News 2014 AFL fixture (including Round 23 schedule) released

Remove this Banner Ad

everyone else jumped down my throat when I suggested it was an unfriendly draw. The forum lately is as friendly as the draw it seems. :D

I think we play more teams in 2014 going up than down….

GO Catters

I think we play more teams in 2014 going up than down….

GO Catters

I'm not suggesting it's a conspiracy against us or anything. Upon reflection I agree it's not the toughest draw we've ever had, but I wouldn't say it's easy either. Oh well I suppose if they're good enough they'll be OK.

North will be better. Carlton will be better. Hawks will hold. Freo will hold. Essendon will be better. GC is better.

And we have no repeat against any team from the bottom this year.

Stand alone they are not big issues. Sum total of the parts starts to take its toll.

could be worse - for sure - but not a walk in the park by any stretch..

Go Catters

North will be better. Carlton will be better. Hawks will hold. Freo will hold. Essendon will be better. GC is better.

And we have no repeat against any team from the bottom this year.

Stand alone they are not big issues. Sum total of the parts starts to take its toll.

could be worse - for sure - but not a walk in the park by any stretch..

Go Catters

Still reasonable only cop Collingwood once who we haven't beaten since 2011, Adelaide once who have a good recent record against us. West coast have to come here and we have no return against them. Freo we have twice but I think we can win the one here and split them.

Brisbane will be interesting to see how they go under the new coach, almost had us twice this season. North we get a kp return game (not sure the last time they came to Geelong) but certainly had both at etihad last year.

I'm not sold on Carlton being any better next year than this year, don't see where a lot of improvement is going to come from.

Not a soft draw, but I think we can manage 14-15 wins which would be a good result.

They ended up playing finals this year. Against Sydney - as poor and unworthy a top 4 side as you'll ever see - they didn't look like winning. With Judd going to be even slower and less effective next year, Waite another year older (when he isn't injured or suspended), I don't see where their dramatic improvement will come from.
Not to mention they got rid of their whole forwardline of Eddie Betts. And they could only finish 9th last year with him. I'm absolutely rapt to be playing Carlton twice. My favorite part of the draw.

Not overly fussed with the 8 6 day breaks, especially since 3 of them are after interstate games (Brisbane at the Gabba in Round 2, Freo at Patersons in Round 9, Gold Coast at Metricon in Round 14). Considering we play Collingwood, North and Essendon immediately after those games, it's going to be interesting to see how we recover from those 3 games.

If we don't want to do a Collingwood, the team better be switched on when they head over Metricon to play GC, which they haven't been in recent encounters. GC will improve again next year and they're a better side at their home ground. Approach the game with a similar attitude to last year and I can see them beating us.

North, Essendon and GC, I agree with.

I expect Hawks to slip (still likely top 4 though) - they have to find 60+ extra goals to cover the loss of Franklin, Roughead and Gunston will attract better defenders than they have before, Guerra is an underrated loss and there will be natural decline in at least a couple of Burgoyne/Mitchell/Hodge/Sewell/Lake/Hale etc.

Can't see where Carlton's improvement will come from - they still have an average forward line, no Betts and Judd slowing down.

Fremantle could go either way, they have a much tougher draw next year (Hawks twice, Pies away etc). Will be around the mark but not a lock for top 4 IMO.

Being a proud adelaidian cats fan looking forward to the round 4 away game here at the newww home of football Adelaide oval. The move to the city has already bumped ports membership up already, very much a 50/50 game but it'll be historic

West Coast in Perth were almost the surprise of the season. They went from winning most games or at least being competitive to losing to pretty much everyone there. Off the top of my head they lost to Essendon, Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton and Richmond. I'm sure there are more too. Most were bad losses as well. Just shows you can't ever predict things with 100% accuracy.
Tanking, again.:rolleyes:

All in all fairly happy with this from a viewing perspective.

As far as only playing the bottom six only once, fairly happy to get Brisbane and Carlton twice, while Freo, Hawks and North should be good tests. Good chance we'll be 4-0 heading into Easter Monday.

If we're good enough we'll finish high enough.

I think it's a terrible draw, both in time and locations of the games, and the amount of tough teams we'll play twice or after each other.

THAT said, it's this simple, if all these "kids" our club wants to play to create the next group to have a shot at a dynasty, well, there's only one way to do it. Play them against the BEST the competition has to offer, again and again. It's not pretty, we'll likely need to get used to losing more than we have for some time, and perhaps lose badly, and also perhaps drop further down the ladder than any of us would like. But it's the ONLY way you can get any good. It's not "rebuilding". It's hardening up, and paying your dues.

Not only do many here need to accept and understand that, but unfortunately most of supporters in general, and sadly those outside here can be some of the first bandwagon-ers.

I'm happy for the break from footy, and will start caring again as we approach pre-season. Enjoy the months off footy obsess-ees. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just noticed that the second time we play Hawthorn, they're coming off a six day break and a trip from Perth to play Freo. We come off an 8 day break playing Carlton at Etihad. Small advantages like that can be the difference between winning and losing.

AFL620.jpg

I think this backs up some of us saying our draw is hard next year. Interesting graphic. The Tiges must be very happy it's obvious the AFL wants them in the 8. The Lions have got it a bit tough since they finished ?12th last year.

Why do we play the swans on a Thursday? Any reason? No one has mentioned it.
Not only is it a 6 day break but Sydney have the bye prior so they have twice as much rest.
A quirk in the draw.

AFL Equalisation…. We beat them in Syd this year as a 4th game in 19 days. One more click on the difficulty meter… hence the Swans get a free run up at us...

Go Catters

Not only is it a 6 day break but Sydney have the bye prior so they have twice as much rest.
A quirk in the draw.

Sydney often are beneficiaries of small quirks like that.

I think this backs up some of us saying our draw is hard next year. Interesting graphic. The Tiges must be very happy it's obvious the AFL wants them in the 8. The Lions have got it a bit tough since they finished ?12th last year.
But Carlton is ranked as more difficult than Collingwood in that table, which bumps up our points tally. They would have to be the worst 6 th placed side for some time. I know I'd rather play them twice than Collingwood who have the wood over us atm.

I honestly wasn't suggesting a conspiracy although it sounds a little like it. But I do think certain people in the AFL have an obsessive eye on the coin, and there's more money to be made in the progress of other clubs than in continuing success for Geelong, sometimes these issues play a role in the development of ongoing projects, as the Hun pointed out we are the only club that does not play any of the bottom six twice. Your bolded comment above is spot on.

No doubt at all about that. Although I will say, if it was the sole reason we'd be playing Collingwood twice every year. And the Essendon game would surely be at the MCG. I'm not entirely sure giving another club a run at the title (so to speak) brings in more money - North for example just won't draw the crowds Geelong does, even in Melbourne, no matter what.

If I solely wanted to increase attendances next year I'd make sure Richmond get a nice cushy draw. Because their attendances will explode once they become a really good side. Younger fans may not actually realise how many supporters they've got.

on their day though, they are a handful and we face that twice so will be interesting matches. As I said though, I think they improve next year and will be no easy beats either.

Quite seriously, where do you think their improvement will come from? They've got a lot of guys that have been around a fair while now and haven't delivered on their potential, and as I said they still rely heavily on Waite and Judd, who are on the downward slide.

A quirk in the draw.

I've wondered that too? Actually makes it easier for me to attend should the planets align...
Didn't west coast play one or two Thursday games at subi ado recently?..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back