News 2012 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Pelchan on SEN

Any win is good win!

Wasn’t as easy as people are saying. Was quite a challenging game. People shouldn’t get too far ahead of themselves with what scoreboard said.

Possibility is always there. We don’t have to lose big name player. Not forced to lose one under TPP.

List Profile – Got some challenges that have been widely discussed. We are addressing those though. Recruited 12 new players. In terms this year its strong draft & we want to be part of that. We are upto challenge. Still got talented players at club and young guys are showing signs.

Academy – Develop important at every club. With constraints national draft & free agency. Development of own players is very important.

Sandringham – Longest & proudest clubs in VFL. Some challenges under 12-24 months, but lot work has been done to improve that. VFL alignments are important to AFL clubs to develop players.

Doggies – Expecting big game & tough opposition. Cant take any game for granted. Expect doggies to come out firing.

We don’t have to lose big name player. Not forced to lose one under TPP.

List - Got some challenges

this year its strong draft & we want to be part of that.

Will certainly be interesting to see how active Pelchen is this year (and how tough they are with pay negotiations).

Thanks Aussiethunda and Squizzy for putting those articles up - I had only read part of one Watter's interview.

I wish there was some more urgency in the contract negotiations with Goddard and others.....:eek:

Would seem to be enough non-rookie players who may be delisted to ease cap pressure and open up spots for draftees.

Players in this group would be Gram, Jones, Clarke, Armitage, Ray, Blake, Peake & Polo. I'm not suggesting they'll all get delisted, but all would be out of contract and none are currently in our best ten players.

I doubt very much that Armitage or Jones would be tipped out - unless they majorly drop form :eek:
Trades maybe, if they're a very good deal for the Saints

Would seem to be enough non-rookie players who may be delisted to ease cap pressure and open up spots for draftees.

My line of thought is that if the draft is that attractive, Pelchen might look for trade opportunities to improve our picks (delistings would not achieve that goal).

Good point, Squizz, although why no one trades up and down in the draft in the AFL bewilders me. Why can't you add a senior player to a first rounder to make it a better first rounder?

Good point, Squizz, although why no one trades up and down in the draft in the AFL bewilders me. Why can't you add a senior player to a first rounder to make it a better first rounder?

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

He's already shown that line of lateral thought (in the other direction), with Saad and Milera for a downgrade in the first round pick.

I was thinking more along the lines of improving the second round pick, as (assuming all clubs have the same view) no-one would part with their first rounder unless we give away too much?

Players in this group would be Gram, Jones, Clarke, Armitage, Ray, Blake, Peake & Polo. I'm not suggesting they'll all get delisted, but all would be out of contract and none are currently in our best ten players.

Gram plays 10 games this year and he gets 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You made me listen to it again, Bench!

Thought it wasn't too strong - tried to get Newnes onto Ablett in the last 15 minutes of the game to give him a sense of what it takes to be an elite midfielder ... something we think he can develop into over the next 12-24 months.

Newnes, with experience and natural development, could certainly be like Ledger - and be part of the squad of 25 each week (by next year). Another year after that ... who knows ... but he gave the impression straight away that he was an AFL player (Ross does too - a bit unfortunate that he got that heavy hit as it seems to have set him back). I guess the "elite" bit is possibly over-the-top, but Watters instantly tagged him the next Lenny Hayes - Newnes seems to have dealt with that pressure OK! :D
He was talking about Steven. I saw Steven go onto Ablett in the last 15 minutes, and thought, "Oho!" Then heard that in the interview, and went, "Aha".

I doubt very much that Armitage or Jones would be tipped out - unless they majorly drop form :eek:
Trades maybe, if they're a very good deal for the Saints

My line of thought is that if the draft is that attractive, Pelchen might look for trade opportunities to improve our picks (delistings would not achieve that goal).

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

He's already shown that line of lateral thought (in the other direction), with Saad and Milera for a downgrade in the first round pick.

I was thinking more along the lines of improving the second round pick, as (assuming all clubs have the same view) no-one would part with their first rounder unless we give away too much?

jones would be fine you'd think with armo and gram on the next line.

I would keep Jones, a good tagger is under rated. Armitage has been a bit of a disapointment for his draft position but still worth a spot.

As for the rest, Blake has been a good servent but is reaching the end of his career. Gram seems to have lost his spark. The others on occasion play well but mainly are average to poor. Would not lose that much by delisting or trading them.

I would keep Jones, a good tagger is under rated. Armitage has been a bit of a disapointment for his draft position but still worth a spot.

As for the rest, Blake has been a good servent but is reaching the end of his career. Gram seems to have lost his spark. The others on occasion play well but mainly are average to poor. Would not lose that much by delisting or trading them.[/FONT][/COLOR]

an accurate assessment. there are a few in the gun and playing for their career's at st kilda including clarke.

As for the rest, Blake has been a good servent but is reaching the end of his career. Gram seems to have lost his spark. The others on occasion play well but mainly are average to poor. Would not lose that much by delisting or trading them.

how do you know that gram has lost his spark when he has been injured for 3-4 weeks?

i think he only played 2 practice games

Gwilt & Gram no longer appear on injury list!! It's just Schneids (2-4) & Raph (4-6)

we all agree though that a few of our established yet middle tier players will probably be made way with under pelcho is the name of business.

we all have our favourites, not everyone will be happy but they will likely move to supply the academy and blood a bunch of young guns.

Not injured doesn't mean match fit though, does it?

No but means he is close to a match return . Will probably play VFL soon (probably next week as seniors have bye and not sure if he'd play in developement league)

Anyone see Heath Black on AFL 360 last night?

I read an article about him and his ADHD and Bipolar issues a few days ago, which can be seen here (are we still allowed to link to articles? I say YES)

Having had a close relative also suffer from Bipolar, I found the article interesting. I didn't ever know Heath had these problems

Am just in the process of buying the book, I think it will be an insightful read

Anyone see Heath Black on AFL 360 last night?

I read an article about him and his ADHD and Bipolar issues a few days ago, which can be seen here (are we still allowed to link to articles? I say YES)

Having had a close relative also suffer from Bipolar, I found the article interesting. I didn't ever know Heath had these problems

Am just in the process of buying the book, I think it will be an insightful read
Yeah I saw him. He was one of my favourites when he played for the Saints and I was disappointed to see him go, particularly because our compensation for him was stupid Aaron Fiora. Will hopefully get around to reading the book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back