2014-15 Lower League & amalgamated non-league thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In England? Possibly, although I'm not certain. When I was very young (about 5-6yo) I used to "support" a club in each division, not knowing anything about the English football pyramid and promotions and relegations, and a couple of those clubs I still follow (West Ham and to a lesser extent Liverpool) but I'm not as passionate about them as I am Carlisle. I can't see myself ever going to a West Ham or Liverpool game, where as I go to at least one Carlisle game every time I'm in the UK. I have dozens of Carlisle shirts and caps but I don't own anything West Ham or Liverpool. I know if North Melbourne were to fold (won't happen of course because this year will be the first of multiple premierships over the next 5 or so years) I wouldn't follow the AFL, so perhaps I'm talking myself out of supporting another club in England.

I'd still follow football though because I still support teams in other countries such as Ross County in Scotland, Marseille in France, Deportivo La Coruna in Spain, Karlsruhe in Germany, Utrecht in the Netherlands and Fiorentina in Italy.

I had a moment of wondering the same when Hull were sitting in the relegation zone in 2010/11 and on the brink of administration where I wasn't sure if I could ever follow another club. I think I could have found myself keeping an eye on a team's results and watching their games, but never having the same passion, so I feel for you.

Yep, would be similar to me I feel. I have plenty of teams I follow/have soft spots for but none that I hold in the same level of affection as I do NUFC. I probably would still follow another team but be more of a casual fan I guess.

From Garth Crook's premier league team of the week about Leicester's James Vardy:

"What a performance it was by Leicester's Jamie Vardy on Sunday. The man who was playing for Halifax FC in the Northern Premier League only three years ago tore Manchester United to shreds with his pace and scored the goal that gave his side the lead"

2-1 win overnight over Torquay. Puts us within 2 points of the playoff places.

Good to see one of my teams giving me some joy :D

3-0 win away to Hartlepool moving us up to to second last. Curle has made a good start to his managerial reign at Carlisle, we look more solid in defence and have more options in attack. I'm now more than hopeful that we will stay up this season.

Cooper resigned as Hartlepool Manager an hour after the defeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2-0 win and up to 7th, 1 point behind 4th.
Hate the slow starts, might cost us invincibility.
Well, Frickley has risen now to win 4 of the last 4 or 5. So it isn't that bad a loss now, but still, that loss does sadden me :(

Had a 2-2 draw against Macclesfield Town over the weekend.

59% possession but couldn't convert that into more goals :(

At least we're still sitting nicely in 8th! 3 points off the last playoff spot.

From Garth Crook's premier league team of the week about Leicester's James Vardy:

"What a performance it was by Leicester's Jamie Vardy on Sunday. The man who was playing for Halifax FC in the Northern Premier League only three years ago tore Manchester United to shreds with his pace and scored the goal that gave his side the lead"

People are starting to make the same point about Andy Robertson for us, who 18 months ago was playing for Queens Park in Semi-Pro football in Scotland.

People are starting to make the same point about Andy Robertson for us, who 18 months ago was playing for Queens Park in Semi-Pro football in Scotland.

Pretty impressive rise to prominence for him! Scottish Third division to the Premier League, he's probably a bit awestruck going from playing in parks to visiting Premier League stadiums!

Doesn't sound too different to Milang_Panthers hero Dwight Gayle (didn't he start out in the lower leagues as well before landing in the PL?). :)

1-0 away win for Forest Green over bottom of the table AFC Telford - moves us up to 7th, 1 point off the last playoff spot (though with an extra game played).

Pretty impressive rise to prominence for him! Scottish Third division to the Premier League, he's probably a bit awestruck going from playing in parks to visiting Premier League stadiums!

Doesn't sound too different to Milang_Panthers hero Dwight Gayle (didn't he start out in the lower leagues as well before landing in the PL?). :)

The great thing is I don't think he is awe struck. Strikes me as an incredibly confident kid comfortable with his own abilities. Came out the other week in an interview and said we hadn't seen the best of him despite starting the season like a house on fire and being called our best recruit - ahead of guys like Ben Arfa, Dawson, Hernandez etc. - and has actually proven that with some outstanding performances against City and Palace.

Yeah only 2-3 years ago he was playing in non league :D

Yeah only 2-3 years ago he was playing in non league :D

As Bruce said in regards to Robertson, there's success stories all over the league - George Boyd is another - so young players can definitely make it, they just need to apply themselves.

It's getting very tight in the conference at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back