NFL 2010 Hall of Fame Nominations

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Source

also fans “voice their choice”

rice_smith_250.jpg

Four first-year eligible players tim brown, jerry rice, emmitt smith and aeneas williams, are among the 25 semifinalists being considered for the pro football hall of fame’s class of 2010. The hall of fame’s selection committee chose the 25 semifinalists from the list of 131 preliminary nominees. also, the pro football hall of fame has teamed up with phillips-van heusen corporation's van heusen brand and j.c. Penney, inc. To ask fans, for the first time ever, to voice their choice for whom they think should be included into the pro football hall of fame’s class of 2010.
other than the four first-year eligible nominees, each of the remaining 21 nominees on the hall of fame’s selection committee’s list of nominees has been a semifinalist at least once prior to this year. The list of 25 includes a coach, don coryell, and two contributors, art modell and paul tagliabue.

The complete list of 25 modern-era semifinalists is as follows:

* cliff branch, wr – 1972-1985 oakland/los angeles raiders
* tim brown, wr/kr – 1988-2003 los angeles/oakland raiders, 2004 tampa bay buccaneers
* cris carter, wr – 1987-89 philadelphia eagles, 1990-2001 minnesota vikings, 2002 miami dolphins
* don coryell, coach – 1973-77 st. Louis cardinals, 1978-1986 san diego chargers
* roger craig, rb – 1983-1990 san francisco 49ers, 1991 los angeles raiders, 1992-93 minnesota vikings
* terrell davis, rb – 1995-2001 denver broncos
* dermontti dawson, c – 1988-2000 pittsburgh steelers
* richard dent, de – 1983-1993, 1995 chicago bears, 1994 san francisco 49ers, 1996 indianapolis colts, 1997 philadelphia eagles
* chris doleman, de/lb – 1985-1993, 1999 minnesota vikings, 1994-95 atlanta falcons, 1996-98 san francisco 49ers
* kevin greene, lb/de – 1985-1992 los angeles rams, 1993-95 pittsburgh steelers, 1996, 1998-99 carolina panthers, 1997 san francisco 49ers
* russ grimm, g – 1981-1991 washington redskins
* ray guy, p – 1973-1986 oakland/los angeles raiders
* charles haley, de/lb – 1986-1991, 1999 san francisco 49ers, 1992-96 dallas cowboys
* lester hayes, cb – 1977-1986 oakland/los angeles raiders
* rickey jackson, lb – 1981-1993 new orleans saints, 1994-95 san francisco 49ers
* cortez kennedy, dt – 1990-2000 seattle seahawks
* art modell, owner – 1961-1995 cleveland browns, 1996-2003 baltimore ravens
* john randle, dt – 1990-2000 minnesota vikings, 2001-03 seattle seahawks
* andre reed, wr – 1985-1999 buffalo bills, 2000 washington redskins
* jerry rice, wr – 1985-2000 san francisco 49ers, 2001-04 oakland raiders, 2004 seattle seahawks
* shannon sharpe, te – 1990-99, 2002-03 denver broncos, 2000-01 baltimore ravens
* emmitt smith, rb – 1990-2002 dallas cowboys, 2003-04 arizona cardinals
* paul tagliabue, commissioner – 1989-2006 national football league
* steve tasker, special teams/wr – 1985-86 houston oilers, 1986-1997 buffalo bills
* aeneas williams, cb/s – 1991-2000 phoenix/arizona cardinals, 2001-04 st. Louis rams

Interesting list....I'll pick four out that I think should ehad to Canton without question....

Russ Grimm- anchored that Deadskin O-line....just a monster.

Ray Guy- OK- kickers rarely get the call, but his kicking was something special- well worth that first round pick Al spent on him- won't comment on his other first round kicker....will leave that for GG and the other raider faithful....

Jerry Rice- Simply the best wide out I have seen

Emmitt smith- the dominant running back of the 1990s.

Sure other guys will have cases for other players

Interesting list....I'll pick four out that I think should ehad to Canton without question....

Russ Grimm- anchored that Deadskin O-line....just a monster.

Ray Guy- OK- kickers rarely get the call, but his kicking was something special- well worth that first round pick Al spent on him- won't comment on his other first round kicker....will leave that for GG and the other raider faithful....

Jerry Rice- Simply the best wide out I have seen

Emmitt smith- the dominant running back of the 1990s.

Sure other guys will have cases for other players
Ah, a certain B. Sanders would like a word with you. :p

Anyway, Rice and Smith are locks.

