2013/14 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its so stupid that Traore cant play for Australia because he played in a youth tournament years ago but someone like Diego Costa can play a friendly for Brazil and then become a spanish player in the same year.
He might not want to play for Australia..?

Carlos Hernandez has left Wellington. But I got the distinct impression Musky wasn't a big Carlos fan. So I don't expect he bob up at Victory.

Happy to see Troisi, Milligan and to a lesser extent Rogic in there from our perspective. A lot of A-league players which is good for the league, but its also an indictment on the quality of the national team when guys like Brilliante and Birighitti are getting call-ups.

Valeri close to Melbourne Victory deal

Australia's defensive midfielder Carl Valeri is poised to play for Melbourne Victory from the next A-League season.

By
Philip Micallef

3 Jun 2014 - 4:45 PM UPDATED 21 MINS AGO

Valeri, who will be 30 in August, has become a free agent after his contract with Italy's Sassuolo expired.

Valeri forged a successful professional career in Italy's second division after leaving Australia as a teenager and has decided to call time on his 11-year adventure abroad in which he narrowly failed to realise his childhood dream to play in Serie A.

He is in Melbourne on a brief visit to sort out his immediate playing future with Victory, according to sources.

Valeri has played 59 times for the Socceroos, including three games at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, and was a regular member of the Australian team that reached the final of the 2011 AFC Asian Cup in Qatar.

Valeri, the son of former Canberra Arrows striker Walter, suffering a serious ankle injury while playing for the Socceroos against Korea Republic in November 2012 and was forced out of the game for a whole year.

Valeri subsequently missed out on his club Sassuolo's final push towards promotion to Serie A in 2013 and could only go as far as the bench in Italy's top flight before he moved back to Serie B to join Ternana on loan.

He however did not play enough games and was overlooked by Ange Postecoglou when the coach named his preliminary 30-member squad for the forthcoming World Cup in Brazil.

Valeri is understood to be seeing his return home as an opportunity to get back into the Socceroos' reckoning in time for the Asian Cup in Australia in January.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/06/03/valeri-close-melbourne-victory-deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Official.

Melbourne Victory have confirmed that forgotten Socceroo Carl Valeri is heading home after signing a three-year deal with the club.

Valeri, who plays as a central midfielder, returns to Australia after playing extensively in Italy, both in Serie A and Serie B.

The 29-year-old has represented Australia at every age level, from Under-17s, through to Socceroos, where he has made an impressive 50 appearances since debuting in 2007, including the 2010 FIFA World Cup, where he played in each of Australia’s three group matches. He also featured in the 2011 AFC Asian Cup campaign in which Australia lost the final to Japan.

Coach Kevin Muscat said he was delighted to be adding a player of Valeri’s quality to his squad.

“Carl has a wealth of football experience and will be a very valuable addition to our club and we can’t wait to see him in Victory colours,” Muscat said.

“He’s played at the highest level in Italy, one of the best leagues in the world, as well as impressing on the biggest stage at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

“Carl is a versatile midfielder and I have no doubt he will have an impact on the A-League and we are very much looking forward to his leadership around the club also.”

Valeri said he was over the moon to be returning to Australia to be part of Melbourne’s 2014/15 Championship tilt.

“I’ve certainly watched and admired the A-League from afar,” Valeri said.

“The league just keeps getting better and better each season and I’m really looking forward to being back home and playing in a competition that has such great potential.

“You just to have to look at all the quality young players over in Brazil with the Socceroos to see how far the game has come in this country. A lot of those boys started their professional careers in the A-League, and that speaks volumes.

“The opportunity to join Melbourne Victory and work with Kevin (Muscat) was one I certainly couldn’t pass up and I can’t wait for training to get underway.”

Valeri will begin training with his new Victory team-mates when the squad returns for pre-season.
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/melbourne-victory-sign-socceroo-carl-valeri

ok some of you will get mad about what im about to say.

i like the melb city logo

It looks good, far better than the crap they had for the first few seasons.

But we were offered 1.6mil 5 months ago! Talk about pissing money away.

Its more to do with the fact that Milligan's contract is up in a year's time and he's rejecting MV's offer of a new contract. Its either lose him now for a mill or loss him in a year's time on a free. He's also 29 in August, Victory would be doing the right thing by accepting the offer and reinvesting the cash elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back