List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching De Goey highlight reel I wasn't frothing, because every thing I read seemed to be oppposite to what I saw. If he is a solid midfielder however with skill and x-factor then you can't really miss with those types. Would prefer that to another HBF/HFF. We need someone who can just about step in straight away.

I'm not saying that there aren't small blokes who can be very good players, but for me those small blokes have to be exceptional to be taken ahead of a similarly talented taller type. IMO the likes of Weller & Ahern aren't that much better than a De Goey Ellis Menadue or even Duggan, so if they were all available I'd be taking the taller blokes first and then working my way down to the smaller blokes.

When all is said and done I like the idea of having a midfield full of bigger bodied types, we have our talented smaller types in Cotchin Ellis Miles Conca McDonough Foley Lloyd & Arnot. In terms of bigger bodies, it's Deledio Martin Vlastuin & Lennon, adding a couple more of those 188cm types especially those who can win a bit of inside ball will make us a more rounded team IMO. Gordon while being a bigger body is an outside type of midfielder who thrives on covering ground rather than cracking in and with Brandon is the only 2 players of that ilk at the moment. That's another reason like I want someone like Menadue to give us another outside link up type of midfielder.

However as we seem to prefer those who can go and win their own footy when needed that is why I think we'll go for a De Goey Duggan Ellis type as they fit that criteria more than a Menadue does at this stage.

Agree with that. Particularly when you consider Deledio and Martin as primarily forwards and outside types. This is further exemplified if you like a prospect like Drummond later who is as ready made as any but still young with a few tools but only 181cm. I am interested as to why you picked him in the phantom draft on the RFC board at 33 only to select him at 52 in a later draft wish list you posted later. Most seem to have Drummond between 35 and 50 on the phantoms so unless they are wrong doubtful he will get to 52.

Anyway your reasoning is part of the reason I like Cockatoo. That is because even if he doesn't reach potential as an inside mid, he could still be effective as a winger like a taller stronger marking B Hill or even up forward including FF with his leap and pace not to mention his experience in defence. Cockatoo's skillset and versatility IMO negates any risk some of his skill may not reach elite levels we hope he can achieve therefore making him a safer prospect despite the lack of relative exposed form against top level opposition. The combine suggests he has the tools to compete well at many levels.

For example he could rotate with Dusty between FF, HF and the wing allowing JR to roam and drift back to the square behind FF leads of others causing match up issues. If he turns into a Judd with a better mark that simply would be a bonus!

Last edited:

utensil looks really good in that highlight package and seems to be exactly what we are looking for tough quick and can break the game open. His kicking looks good but could need a little work for me it's a no brainer. Be happy to take him at 12 everyday

Sure I seen the missed targets no big deal. Looked very much just a lack of match time .nothing to b concerned about combine showed he has the fundamentals to b an elite kick .im not overrating him at all IMO our side is screaming out for a player like this but hey nothing is absolute when judging potential but I sure back myself in he will b a hell of a player if is attitude matches his talent
Why did it look like it was just because a lack of match time? Because you like him so much you need to find an excuse? Kicking in the combine and in a match is completely different. And if you say Francis will be considered incompetent if doesn't pick him at 12, then you ARE overrating him. That means yout think he is the best player at 12 by miles, when really he is closer to pick 30 than pick 12.

The way i see it is that we need mids and more mids with posibly a Rookie Ruck & Kpd in the rookie draft (project perhaps)

The mids that i see as being worthy 1st rounders in order are

Patracca
Brayshaw
Laverde
Pickett
Ahern
Weller/Cockatoo (cockatoo i rate but most might not as im rateing him on what i believe he will become)
Duggan/De Goey

Thats 9 mids that are worth our 1st round selection #12 , Then you add in the KPP that are sure to be taken before our selection
McCartin
Wright
Lever
Moore
And possibly 1 of Durdin/Lamb/Goddard if a team is desperate for a KPP