I'd like Guy and Coryell. And Steve Tasker. I'd like to see Sharpe's speech of he got in :p

I'd be very surprised if the Raiders dont get overlooked again. We keep getting rorted.
Guys like R.Guy, K.Stabler, J.Plunkett, C.Branch should be in.
Guy best punter ever so far (Lechler would get in too).
Stabler had better record etc than Namath, who's in.
Plunkett the only QB with 2 SB wins who isn't in.
And Cliff Branch better record than L.Swann, who's in.

Both Branch and Swann deserve to be in, cos those were the days when WRs had it really tough.

Tim Brown and J.Rice ought to be in, both 1 and 2 best WRs of their era. But Brown wont get in before Rice.

Coryell deserves to be in. And many others deserve to be in non-Raiders on that list.

The thing I dislike about the HOF is how they only induct 4-7 a year, and hundreds of HOF-deserving players have to keep waiting. Imo, they should just induct them all....all the ones still waiting. And just from year to year, there'll be a "class" of people who meet the criteria of being retired for 5 years then they can just induct them yearly.

Yeah Rice and Smith are montes...

Won't comment on anyone I haven't seen so...

Tim Brown, probably automatic, but I think he lacks the profile of Rice/Smith (to be automatic selection) because of the lack of championships. Rice cast a large shadow also...

Shannon Sharpe (though his brother is far better, and will hopefully make it in one day)

Dermonti Dawson was clearly the best interior lineman of the 90s.

Kevin Greene, dominant wherever he went in his career.

Aeneas Williams and Cortez Kennedy are two of my favourite players from the 90s also, but I don't think they could make it this season. Probably need a "weaker" class to get in...

I hope Art Modell gets in, that should be a fun induction ceremony in Ohio. :p

Too many good players available - looks like the maximum eligible will get put through to the Hall of Fame.

Probably be eaiser to decide the 15 person shortlist first - then decide which half goes in this year and which half next year.

Yeah Rice and Smith are montes...

Won't comment on anyone I haven't seen so...

Tim Brown, probably automatic, but I think he lacks the profile of Rice/Smith (to be automatic selection) because of the lack of championships. Rice cast a large shadow also...

I agree Fuey... Tim Brown is also my all time fav (true) Raider. Cris Carter was brilliant for 'Sota as I really loved his high leaps... rarely saw these two every drop a catch. Dermonti Dawson missed the cut a couple years ago so I think this may be his chance. Could do with his calibre on the Steelers O-line with Big Ben treated like a crash dummy :p;). Most of the folk nominated come from my era of watching NFL. :thumbsu:

Pat Swilling >> Rickey 'sidekick' Jackson.

The thing I dislike about the HOF is how they only induct 4-7 a year, and hundreds of HOF-deserving players have to keep waiting. Imo, they should just induct them all....all the ones still waiting. And just from year to year, there'll be a "class" of people who meet the criteria of being retired for 5 years then they can just induct them yearly.

Got to disagree with you on this one, GG- what is a Hall of Fame? I see it as a place for the absolute best of the best- the guys who dominated their particular era, who did something very speial while in the game. Does not always equate to SB wins, as you can be on awful teams and still dominate the league- such are the ways of football.

There are guys on that list that I don't see as being doiminant figures in the NFL in the period they played- therefore, they may not get in...if they do, doesn't it water down the importance of the Hall?

This one is, of course, open for debate.

Everyone who is a semi-finalist in HOF lists annually is gonna end up being a HOFer one day. Everyone who played to HOF-caliber will make it.

The point is, why delay it by having only 4 every year? Most of these guys are gonna end up dying one day. Best to get them all in now while they're alive or their sons are etc.

Everyone of those 25 listed up there should and will be in the HOF eventually, when they eventually get round to it. So why delay it?

Stupid.

I don't know enough about these players to say whether they should be in the HOF or not but I agree with GG that if they are going to be nominated they are probably going to get into the HOF eventually so why delay. It would only really mean a large intake for one year because after that it's only players who are just becoming eligible after 5 years of retirement that are being inducted. If players shouldn't be getting in to the HOF they probably shouldn't be getting nominated for the HOF in the first place.

Everyone who is a semi-finalist in HOF lists annually is gonna end up being a HOFer one day. Everyone who played to HOF-caliber will make it.

