2014 All star thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I also just had a great idea to liven up the dunk contest.

Ok so all the dunks have been done before right. So what is left in the dunking world. What I love about a good dunk is when someone gets dunked on right in their face.

So we invite the best 5 or so dunkers in the game. We also invite the best 5 shot blockers in the game. We want big names too. LBJ, George, Durant etc trying to dunk on Howard, A.Davis, Hibbert, D.Jordan.

It's awesome cos when the dunkers get it right, it's a massive facial. But when the shot blockers get it right, well I just love a HUGE denial at the rim that sits a dunker on his ass.

Now that I would watch.
quickest way to injure someone

All Star Weekend is upon us. How exciting!!!!!!!!

Here's my tl;dr preview of the events:

-------------------------------------------------​

Does anyone care about All Star Weekend at all? *
Is the All Star Weekend insignificant nowadays, and does it really matter that it is?

*(Going by the replies in this thread, the answer is a disappointed "No")

• The "Festivities" begin with the Rookie/Sophomore contest, a game that showcases the NBA's youth and their reluctance to play even a smidgen of defense.
  • The Shooting Stars Challenge kicks off All Star Saturday, reminding us that the WNBA still exists and that former athletes can really stack on the kilos in retirement.
  • Then we have the Skills Challenge, with ambivalent players going at half speed while trying to pass a basketball through a hole - a must watch!
  • Then comes the 3-Point Contest (which I actually don't mind) and, of course, the Dunk Contest: a mecca for D-list celebrities and the event with the highest disappointment to expectation ratio in sports.

Finally there's the All Star Game itself, a game whose prestige has slowly eroded over the years.

How do I know this is true?

How about the fact that this Weekend's game will make it 7 All Star appearances for Joe Johnson, which puts him equal with the likes of Kevin McHale, Willis Reed and Scottie Pippen, and ahead of other Hall-of-Famers including Nate Archibald, Dennis Johnson, Reggie Miller and Chris Mullin.

Is Johnson a dual Finals MVP like Reed? As versatile as Pippen? A hounding defender like DJ? If he played in '92 would he have made the Dream Team like Mullin?

You have to admit, "7-time All Star Joe Johnson" does sound a little odd.

That's not to say I don't respect Johnson's game - I do. But watching Johnson play is like watching Women's snowboarding. You respect the individual abilities; a skill level that you yourself will never reach. But once you catch a glimpse of Men's Snowboarding/superior NBA stars, you see just how much further the sport can be taken.

Johnson plays with a metronomic consistency, whose constant tick-tock of production fades into the background behind the noise made by the NBA's more recognised stars.

He will handle the ball. He will dribble the ball. He will shoot the jumpshot. He will make the jumpshot.

All the while, his face will remain expressionless, as if he himself is bored by his own play.

109351982_crop_north.jpg
109351982_crop_north.jpg

All-Stars past and present usually have nicknames that reflect their excitement and/or superiority: "The Iceman", "The Human Highlight Reel", "Magic", "Larry Legend", "Air Canada", "Black Mamba".

"Iso-Joe" doesn't quite fall into the same category.

It describes someone who is less likely to make the highlights and more likely to get called for a 5-second violation while backing down his defender in the post (as has already happened to Johnson this season).

And yet, Johnson and his borderline credentials (this will be the 3rd year he'll play in the game despite his team being below .500) will once again make an appearance at All Star Weekend, his reserved personality and half-court tendencies ill-suited for a game that serves as the NBA's showcase for creativity, excitement and individual expression.

Of course none of this is Johnson's fault.

It's not his fault the game has morphed into a simple fan showcase, where flashy highlights are the be-all and end-all. It's not his fault that coaches (or whomever they delegate the task to) continually select him as a reserve, thanks mainly to an Eastern Conference that has been starved of backcourt talent in the last decade.

The fans though have made it clear that they'd rather see someone, anyone, else in the game.

In the years that Johnson has been selected, only once have fan votes placed him higher than the 9th best Guard in the East. Eastern Conference Guards that have bettered Johnson in voting include excitement machines such as:
  • Ben Gordon
  • Rip Hamilton
  • Luke Ridnour
  • Jose Calderon
  • Brandon Jennings
  • Fatty Felton
  • George Hill

-----------------------------
As an aside, speaking of fan voting:

Once upon a time, if you wanted to vote for the NBA All Star starters, you'd have to go down to your nearest Foot Locker, take a small printed cardboard ballot form they had in-store, grab a pencil, and fill in the circles next to the names of your favourite players (It was like filling out an election voting form, only much more important).

Being a naive, idealistic kid who thought his votes could make a difference amongst the hundreds of thousands of voters out there, this meant that I couldn't stop at one ballot.

Instead, I'd grab a stack of those ballot forms from the Foot Locker store as the salesperson looked on incredulously, bring them home and fill them in one by one...a vote for Grant Hill here, a vote for Scottie Pippen there.

It was tedious task in some respects, and unsurprisingly I didn't have the patience to fill in more than a handful of ballots (let alone bother to bring them back to Foot Locker for submission). So eventually a stack of ballot papers would get thrown in the bin.

The roundabout point I'm making is this: with all the effort involved in voting, you really had to put thought into which players were deserving. And you wouldn't put your time and effort into voting for a borderline candidate who was an unexciting, below the rim jumpshooter.

In other words, if the paper ballot method was still in effect today, I definitely wouldn't be picking Joe Johnson.
----------------------------------

In spite of my ramblings and undeserved attacks on his credentials, Johnson will gladly play on in this All Star Weekend, and he'll no doubt enjoy his time in the Smoothie King Center.

Who knows, perhaps he'll win the 3-point shootout on Saturday then go on to take the All Star Game MVP by dropping in 10 threes and hitting the game winner after breaking Stephen Curry's ankles, as a dusted-off Chris Tucker watches from the sidelines and hordes of tweens scream in the crowd.

It could happen, but there's a good chance I won't be watching. All Star Weekend for me has become a weekend of disposable memories.

Excellent post above.

I wont be watching the All Star game this weekend either. The problem with the All Star game is that it isnt really a team of stars anymore. The NBA doesnt really have them anymore.

Back in 92 when Magic came back for the All Star game, he was hitting threes, making ridiculous passes, does anyone remember the end where he first went one on one with Isiah, then Jordan. Denying them both from scoring although both were probably kind on him. Then he rolls down the other end and Jordan and Isiah deny him the ball, he finally gets it and hit a fadaway three. The crowd was frantic, it was amazing to watch.

Guys who played in that game...

David Robinson
Dikembe Mutombo
Patrick Ewing
Isiah Thomas
Hakeem Olajuwon
Chris Mullin
Tim Hardaway
John Stockton
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
Dennis Rodman
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Scottie Pippen
Joe Dumars
Clyde Drexler
Reggie Lewis
James Worthy

Dominique Wilkins and Larry Bird were selected to play but couldnt due to injury.

That's a ******* All Star game.

Not today's bunch of scrubs.

These celebs get proper jerseys but the all-stars have to wear those ridiculous sleeved t-shirts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team Hill misses, Drummond gets the offensive rebound. Pretty much the trend of the game so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back