NRL 2013 National Rugby League Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Channel 9 has always been on the forefront of terrible sports coverage, but that's just beyond disgraceful.

Not even Channel 7 would scoop that low with their AFL coverage up here.

don't you remember the 2008 afl gf. they were about to show the hawks sing the song and they cut straight to the news. 7s sports coverage is worse than rest

For those (like me) that think Manly got a raw deal last night. Not convinced it changes the result but there were a few howlers that seemed to go the Roosters way.

Certainly in the first quarter of the game and later the East's (slightly) forward pass.
Got to say I enjoyed that being ex-Eastern Suburbs and rl is mostly better for big games.
I have to say I was a little peeved by the commentary.
They couldn't even pick the correct penalty that was a regulation too long in the tackle one.
The hyperbole got to me. The constant references to SOO and yes I thinK Tohu looks great and could play AFL but FFS it was a regulation chest mark - unopposed. Calm down boys.
If you get truly excited about that then watch some AFL.
It was great to see two teams still playing in their traditional jumpers.

Great to see the ratings hold up in Melbourne last night for a all Sydney GF. Not too far behind Brisbane which is fantastic. Good result in Perth too. Couple that with 6% growth in viewing numbers outside of NSW and QLD for the year and it adds up to very good news for the game.

What about rl in it's heartlands though?

What about rl in it's heartlands though?

I'm not really fussed about that, of more concern was the slight drop in crowds. I think it's pretty fair to say the footy this year was down a peg on the past.

That said, in Melbourne and with a team who wasn't really at their best, a very good increase.

cos,

If you want to discuss AFL vs NRL crowds and ratings there are threads on other boards for those discussions. You can take them there, otherwise you'll face Thread Ban's and Infractions moving forward

Cheers

Where have I mentioned anything of the sort?
If you read the posts I've been talking about the rl GF, haven't I.

What I forgot to say before. I kind of had an impression that the Roosters had a season similar to Parramatta in 01 and Melbourne on 06. They were favourites playing a hardened, experience team. Parramatta were soft in the 01 GF and completely lost it in the first half. Melbourne, were frustrated and lost discipline in 06 (Having said that, even with the salary cap thing, they would've been more worthy premiers than Brisbane with the shocking refereeing!). But this Roosters team, when faced deficits on two occasions, 18 - 8 staring down the barrel, they came out harder and outwrestled Manly. Typically, team falter, capitulate or don't quite do enough from those positions. I was massively impressed by that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had an errant thought yesterday, whereby I considered watching this game. Then I forgot all about it, until I accidentally came upon it while channel surfing (my only sport nowadays). So pleased I found it.

My experience of watching League is confined to living in Canberra, during the 70s. The League game used to be shown there before the AFL one. So, I basically endured it. I developed some appreciation for the likes of Meninga, and thought it mildly entertaining. Then I forgot about it for forty years. The only games I've seen subsequently seemed ponderous and dull.

I was rivetted by what happened tonight. It was a splendid advertisement for the game. Such skilled, tough, inventive football. It seemed to me that Manly had the drilled plan, but the Roosters had that magnificent flair which was irresistible. As for that tall mother who kept marking the ball, I want him at Brisbane.
Daniel Toupo, hes a youg gun but hes so so good. Going to be one of the best wingers in the game soon. Hes already up there. I would love to see him have a crack playing with the Giants

Congrats to the Roosters for winning the big one this year. Well deserved after an awesome final series. I think they have a big chance of going back to back next year with SBW re-signing.
Maybe a bit bias as I'm a Roosters supporter. But I really think they'll go back to back. Theres no one that really seems capable to stopping let alone matching the current Roosters side. Even when SBW goes back to union and Mini retires I can still only see big things for the Roosters. With RTS going to full back he will excell even more than he does now. And with SBW leaving in 2015 there will be a lot of room back in the salary cap for grab another forward or top winger. Plus the likes of Cordner, Toupo, JWH, Jennings and Pearce being still quite young this should be a strong team for some time.

The only team I can see equalling them is the Rabbitohs.

I think Manly and Storm are going to start their downhill slides soon as their best begin to retire and they will go into rebuild phase. Same with the Sharks and Knights.

I think some teams that will have good years next year will be Cowboys and Panthers. Maybe the Tigers too is they can start to pull their act together.

But with the current sides in the comp the Roosters will no doubt be favourites and rightly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back