The point is, why delay it by having only 4 every year? Most of these guys are gonna end up dying one day. Best to get them all in now while they're alive or their sons are etc.

Everyone of those 25 listed up there should and will be in the HOF eventually, when they eventually get round to it. So why delay it?

Stupid.

Well, you haven't setr any standards- what makes a guy HOF caliber? I don't think the nimination process is it- they are simply looking at guys that might be in the ballpark. I gave a definition in my post- a player that dominated his position while playing...not just a guy p[utting up good numbers every year, but made a clear difference with his team.

To me, the HOF is for the true super star- not the guy who is out there year after year, occassionally turning in the great performance. The four guys i picked out- Guy, Grimm, Smith and Rice- truly dominated while they played. I'd look at that list of 25 guys and see guys that may have been great for two or three seasons, but didn't take a real hold on the game- now, there might be other considerations for why they should be in- so let's talk about that.

To bring in that sort of player dilutes the value of the HOF.

If you bring in everybody, just call it the All Star Hall....

Of course, if you take this entire class, will you just say that anybody who has been retired over five years and is not in the HOF is no longer elligible to be picked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HOF is not for the "super star" at all. It's a hall that acknowledges the 'greats' of the game, and that also includes contributors (owners, commish's, etc).

The greats is not about players who dominated their position as such, but those who excelled. I mean, how many QBs are in the HOF already, and a bunch of them did not dominate. Aikman was a good QB but he didnt dominate the league/era when there were guys like Elway, Montana, Marino in his time. How many LBs/DEs etc who weren't bigger stars than other DEs/LBs of their same era who got in ahead of them.

HOF just equals excellence. To excel.

But what's 'funny' is that the final 4 will probably be the four names you mentioned! But my point was that after those 4 get in, next year, the same bunch of semi-finalists, and others who missed out previous semi-final years, will be in the mix again, and they will get in bit by bit over the next decade.

Like, look back over recent years how many eventually did get inducted after missing out in semi-finals a number of times. If Ray Guy gets in, for instance, this year, it'll be after missing out about seventeen-million times before. Which backs up my point contra to your "to bring in that sort of player (who missed out before) dilutes the value of the HOF".

It's an annual grr by me.....to say, just induct everyone who deserves to be in, not just this lot of 21, but the 40 or more players who are in semi-final ballots often, and then yearly, just induct whoever is "HOF"-worthy of every newly 5-year retired class. Just make a decision then and there, "player x is worthy, player y isnt" and just put them in then and there.

Well, that's where we disagree- I think the HOF should be for the best of the best. Sure- people miss out year to year and get in later....but that's where the discussion and fun of it comes in.

HOF shopuld be an exclusive club- not just for the stars.

And I would say Aikman with his Super bowls did a job on dominating football, along with a few others in dallas- yep, you had some very good QBs in that era- just like we have now....would you say that Manning (P), brady and Farve have been the dominant QBs this past decade? I don't expect them all in at once, but they will get to Canton. MacNabb? Not in my book, and I'm an eagles fan- he needs to win the big one....he's had the chances and hasn't done it. Younger QBs now- whoi knows? Brees? Eli Manning? Let's see what they do over time.

Brady, Favre and Manning will get in the first year they are eligible. If Manning and Brady retire at the same time, then they'll get in at the same time. Heck, at this rate Favre will be in that class too. :p

My main point being that many players miss out in the semi-final stages year after year but eventually get in. But them eventually getting in doesn't dilute the value of the HOF, they're all truly worthy.

Due to only 4-7 allowed per year, then it creates a back-log. Problem is....they're all going to get in eventually, but a lot of them will die etc. It'd be a shame to just have that happen, and the whole snails-pace of induction.

Someone please explain WHY only 4-7 allowed in per season? There is no good reason for it.

My main point being that many players miss out in the semi-final stages year after year but eventually get in. But them eventually getting in doesn't dilute the value of the HOF, they're all truly worthy.

Due to only 4-7 allowed per year, then it creates a back-log. Problem is....they're all going to get in eventually, but a lot of them will die etc. It'd be a shame to just have that happen, and the whole snails-pace of induction.