I have no doubt we will get a quality player with #12 its just picking out which will be the GUN -
Certainly wont be Ellis :p

The way i see it is that we need mids and more mids with posibly a Rookie Ruck & Kpd in the rookie draft (project perhaps)

The mids that i see as being worthy 1st rounders in order are

Patracca
Brayshaw
Laverde
Pickett
Ahern
Weller/Cockatoo (cockatoo i rate but most might not as im rateing him on what i believe he will become)
Duggan/De Goey

Thats 9 mids that are worth our 1st round selection #12 , Then you add in the KPP that are sure to be taken before our selection
McCartin
Wright
Lever
Moore
And possibly 1 of Durdin/Lamb/Goddard if a team is desperate for a KPP

I have no doubt we will get a quality player with #12 its just picking out which will be the GUN -
Certainly wont be Ellis :p
Agree with that. Though I don't mind Ellis.

Definitely need predominantly mids.

Wouldn't mind a small forward somewhere with pace. If they aren't quick don't bother, we have Lloyd and McDonough for that.

We definitely need another KPD for depth. A few too many injury prone guys and Chaplin is getting older so need to plan for the future. I guess that's where Hartley comes into play as a rookie KPD.

I think if we take a ruck they need to be reasonably ready made. We have an 18yo ruck. Can't really carry 2 on the list IMO.

Agree with that. Though I don't mind Ellis.

Definitely need predominantly mids.

Wouldn't mind a small forward somewhere with pace. If they aren't quick don't bother, we have Lloyd and McDonough for that.

We definitely need another KPD for depth. A few too many injury prone guys and Chaplin is getting older so need to plan for the future. I guess that's where Hartley comes into play as a rookie KPD.

I think if we take a ruck they need to be reasonably ready made. We have an 18yo ruck. Can't really carry 2 on the list IMO.

You and I usually dont disagree on many things tigs but on this occasion regarding Ellis we do :eek:

I found a post from a person i respect as a good talent watcher from another site (Bullus_hit)

A few things to consider here, first WA fielded a very weak team this year, most players did exceedingly well against them, but even in that match Ellis didn't really take the game by the scruff of the neck like some of the other first round candidates. His kicking is generally neat but is often lateral or short, not to mention he often tries to be too clever and turns the ball over as a result.

Just going over his stats at TAC level, his KE was 49%, way too low for a player who has a reputation for elite disposal. For someone hailed as a strong mark, he didn't take one contested mark for the season, and his performance in the carnival was ok but not outstanding. He averaged 2 clearances a match, to put that into perspective, Blakely averaged 7.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Ellis is worth pick 12, I would rather roll the dice on Cockatoo if all the others are off the board.

Pretty much reinforces my view of Ellis

Why did it look like it was just because a lack of match time? Because you like him so much you need to find an excuse? Kicking in the combine and in a match is completely different. And if you say Francis will be considered incompetent if doesn't pick him at 12, then you ARE overrating him. That means yout think he is the best player at 12 by miles, when really he is closer to pick 30 than pick 12.
You can say the same about Duggan and De Goey
The clips I've seen of them don't set the world on fire...shanks, poor decision making
It's pick 12... Not pick 1

Go off the clips I've seen...I'm not convinced of the 'class' you speak of...
They are good players I'll give you that

I reckon you're talking about the clips on YouTube put together by Luke McAllister right? They're clips of every involvement those two had during the televised Champs matches (which happened to be probably Duggan's worst for the year), not actual highlight packages in the traditional sense. Go to the AFL website and look up the highlight packages there. They're far more impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You and I usually dont disagree on many things tigs but on this occasion regarding Ellis we do :eek:

I found a post from a person i respect as a good talent watcher from another site (Bullus_hit)

A few things to consider here, first WA fielded a very weak team this year, most players did exceedingly well against them, but even in that match Ellis didn't really take the game by the scruff of the neck like some of the other first round candidates. His kicking is generally neat but is often lateral or short, not to mention he often tries to be too clever and turns the ball over as a result.

