his eyes. :hearteyes:

I hope the next phase of Hurley's life brings him all the success he's due. Be that traveling, playing lower leagues, coaching, or doing something completely different. A champion person as well as obviously being a tough and talented footballer.

I'm disappointed we payed a player massive bucks to sit on the sidelines for half of the contract.
Because he got injured and our injury management at this club is appalling?

Should also point out that a) it's part of the risk you take when signing anyone to a long contract, b) it's common around the league for good players to be paid a fortune to do their rehab, c) goes with the territory of professional contact sport, and d) this is why the salary cap is as it is.

Because he got injured and our injury management at this club is appalling?

Should also point out that a) it's part of the risk you take when signing anyone to a long contract, b) it's common around the league for good players to be paid a fortune to do their rehab, c) goes with the territory of professional contact sport, and d) this is why the salary cap is as it is.
I'm just pointing out that sometimes things don't work out...but when you're getting paid 800k a year it can make accepting the situation a hell of a lot easier. Plus he signed that contract after the saga, so he knew what Essendon was.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back