Someone please explain WHY only 4-7 allowed in per season? There is no good reason for it.

its probaly to keep it more prestigious, if you induct 20 people a season then some players get overshadowed and go unnoticed which shouldnt happen getting into a hall of fame

its probaly to keep it more prestigious, if you induct 20 people a season then some players get overshadowed and go unnoticed which shouldnt happen getting into a hall of fame

quite obviously it is the case - it is logical and the way any sport/organisation would conduct it.

it gives it meaning and credibility - unlike the pro bowl or nba all star game, etc... if everyone was in it and it was reasonably obtainable just by having a career of 6-7 years then no one would give a jack.

it is going to be ONE HELL of a class - they'll be coming through for the next couple of years.

there is quite an accumulation of players already in the HOF in a relatively young sport/league.

After initial voting, the finalist list has been trimmed down.

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2010/1/8/one-step-closer/

Brown_Release_Gallery.jpg

The official Hall of Fame Selection Committee’s 17 finalists (15 Modern-Era and two Senior Nominees*) with their positions, teams, and years active follow:

Tim Brown – Wide Receiver/Kick Returner – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Don Coryell – Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Roger Craig – Running Back – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings

Dermonti Dawson – Center – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

Russ Grimm – Guard – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

Rickey Jackson – Linebacker – 1981-1993 New Orleans Saints, 1994-95 San Francisco 49ers

Cortez Kennedy – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

Dick LeBeau* – Cornerback – 1959-1972 Detroit Lions

Floyd Little* – Running Back – 1967-1975 Denver Broncos

John Randle – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks

Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

Jerry Rice – Wide Receiver – 1985-2000 San Francisco 49ers, 2001-04 Oakland Raiders, 2004 Seattle Seahawks

Shannon Sharpe – Tight End – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens

Emmitt Smith – Running Back – 1990-2002 Dallas Cowboys, 2003-04 Arizona Cardinals

Carter, Dawson, Dent, Grimm, Kennedy, Randle, Reed, and Sharpe have all been finalists in previous years. Although they were eligible in previous years, this is the first time Coryell, Craig, Haley, Jackson, Little, and LeBeau have been finalists.

From this year’s list, five players – Dawson, Grimm, Kennedy, LeBeau, and Little – spent their entire NFL career with just one team.

What's also interesting is that fans around the US voted heavily for Ray Guy and the other Raiders, all leading vote-getters from the fans poll, yet the committee totally ignored the fans vote lol. I mention all this considering this...

Fans heard
Also, for the first time fans are invited to vote for their choice for the Pro Football Hall of Fame with the Van Heusen Pro Football Hall of Fame Fan’s Choice at www.fanschoice.com.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame, Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation and JC Penney Company have teamed to provide the first-ever dedicated forum for fans to debate, discuss and voice their choice by voting for the Hall of Fame Enshrinee Class of 2010. The robust forum also includes stats on all candidates and opinions from football experts, Hall of Fame players and fans around the country.

The Van Heusen Fan’s Choice campaign which launched in September, mirrors the Hall of Fame’s selection process and will name the first-ever Fan’s Choice Class live on NFL Network just prior to the official announcement from the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Van Heusen Fan’s Choice Top 15 list includes seven candidates who also appear on the official Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee list including: Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Richard Dent, Charles Haley, Jerry Rice, Shannon Sharpe and Emmitt Smith.

Others who made the Van Heusen Fan’s Choice Top 15 list who didn’t make the official Hall of Fame Selection Committee list include an athletic trainer, Otho Davis; a coach, Tom Flores; as well as former players, Cliff Branch, Todd Christensen, Ray Guy, Lester Hayes, Ed “Too Tall” Jones , and Jim Plunkett.

The Final Round of fan voting begins today and the top 15 Fan’s choices will be combined with the Hall of Fame Selection Committee choices for one powerhouse list of candidates looking for fans’ votes to become a part of the inaugural Fan’s Choice class.

Fans are encouraged to visit www.fanschoice.com to vote for their favorites before the Fan’s Choice Class is revealed on February 6.

What's also interesting is that fans around the US voted heavily for Ray Guy and the other Raiders, all leading vote-getters from the fans poll, yet the committee totally ignored the fans vote lol. I mention all this considering this...

Well, as I noted at the top, Guy deserves to be there- his kicking helped win the raiders game, and he could eb devastating after a fine defensive stand by the other team- boom! A sixty yard kick drives you back deep in your territory.

But the HOF has no punters and few kickers to my knowledge (talking guys that had that role exclusively, not also playing another position- think Jan Stenerud is in- man, was he consistent, for those who don't know about him!

Get Guy into Canton- although it won't be this year, obviously...

Other thing I note- man, getting old when the veterans grouip includes a guy (Floyd little) from my youth...good, hard running back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back