Just going over his stats at TAC level, his KE was 49%, way too low for a player who has a reputation for elite disposal. For someone hailed as a strong mark, he didn't take one contested mark for the season, and his performance in the carnival was ok but not outstanding. He averaged 2 clearances a match, to put that into perspective, Blakely averaged 7.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Ellis is worth pick 12, I would rather roll the dice on Cockatoo if all the others are off the board.

Pretty much reinforces my view of Ellis
In the kids defence he's had leg injuries throughout the year. Last year he went at 71%. Haven't got the stats for this year but I'd imagine he'd be a fair bit higher than 49% based on the early part of the year.

He's not my favourite option for the pick but he is a good player. Duggan or Weller if he slides for me.

In the kids defence he's had leg injuries throughout the year. Last year he went at 71%. Haven't got the stats for this year but I'd imagine he'd be a fair bit higher than 49% based on the early part of the year.

He's not my favourite option for the pick but he is a good player. Duggan or Weller if he slides for me.

In all honesty tigs, You might get your wish with Ellis coming to the tigers - But with #33 :D Then i would love him looooooooooong time

In all honesty tigs, You might get your wish with Ellis coming to the tigers - But with #33 :D Then i would love him looooooooooong time
I don't particularly want him but I'd be happy enough with him. I think there's going to be at least 2 if not 3 or 4 I rate higher available at our pick. I think it's pretty even that regardless who FJ picks, we are going to get a good player and it's not the end of the world.

I reckon you're talking about the clips on YouTube put together by Luke McAllister right? They're clips of every involvement those two had during the televised Champs matches (which happened to be probably Duggan's worst for the year), not actual highlight packages in the traditional sense. Go to the AFL website and look up the highlight packages there. They're far more impressive.
Yep...as far as I can see it's still Liam Duggan

Anyways.- I've seen the other clips...and..he is a good player, but you've got to look at both good and bad...and unlike you, I'd rather take a risk with Cockatoo

We all know that FJ won't pick Cockatto come draft day lets face it...so Duggan, DeGoey Menadue or 'whoever falls' will be it

The other thing that the TAC stats don't show is the amount of contested ball won by the players. It's possible that Ellis' numbers have failed as he has been winning more contested ball and not having that time and space to hit targets.

Of course video clips that only show the good passages of play will look more impressive, that's certainly no way to judge a player though.

Of course video clips that only show the good passages of play will look more impressive, that's certainly no way to judge a player though.

No s**t, I'm saying the ones on YouTube are similarly biased in the opposite direction for Duggan especially because the clip was taken from probably his worst games for the year.

I want a player at pick 12 that will slot straight into our best 22 like Ellis and Vlad did. I don't want another Lennon

I can't wait anymore :( Surely any of these buttheads are an upgrade on Grigge
Our first pick is most likely not ready made. But Lennon will be ready so that makes up for it.

Just hope that everyone who wants to reach for Cockatoo won't complain that we reach for someone else because it's ok to reach for someone. ;)

Personally I think we'd be playing with fire because I don't think he's in the best 12 players in the draft.

I'm not sure where this "elite kick" thing has come from? I'd say he's around Conca level.

People need to remember he played an exhibition game against kids a year younger and was really the only one with anything to prove.

If we are going to use the fact he only turned 18 a few days ago well Ellis is only 2 weeks older and Duggan is still 17. So why not them?

Personally I don't mind Cockatoo and wouldn't be disappointed with him at 12 but he isn't the best player available at that pick and he's a massive massive risk that a lot of the same people will be calling for sackings if we take him and the risk backfires.

Personally hoping for Weller, Duggan, Ellis, De Goey, Menadue, Cockatoo in order.

mmm the cocky eh, well he cant kick, and that's a pretty big issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back