2005-2015 Your Top 10 Key Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Inspired by the top 10 midfielders of the last 10 years, who are your top 10 key forwards?
Mine;

1. Lance Franklin: Obvious pick, latest player to kick 100, 5 time AA and a big chance to end up with 1000 career goals if he plays out his 9 year contract.

2. Matthew Pavlich: Fremantle's best ever player, with 6 AA's, 6 best and fairest's and 650 goals across his 326 game career.

3. Nick Riewoldt:
5 time AA, 6 best and fairest and over 600 goals. Champion CHF.

4. Jonathan Brown: Only 2 AA's and 3 best and fairest but Brown is still one of the best CHF in the modern era.

5. Barry Hall: Big Bad Bustling Barry kicked 746 goals across his 289 game career. 4 AA's, and was his clubs leading goal kicker a staggering 11 times.

6. Brendan Fevola: The Fev won 2 colemans and had 3 AA in his 204 game, 623 goal career.

7. Jack Riewoldt: The passionate Tiger has 2 colemans and has kicked 420 goals in his career. Still has got a few years left so could rise up the list.

8. Warren Tredrea: A member of the Hall of Fame, Tredrea was a 4 time best and fairest winner and 4 time AA. Would be higher but played better footy before 2005.

9. Jarryd Roughead: Roughead might seem an odd choice but he has been extremely consistent and is a coleman medal winner. Still has a few years left.

10. Matthew Lloyd/Matthew Richardson: Couldn't split them. Both champions of the game, both peaked before 2005 but had some good twilight years before both finishing up in 2009.

Hoping I haven't missed someone obvious.

Hoping I haven't missed someone obvious.
2005 - 2015 is 11 years
shrug.gif

Really you can only debate the order here, OP has nailed the 10. I think Tredrea deserves to be a little higher, the cut-off dates hurt him though given his best year was 2004. I'd give the nod to Richo btw. In his penultimate season he was dominant playing on a wing and from memory was a Brownlow favourite that year.

Why are we limiting it to key forwards and leaving out one of the best small forwards the game's seen?

There'll probably be a thread on it within the next few hours.

I'm already contemplating starting a best 10 KPD thread.

On a more serious note, a solid top 10 and can't think of anyone who should be left out.

And anyone who doesn't have Nick Riewoldt in the top 5 or so are nuts. Hardest working KPF I have ever seen. No lazy stay at home petulance like Fev.

Probably got away with being "lazy" because he was so damn good at it. :p

True, he was a knob but you can't deny his goals. Could kick them from anywhere and had an immense peak.

I much preferred someone like Richo, though - sure, you still get the petulance but it wasn't for lack of effort on his part as a Richmond midfielder kicked it over his head yet again. Very entertaining to watch the five stages of Richo, you could never deny he gave his all for the Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good list.

I think Buddy is clearly the best over that time period. I would probably have Riewoldt second as he has been as consistent as Pav, but his best was better as shown by winning MVP award.

Mine would be:

Player (Goals 2005-2015)
1. Lance Franklin (698)
2. Nick Riewoldt (519)
3. Matthew Pavlich (485)
4. Jono Brown (471)
5. Barry Hall (409)
6. Brendan Fevola (428)
7. Jarryd Roughead (465)
8. Jack Riewoldt (420)

Honestly don't know who would be 9 & 10. No real stand outs, as the contenders where in their twilight years (Lloyd & Richo), or only had a couple of good seasons (Kennedy).

I much preferred someone like Richo, though - sure, you still get the petulance but it wasn't for lack of effort on his part as a Richmond midfielder kicked it over his head yet again. Very entertaining to watch the five stages of Richo, you could never deny he gave his all for the Tigers.
Jono Brown very much the same. Still tried and tried despite terrible delivery coming his way later on in his career. Injury also slowed him down considerably, he'd have been a 650-750 goal scorer.

1. Franklin
2. Kennedy
3. Lloyd
4. Fevola
5. N. Riewoldt
6. Brown
7. J. Riewoldt
8. Pavlich
9. Roughead
10. Tredrea

Rating them from 05 onwards, Lloyd is not that high. Similar to Richo the majority of his career and best seasons was much earlier. Lloyd kicked most of his goals from the late 90s -2004

Franklin
Richardson
N Riewoldt
Pavlich
Tredrea
Hall
Fevola
Brown
Gherig
J Riewoldt

1. Franklin
2. Nick Riewoldt
3. Pavlich
4. Brown
5. Fevola
6. Hall
7. Jack Riewoldt
8. Roughead
9. Cloke
10. Milne

I know I will cop some absue over my selection of Milne, but the tip rat was easily the best small forward over that period by a fair margin kicking 425 goals, which is more than Cloke, Fev or Jack Riewoldt. Which clearly shows he was St Kilda's second forward, as such a key player.

Player (Goals 2005-2015)
1. Lance Franklin (698)
2. Nick Riewoldt (519)
3. Matthew Pavlich (485)
4. Jono Brown (471)
5. Barry Hall (409)
6. Brendan Fevola (428)
7. Jarryd Roughead (465)
8. Jack Riewoldt (420)

I like this list. Would probably have Roughead above Fevola. I really rate Roughy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back